Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Problems - Can't get images from Flickr onto the site

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Problems - Can't get images from Flickr onto the site

Have I missed something whilst I've been on holiday that somebody can explain?

Flickr has changed. They're introducing new pages. But also the way that they're displaying the link code that we copied and pasted has changed and is accessed via drop down. I'm trying to copy and paste to put an image in Themed Competition #7 and ... IT AIN'T WORKING. It just isn't showing the image once I save the post.

Any Flickr users know the answer?

Desperate Donald!
    Last edited by Donald; 4th August 2010 at 04:12 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Problems - Can't get images from Flickr onto the site

Okay

Problem sort of solved, but someone may know of an easier way.

I found that I had to go to the 'Share This' drop down and instead of using 'Grab the Link' which talks about cutting pasting the link code, you have to choose 'Grab the HTML' and highlight that bit of the HTML that corresponds with what used to be the link code; i.e. from "http://farm5.static.flickr ... " to "... _b.jpg. Note - this is not the first part that starts http etc, but where http appears for the second time in the thread.

There's got to be an easier way, or is Flickr just trying to stop us doing this sort of thing?

Real Name
    Jeroen

Hi Donald,
    I was wondering the same thing since I found out it was changed. It do it the same way as you do now. I also wonder if it can't be done easier, but it appears that is not possible. This because you have to get the direct link to the image, and not the link to the page it is showed on.

And therefore: if there is someone who can't figure it out him selves, I (or Donald, right?) will post a clear explanation/ tutorial about how to do it.

Be sure you pick the "Large" format underneath the dialogue box mentioned above before you copy the link so you get your full 900 pixels photo like you resized it in the PP.

Edit:
    I thought about it for a couple of moments and I think I might have an answer.
    or is Flickr just trying to stop us doing this sort of thing?
    If I remember correctly the old version of Flickr mentioned that image posted on a forum or a site had to be click-able links, that was some kind of copyright regulation from Flickr (I don't know exactly how to call it). I've read this message but never tried to make a posted photo click-able. This because I never searched how to do so (the line in the Flickr dialogue box doesn't work on the Cic forums, my primary place to post ).

So yes, I think this is a way for Flickr to stop us posting images without making them click-able.

Edit 2:
    If you have Google Chrome (like I do) you can get a direct html. Go to the large view, click the right mouse button and select copy the images link. This is only possible if the user hasn't prohibited sharing his images (but that isn't the case if it is one image of your own).
    Last edited by JK6065; 4th August 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Real Name
    Yi

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    This because I never searched how to do so (the line in the Flickr dialogue box doesn't work on the Cic forums, my primary place to post ).
    I think that post permission has been set:
    HTML code is Off
    so you cannot post click-able photos from Flickr.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    Edit 2:
    If you have Google Chrome (like I do) you can get a direct html. Go to the large view, click the right mouse button and select copy the images link. This is only possible if the user hasn't prohibited sharing his images (but that isn't the case if it is one image of your own).
    Brilliant. Well done Jeroen. That gives a workable solution.

Real Name
    António Correia

I am glad that I was not the only one to have this difficulty ...

I have thought that it was all my fault but I see it is not. I am happier now

The video is not great but it is what I was able to do now...

Last edited by Antonio Correia; 5th August 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Antonio, I can't view the vid as it is set to "private". Would you be able to make it public?

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Jeroen's solution also works with Firefox.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Antonio, I can't view the vid as it is set to "private". Would you be able to make it public?
    Done. Sorry. Thank you

Real Name
    António Correia

Better but nor perfect. So far ...
    I'll do it. I'll do it ...

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Okay

Problem sort of solved, but someone may know of an easier way.

I found that I had to go to the 'Share This' drop down and instead of using 'Grab the Link' which talks about cutting pasting the link code, you have to choose 'Grab the HTML' and highlight that bit of the HTML that corresponds with what used to be the link code; i.e. from "http://farm5.static.flickr ... " to "... _b.jpg. Note - this is not the first part that starts http etc, but where http appears for the second time in the thread.

There's got to be an easier way, or is Flickr just trying to stop us doing this sort of thing?
    I guess this might be the best way still if you want to be flexible. Mainly, because you can select your preferred format here. But it is more work than it was. Still the new slideshow (lightbox as Flickr calls it) looks great. Nice big pictures and clicking through seems quicker than the old way.