Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photography in Ireland, Scotland and England

Real Name
    Dave

Photography in Ireland, Scotland and England

Not sure where to post this but do any of you have any recommendations on setting up a trip to these countries. There are many tour groups but I have the feeling I would like to travel on my own instead of being led around. Although, small flexible groups would be fine.

After seeing your pictures of these beautiful landscapes I knew I would have to visit and enjoy the history and culture of these areas. Like in the US each region is unique and there is no way to see them all.

Any recommended special areas or internet sites, books etc would be appreciated.

I just retired and have the time. If any of you are traveling to Montana let me know and I can help you with your trip.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Photography in Ireland, Scotland and England

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

The most sensible thing you've done so far is avoided Wales (the fourth country that makes up the UK along with Northern Ireland, England & Scotland). There be Monsters, Gremlins ....... and Rob!

The other 'bit' of these islands is, of course, the Republic of Ireland (a totally independent nation) which is as photogenic as the rest of it.

But, of course you won't be able to do it all.

Good start provided by Steve.

This is the the national visitor-promotion agency for Scotland. But most of our media spends its time criticising the organisation, its website and all that it does (but, hey ho, that's what you're meant to do with government quangos, isn't it). But it's a good starting point for Scotland.

Once you do start developing some ideas, then I will be more than glad to provide you with lots of suggestions and do what I can to help your trip.
    Last edited by Donald; 10th August 2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Deleted last paragraph. Wrong information

Real Name
    Ben

Where to go will partly depend on how often you have been there already. I'll leave out all the obvious ones (London, Bath, Edinburgh,etc) and just give you some places I thought were really excellent and which will also provide fantastic photo opportunities.

Scotland -

Cawdor Castle
    Glamis Castle
    Eilean Donan Castle
    Loch Lomond (though there is hardly a loch in Scotland that isn't photogenic)
    Isle of Mull, town of Tobermory
    Elgin Cathedral

Ireland -

Cliffs of Moher

Northern Ireland -

Giants Causeway
    Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge

I seem to have left out England but there are countless beautiful places there. Unless you are spending months in the UK and Ireland you will be hard pressed to see everything even on the short list I provided.

Real Name
    Dave

This will be my first trip so all is new. I did forget Wales but will add that to my list. Thanks for the input lots of planning left

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

You've lots and lots of thinking to do and I don't want to overload you at this stage. But if you do make it up here, then I think the absolute 'must do' in terms of landscape is the north-west where I was just a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if you saw this post that I put up.

The small (former) fishing port of Ullapool is a good base. We know that you live and have worked amongst some spectacular mountain scenery and you may want to experience something else. Ben's suggestions will take you into beautiful, but different landscapes.

Real Name
    Richard

Life is so short and the world is so large... Every time I view images of the UK, I say to myself, "I have to go there and get in touch with my roots!" My roots include Irish, English, Scottish as well as a glob of Norman French from back in William the Conqueror's time... In fact FROM old Billy the Conqueror himself...

I suppose the first question, Dave, is when? We will be entering the wet and windy season soon so although there are still excellent days they will become a bit unpredictable.

Secondly, a lot depends on exactly what you want to do. The main tourist 'hot spots' are well listed so you can simply 'tick them off' as you travel from one end of the country to the other.

Alternatively, you can simply drift from village to village and see the hidden country which is off the main locations. Everywhere will have something to offer.

But a lot will depend on your timescale.