Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: End of the Pier

End of the Pier

This is actually the end of Herne Bay Pier.

I was not sure whether to post this. The concept seemed reasonable at the time but the execution lacks something....any ideas?

End of the Pier
    Last edited by McQ; 26th August 2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: fixed broken link

Real Name
    Steve

Re: End of the Pier

I thinks you fallen of the end of it. Unless that isn't the pier or maybe the ball marks the pier walkway now submerged. I don't know really, it is such an unusual angle.

I just checked it out and the ball marks the walkway blown down in a storm, and the front bit was burned down. So the photo means something else. I like piers and wish their owners didn't burn them down or let them fall down.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    The concept seemed reasonable at the time but the execution lacks something....any ideas?
    Hi Steve,

I think the idea was just fine, but the problem is it's just a boring day there. Imagine the same scene with dramatic lighting or menacing storm clouds. Also, a horizontal shot with dramatic lighting / clouds would probably work if you used a longer lens and just skipper the yellow buoy.

Colin

You have hit the nail on the head. The clouds over the land were very dramatic but the seascape was very flat. The pier and the bouy are just not enough to break the monotony. I will have a flick through the other shots for that day but I am pretty sure they are all on the dull side.

Steve

Real Name

Colin

You have hit the nail on the head. The clouds over the land were very dramatic but the seascape was very flat. The pier and the bouy are just not enough to break the monotony. I will have a flick through the other shots for that day but I am pretty sure they are all on the dull side.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Flick me a RAW file of the above shot and I'll see what I can do with it (If you're keen, use sendthisfile.com - send it to yourself, and then copy/paste the download link to me in a PM).

Real Name
    John

This is actually the end of Herne Bay Pier. The shoreward pavillion end is shown here

I was not sure whether to post this. The concept seemed reasonable at the time but the execution lacks something....any ideas?

End of the Pier
    My recommendation, don't touch it!

Real Name
    Wendy

Colin

You have hit the nail on the head. The clouds over the land were very dramatic but the seascape was very flat. The pier and the buoy are just not enough to break the monotony. I will have a flick through the other shots for that day but I am pretty sure they are all on the dull side.

Steve
    I'm interested in seeing Colin's rework, and I'm sure it will be great, but I'm with John on this one. I'd leave it alone. I think the pier the buoy and the reflection ARE enough to make this shot. It could even be interperted symbolically as coming out of a blue funk. Silly I know, but seriously... it could.

I like it!
    Wendy

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    I'm interested in seeing Colin's rework, and I'm sure it will be great, but I'm with John on this one.
    Hi Wendy,

I was hoping to coax a bit of colour and contrast out of the clouds, but unfortunately I couldn't (too much noise). Sorry