Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: One for Colin

Real Name
    Peter

One for Colin

I hired a helicopter to go into the high country on weekend to a legendary cattlemen’s hut – Craig’s Hut used in the Australian film “The Man from Snowy River”. This was shot as the chopper took off after dropping us on location.

One for Colin

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: One for Colin

Hi Peter,

That's amazing - an R44 that didn't crash!

Nah - seriously, nice shot - did you have to "dig deep" with the fill light control to bring out the shadow detail on the chopper?

PS: I didn't know that you have snow in Australia?

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Colin,

It felt like I was sitting on a couple of camp stools, wrapped in tin foil with a prop on top.

I shot with +1.0EV and I processed this in ACR with the fill slider set to around 34. It was a grab shot and the advantage I think was the sun was diffused behind the clouds.

I know you guys think you have all the snow but we have plenty. What we lack are mountains high enough to ski down.

Nice shot, Peter. I think part of that is your mono comp entry, isn't it?

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Rob

I have posted a number of images in different places from the weekend. I had a great trip.

Under the Landscapes thread I posted an image taken in Jan (our summer) and last weekend to show the difference.

I have done a lot of horse riding over the years through the high country but have not ridden on this side of the range. This iconic cattleman’s hut is the Holy Grail for horsemen of the high country.

Now I have traded the horses for a 4 WD and camera (in this case helicopter) I have had a chance to get into this area and enjoy anew.