Thread: New to everything.

Real Name
    Kelly

New to everything.

Hi, My name is Kelly. I live in Derby with my husband Stu and our 2 boys Ben and Charlie. I am very new to photography. Only really used a simple point and click camera. But I've always wanted to pursue a career/hobby in photography. I recently went to a friends wedding and after seeing her photos I was simply blown away. It's re-lit a spark in me to want to find out more about cameras and taking that "perfect" photo.
    Although weddings is not where I'm keen to go... It's photographing children and babies, for me it's all about capturing that special moment, that cheeky smile, that sleeping moment caught forever.
    So if anyone has any advise on cameras, technique, hints and tips, please feel free to get in touch.

Real Name
    Dave

Re: New to everything.

Hi Kelly.

I suggested some pointers in reply to your previous, identical "meet the members" post. However, I'll say again that this is not the best place in CiC to get advice, and you are likely to get better advice if you are more specific. For example, "photographing children" could be anything from studio portraits to toddlers running round the garden, and they will put very different demands on your skills, technique and Equipment.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me too.

If you're interested in the Baby end of the 'children' scale, you could read these in order, as I learn as I go along photographing my first grand-daughter, relating the issues encountered in the first and subsequent posts in each thread.

Baby pics 1, Baby pics 2, Baby pics 3, Baby pics 4

Keep an eye out for Baby pics 5 (shot last week), which may appear soon, followed by 6 (shooting later this week).

There are also a few other members now posting similar in their own threads.

Good luck, Dave

Real Name
    Simon

Hello Kelly - welcome to CiC from an active family portrait shooter (among many things). Shots of my daughter are littered throughout the portraits and pets sub-section of the site, and I'm branching out, shooting for others in an amateur capacity and building a portfolio.

Your best bet is to ask questions on the threads that interest you - read about camera technique, and then try and work out what people are doing to get the effects that you like. If it feels overwhelming at first, don't panic - it gets easier. And remember, you don't need to be an expert to take a good picture (thank goodness), but your success rate will increase the more you learn, comment and question.

I'd start doing this before buying a camera or lenses, as you may learn what you need from what others are doing.

Real Name
    Bertam

Hi Kelly, i'm almost exactly the same as you in having always wanted (but never had the time) to take up photography and love the idea of photographing kids. So now i'm getting started and learning a lot from the people on this site. I'm not qualified to offer advice but here's some pics for inspiration. (I'm English but live in Malaysia)

New to everything.
    New to everything.
    New to everything.
    New to everything.