Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to the Tay Bridge

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Back to the Tay Bridge

I've made quite a number of images of the Tay Bridge, but always from the Dundee side (well, it's much the nicer side, isn't it?). Well today, we finally got one from the Fife side. The beauty of course is that you're then looking at Dundee (Boab - I hope you're seeing this!)

Anyway, there are a few shots I'd like to try from that side. But today, this was the one that the light worked for ... I think.

Again, had the ND filters on to increase the shutter time.

As always, thoughts and opinions of colleagues are welcome.

Back to the Tay Bridge

Re: Back to the Tay Bridge

Beautiful Donald, as usual!
    I'm wondering if to crop the bottom, just over the bridge reflection, and the left side could be an improvement. Otherwise including the whole reflection on the water of the bridge... The point is, summarizing, those six dark lines on the bottom are a bit distracting as they are, in my humble opinion.
    Thanks for sharing,
    nicola

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

I like the view and the sharp (Dun)dee-tail behind the bridge

I just wonder about the benefit to the image of the reflections of the bridge piers in the foreground - I'm surprised we even see a reflection there, given the likelihood of wind on the surface.

Have you used the filters enough by now to be able to predict what the resulting image will look like?
    e.g. did you realise the reflections would be visible?

HTH, Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you Nicola and Dave for your comments, both of which echo a similar point.

On a specific:-

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Have you used the filters enough by now to be able to predict what the resulting image will look like?e.g. did you realise the reflections would be visible?
    Basically, yes. I've got a sense of how much breeze will mean there will be good or very subdued reflection, and how much will mean none at all. Twenty minutes after this is was too windy for any reflection. But you do get a feel of what a long exposure will give you, once you've tried it a number of times with spectacular failure (which no-one will ever see!).

In terms of the general comment made by both above, the reflections were an important part of the image for me. It is true that the image could have been made without the reflections in it. It might have been as good, or better an image. It's all about how we choose to compose, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post

In terms of the general comment made by both above, the reflections were an important part of the image for me. It is true that the image could have been made without the reflections in it. It might have been as good, or better an image. It's all about how we choose to compose, isn't it?
    You said it.
    I agree.

Real Name
    John

Nicely framed composition.

I like the image, Donald.
    I understand the ND filters allow a longer shutter time, but what sort of the f stop is used?
    Not having any ND filters, my method of increasing shutter time is usually to just crank the aperture closed.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    I like the image, Donald.
    I understand the ND filters allow a longer shutter time, but what sort of the f stop is used?
    Not having any ND filters, my method of increasing shutter time is usually to just crank the aperture closed.
    Alan. This was at f16. The shutter time was 1m 21sec. Without any filter, the shutter speed was 1/90. But then when I put the ND filters on and dialled the number of stops of filter being used in to the app I have on my cellphone, it told me what the shutter speed should be. And it works very well.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Donald, I am on the side of removing the reflections at the bottom. The shot wowed me when I first saw it and I have to scroll down (I am using a laptop...) to see the full picture and find the reflections a bit of a bother. I like the idea of looking at the other side of the bridge from the bridge. That part where that tall pointy building is also a nice touch. It separates the scene, that frame from the rest of them.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I really like being able to see Dundee (beautiful light on that hillside) and I especially like the placement of the steeple within the scene.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent image

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I really like being able to see Dundee (beautiful light on that hillside) and I especially like the placement of the steeple within the scene.
    I agree with Mike.

Real Name
    Dem

This is a beautiful and very nicely executed shot, Donald. Thank you for sharing.

I'm keeping coming back to this image to have another look at those reflections. They look great (and rather mysterious to me) and I think they add to the composition which IMO is absolutely perfect. I would not change anything about the crop or the rendering.

Intuitively we expect the reflection to match the size and the shape of the subject. However, because of the long exposure and the wobbly water surface, the reflection of each bridge support appears to be longer than expected and of a slightly different shape as it does not get narrower closer to the bridge. Makes my head heart.

But the biggest mystery to me is the origin of the vertical stripes at the bottom of the image, most noticeable in the bottom left corner. Any idea what is causing them?

Real Name
    John

That is stunning Donald. Don't change a thing. The conversion is absolutely on the mark - Fine Art as it should be and the steeple makes the difference when it comes to keeping the eye in the frame.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Again, thank you all for your comments. I think it's very healthy that some suggest one thing and others take a different view. Thank goodness for that

Quote Originally Posted by dem View Post
    But the biggest mystery to me is the origin of the vertical stripes at the bottom of the image, most noticeable in the bottom left corner. Any idea what is causing them?
    That is a very, very good question. Is it the reflection of buildings across in the city? I honestly don't know, is the answer I'm afraid.

Real Name
    Dan

This is an interesting perspective, Donald. It's like a natural triptych framing of the town across the way. Nicely done.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by dem View Post
    It's so obvious that those have to be reflections of unidentified flying objects. It's clear that anyone who doesn't immediately acknowledge that is not a conspiracy theorist.

Real Name
    Dem

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It's so obvious that those have to be reflections of unidentified flying objects. It's clear that anyone who doesn't immediately acknowledge that is not a conspiracy theorist.
    These things are not flying very fast to leave such a well defined track at a shutter speed of over a minute. I am sure Donald would have mentioned a massive alien spacecraft hovering above the scene (and would have taken some pictures too).

These stripes look more like waves coming from a big flat object that is just outside the frame on the LHS.

If there was nothing in sight, it could have been something under water. Either a Russian submarine or someone built a secret underwater structure in the middle of river Tay...
    Last edited by dem; 4th April 2016 at 06:38 AM.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Donald,

that's a beauty! Was thinking about heading "ower the watter" tae that side but since yev handled that so well, think ah'll head for the Tayport side instead.

The faint black verticals look like vertical banding tae me. Possibly caused by the long exposure time. Dunno if yer using a Canon , but didn't some Canon bodies/lenses have banding problems?

PS no UFOs in or near Dundee, flying zombie haggis scared them all away years ago...Back to the Tay Bridge
    Last edited by tao2; 1st April 2016 at 10:29 PM.

Real Name
    Matt

I do like this but I'm not sure about the crop... doesn't feel right for me.

Its a wide structure, not tall.. so the crop seems a strange decision?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast