Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first SLR camera

My first SLR camera

I will soon buy my first SLR camera and I am hesitating amongst the Nikon D60 and Canon Rebel XS. In spite of differences in the price I would like to know opinion in the forum regarding the lens, processor and performance of these two cameras. Nikon includes the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens, while Canon includes the EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS lens. I've been a Canon user (EOS 500) but I wouldnt mind to switch to Nikon.
    Thank you very much in advance for your help
    Regards from Chile.
    Christian

Re: My first SLR camera

im using a nikon D60 for the past few weeks and im in love with it

Real Name
    Chris

There are still some Nikon D80 around new and must be loads 2nd hand. I have had one a year, bought 2nd H a few months old and never looked back.

The D60 is the latest crawl back up the slope since Nikon introduced the D40 for the 1st timers market, whereas the D80 is a slightly downsized version of the D200 with very few things jettisoned except the steel case (for knocking in tent pegs as someone said). I think it is also the only camera descended from the big stuff that is physically no larger than the intro ones.

However the D60 & Rebel XS (400D in UK) do have sensor dust removal, which is one of the weaknesses of the D80 (though not bad with the digital clean up kit they provide).

The D80 also came (comes?) with an incredibly good give-away kit lens 18-135, which has really no flaws except slight vignette at 135 and wide open (again fixable in software Nikon Capture NX2).

Personally I was also just ever so pleased to get out of the Photoshop grind (ignore if you love it) and go over to Nikon Capture NX2 for all PP except rare occasion you need a mask layer.

Suggest you add to your short-list seeing what D80s are about

Real Name
    Ian

If you can pick up a second hand body, you might well be able to afford a better or spare lens?

Worth considering as it is the 'glass' that is crucial to image quality at the end of the day.