Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Replacement foot for 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II Lens

Real Name
    Richard

Replacement foot for 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II Lens

It somewhat annoys me that, after spending $2,000 USD on a lens, that I feel it is to my advantage to invest another $80-100 USD to improve what should have been OEM equipment on that lens.

I love the 100-400L II but dislike the lens foot. I find it somewhat difficult to use this foot in conjunction with an Arca Compatible clamp. Since, I often carry the camera/lens attached to my monopod, I need a secure mount that is easy to use. Having to add an Arca plate to the 100-400L II has not been the solution I want.

There are two replacement feet available from third party vendors:
    one made by Kirk (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ot_for.html)at $80 USD
    and
    one made by RRS (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/LCF-...00mm-IS-II-USM) at $95 USD.

I chose the Kirk because one of my camera club members uses one and I really liked it. The lower price was not a factor in my selection.

Canon could easily have supplied the lens with a foot that is grooved to accept Arca Compatible clamps. This would not have made the foot any less desireable for persons who wish to use a non-Arca quick release. But, CANON NEVER THOUGHT THAT FAR AND I SPENT ANOTHER $80 TO FIX THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT THIS LENS OFFERED.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Replacement foot for 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II Lens

Well this is one thing that Canon and Nikon have in common. When I order any large Nikon lens I just automatically order and RRS foot at the same time. As you point out it is maddening that they don't simply machine the foot to make it Arca compatible while still keeping the threaded mounting holes in it. Then it is ready to go for Arca users and essentially the same as now for users of other systems(e.g. Manfrotto quick release).

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Replacement foot for 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II Lens

This error overlooking an easily correctable fault is very much like Canon for years sticking with edge pinch lens caps instead of center pinch caps (which they finally adopted). When I purchased a used Canon 300mm f/4L IS lens, the OEM lens cap was cracked.

I investigated the purchase of a replacement OEM cap (which was an edge pinch model) but decided to buy a third party center pinch cap. In fact, I was able to purchase replacement center lens caps for ALL OF MY CANON LENSES for less than the price of a 77mm OEM cap The third party caps are every bit as good as the original caps. In fact they are better because of the center pinch operation...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th April 2016 at 06:16 PM.