Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Out of a Job

Out of a Job

My Daughter has been very active with her camera lately. She even wants to take an A level course in photography next year!

Better legs than me...
    Out of a Job

Younger and more vibrant than me...
    Out of a Job

She does not get confused by composition like me (one of her photos by kind permission)
    Out of a Job

There is only one solution...hope the water is not too cold....and yes she can have my 40D
    Out of a Job

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Out of a Job

I didn't know about these photography courses when I was young and just went into what I knew best; but not many jobs and if you are the best it is not likely you would be paid much, I think the stipend for an Oxford junior lecturer in mathematics is around £28000 but it is a bit irrelevant although I was offered a job as a research assistant to the head of a university maths dept a hundred years ago, the pay wasn't much.
    I think maybe there are more opportunities in photography with so many different branches your daughter could carve herself out a very nice career, from forensic and scientific to artistic although the latter is probably harder.
    She certainly has picked up something from her dad even if it isn't her looks.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Out of a Job
    So ... if that's by daughter, can we assume that the subject is not you ... and may be Wirevixen?

ps - She does indeed have an eye for composition

pps - What I want to know is how the single-wheeled UFO managed to pass through those bushes just above the lady's head and carry on it's landing run.

Out of a Job
    Love it ... not, of course that it is unpleasant to see photos of daughter! (When in a hole ... stop digging)
    Last edited by Donald; 11th August 2010 at 02:34 PM.

I think maybe there are more opportunities in photography with so many different branches your daughter could carve herself out a very nice career, from forensic and scientific to artistic although the latter is probably harder.
    Steve, I do not think the Photography will be her primary choice as a career she is currently looking at a BA (Hons) course in Film and TV Production at University of Cumbria. The A level photography will be complimentary rather than essential. Graduate pay will always be diminutive and certainly in my industry (Nuclear Engineering) graduates tend to get a few years experience and then go for the high rates as associate consultants.

So ... if that's by daughter, can we assume that the subject is not you ... and may be Wirevixen?
    No it is not WV, it is my daughters best mate. My eldest daughter stayed home with her boyfriend so we had space for one more. I must I quite liked the idea of the Reggie Perrin aspect of the camera bag left on the beach

Steve

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Better legs than me...
    Probably best that we just take your wor for that Steve!

Oh no I can prove it. Rab C Nesbitt eat your heart out!

Out of a Job

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Need a strong stomach for that one!

Sorry I should have put a warning in the title. Make sure you delete your browser history. Actually those plimsolls are designer distressed and cost me the best part of a hundred quid. Am I gullible or what?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Sorry I should have put a warning in the title. Make sure you delete your browser history. Actually those plimsolls are designer distressed and cost me the best part of a hundred quid. Am I gullible or what?
    I'm sure I'm in the wrong job! Current fashion fad around here is "Smiggles" where you buy something for 20c and sell it for $20 because it has "smiggle" printed on it, and it's a "cool" colour.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting pretty sick of it (unless it's "Canon" printed on it of course!)

Real Name
    Kay

Oh no I can prove it. Rab C Nesbitt eat your heart out!

Out of a Job
    hmmm it is only fair to say that 'reports of me mentioning the words 'gorgeous & Steve' in a contiguous manner in another thread were premature..

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

ps - She does indeed have an eye for composition

pps - What I want to know is how the single-wheeled UFO managed to pass through those bushes just above the lady's head and carry on it's landing run.

Love it ... not, of course that it is unpleasant to see photos of daughter! (When in a hole ... stop digging)
    My first thoughts were that she was going in the style of Cindy Sherman who appears in all of her photos, which would make me believe that Cyndy either has a very long remote or she uses assistants to photograph her compositions.

Real Name
    Steve

Mine cost £10 a couple of years ago. I was actually given some money to buy some shoes for a funeral recently because I would have turned up in them, and actually they are worn down so much I look like the hunch back of notre wotsit but I intend to keep using them.

If I'm still breathing I'm going on a trip to a posh place and I'm going to be wearing them plus a sleeveless green country jacket with an old towel hanging out of one of the pockets I use for the camera, with a massive backpack with tripod that I've increased the insurance on, but I will be wearing a new teeshirt to keep up appearances.

hmmm it is only fair to say that 'reports of me mentioning the words 'gorgeous & Steve' in a contiguous manner in another thread were premature..
    And they are my redeeming features. I will have you know I have been compared to Apollo...well the Apollo landing craft....irregular shape and spindly legs.

I'm sure I'm in the wrong job! Current fashion fad around here is "Smiggles" where you buy something for 20c and sell it for $20 because it has "smiggle" printed on it, and it's a "cool" colour.
    I had a look to the web site. This is an Aussie export that has not reached the UK yet. The last one was the same in principle. You stitch two road kill sheep skins together in the general shape of a boot, put some soles on them made out of polystyrene ceiling tile (that wear out after a walk to the coal shed) call them Ugg and Bob's you Uncle...£130 a pair. Still you New Zealanders hit the jackpot when you tattooed a sheep's bum, deep froze it and sold it to us for more than the Welsh version that adorns our slag heaps. Come to think of it we Brits are suckers for kind of thing. I even heard they were thinking of British Army branding. Just think pair of broad arrow designer drawers for £40. A designer jacket guaranteed to let AK47 bullets through or the great smell of Blanco for £150 for 10ml.

If I'm still breathing I'm going on a trip to a posh place and I'm going to be wearing them plus a sleeveless green country jacket with an old towel hanging out of one of the pockets
    Are you sure you are not Prince Phillip?