Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mounting/displaying prints, how?

Real Name
    Remco

Mounting/displaying prints, how?

We've had a few mentions of printing and displaying images lately. That made me wonder about the different possibilities and their pro's and con's.

For now I'm thinking of sizes up to 60 cm (24 inch?) long side (give or take a bit). Any recommendations, pitfalls to avoid, etc.?

I'm not even considering setting up my own printing chain for now (too low volume, too high an investment).

Remco

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Mounting/displaying prints, how?

Hi Remco,

Back in the days when I used to print onto paper instead of canvas, I found myself at the mercy of local framers. I'm not sure what kinds of cars these people drive, but based on what they charge, I wouldn't be surprised if they drove high-end BMW's & Mercedes!

The alternatives of low-cost / low-quality frames didn't appeal to me - so in the end I switched to printing on canvas and geared up to make my own (internal) frames ... and never looked back, although it was a steep learning curve and an investment of several thousand dollars.

From a framing and presentation point of view all I can think to say is that you might find it an advantage to create a style and stick with it; personally, I like a simple white matte in a simple black frame.

Gearing up to do your own framing is expensive - but possibly worth it if you can make it pay.

Remco

Some local framers are quite good, but as Colin said they sometimes charge what may seem like a lot. I have just had two floral shots framed each measuring 12x12 inches. I went for a 3 inch mount, and a simple pine frame (pretty good quality). They are costing £43 each. It can cost a small fortune to set yourself up framing, and it's only worth it if you intend doing framing as a business, or you sell a lot of framed prints of your own work.

Try visiting different framers to get comparison prices. Listen carefully to any recommendations - people are different, and so too are their opinions of others. Ready made frames are OK(ish) but can never match a decent tailor-made frame. Don't skimp on cost - it could be hanging on your wall for 10 years before fading, and if you have a slight fault with it you will be reminded of it every time you look at it. If the print is dark then use non-reflective glass.

Real Name
    Steve

What are aluminium and acrylic prints like ?

Real Name
    Remco

Thank you, Colin and Rob,

Not being anywhere near a professional in either photography, printing or framing, I'll skip DIY suggestions (and I'm attached to my fingers, violin requires all 10 of them )

@Rob: We've had some other stuff framed, so I know it can get expensive. Those 10 years before fading are an average, or can it be a lot less (of course, no direct sunlight helps a lot)

@Colin: So I understand your finished prints look like traditional canvas oil paintings without an outer frame, with the matte and border as part of the printed image?
    As for the style, I'd also prefer simple mattes (white, black or perhaps an off-white depending on print color/character and planned placement)

And echoing Steve's question, how do the prints on aluminium board or (behind?) acrylic work out in practice. The pictures in the ads look good, but well, they are in advertisements... My first worry would be warping (only one side having paper).

Remco

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    @Colin: So I understand your finished prints look like traditional canvas oil paintings without an outer frame, with the matte and border as part of the printed image?
    Hi Remco,

No - I don't have any kind of border or matte with my canvas prints.