Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Well, I went 'n' did it

Real Name
    Pops

Well, I went 'n' did it

I've been shooting for a couple of years now with my D40, as well as my film cameras. I've decided I do enough digital, that I need a back up, other than my Canon SD750. Went looking for a D200, but couldn't afford one just now. Bought a D70 that I could afford, with only about 5500 shutter acts on it. Sold by a pro who was upgrading and moving his back up camera out.

It should be in next week, just in time for the County Fair. Because I'm a judge, this year, I get in for free.

Pops

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Well, I went 'n' did it

Congratulations, Pops! You'll have to let us know how it works out - was it eBay, or someone you knew?

And dare we ask, what are you judging?

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Pops

It was ebay contact, but I caught him before he got it posted. I do know a number of people in the industry, through the 'net, doncha know.

Last year, I was wandering the photography section as they were setting up. I know several of the people involved in putting on the show. One of them casually asked if I would like to be one of the judges in 2010. "Sure." I found out a bit ago the I am the only judge of the photography class. OH, Lordy! Small town, known to almost everybody and I know alllll the kids in town from working for the school district. What have I gotten myself into?

Pops

Real Name
    Myra

Congrats on a great find! As for the fair, bet you'll really enjoy it

Myra

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    I found out a bit ago the I am the only judge of the photography class. OH, Lordy! Small town, known to almost everybody and I know alllll the kids in town from working for the school district. What have I gotten myself into?
    Pops
    This reads like the plot of a movie, where the nice photographer guy ends up impaled on the cross on the top of the highest church in town at the end of the first part.

I recommend packing your bags, with plans for an extended vacation immediately following the fair. With a little luck, the embers of your house will have cooled by the time you return, and you can get your backups out of your fireproof safe.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Pops

Your are soooooo encouraging. I feel so much better, now.

Pops

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    With a little luck, the embers of your house will have cooled by the time you return, and you can get your backups out of your fireproof safe.
    Slightly off topic I know, but a fireproof safe won't save backups; you need a data-proof safe (different temperature ratings). I'll crawl back in my hole now

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Slightly off topic I know, but a fireproof safe won't save backups; you need a data-proof safe (different temperature ratings). I'll crawl back in my hole now
    I just laughed so loud - the rest of the department came running to my office....What 'work' am I doing on a Friday afternoon that could generate such mirth they enquired & could they be part of it?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I just laughed so loud - the rest of the department came running to my office....What 'work' am I doing on a Friday afternoon that could generate such mirth they enquired & could they be part of it?
    If they tried that with me I'd just quick-draw my camera and point it at them ... that's enough to make anyone go running away screaming!

Real Name
    Pops

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    If they tried that with me I'd just quick-draw my camera and point it at them ... that's enough to make anyone go running away screaming!
    You know, I've noticed that phenomonem also.

Pops