Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Low light photography

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Low light photography

From my Canon 20 D, I shot this last October. ISO 800 1/640 sec f2.8 80-200 f2.8 zoom at 130 mm focal length. Too bad I don't have the bucks for a 5D.

I have to say that the noise levels are really good at that high an ISO. I haven't even used Noise Ninja on it yet.

Low light photography

Comments appreciated.

Re: Low light photography

i have done lot of low light photography of lives shows and concerts its my favorite category this pic does bring back lot of great memories i think this is a good pic with lots of interesting points,in the visual dept very dramatic image indeed! it will surely keep the viewer glued :Specially to the exposed tit if it is that! good composition,focus could have been better,can be bettered in ps too

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Taken,
    Thanks for commenting. Sorry to disappoint you but that wasn't an exposed you know what. When I first opened the image in photoshop, that's what I thought too. See this higher resolution picture.
    Low light photography

It's actually sharp and I didn't feel the need to sharpen in photoshop since I'm not printing it.

I'm no professional, but I think this picture is absolutely amazing. I love playing with low-light photography, though I'm just starting out, and I love theatre and live performances. This picture is magical in my opinion. Great work!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Pete, I agree with missjuliet, for me this picture works because the lighting is theatrical and high contrast, (but not too high) and the rim lighting on the hair is great.

I might suggest you were lucky, or had several frames to choose from (20D has good frame rate I gather), regarding the excellent position of the performer in front of the lamp.

I had thought to suggest that a wider framing showing the tip of the performers left foot would be better, but having imagined it, I think this would leave it looking very 'unbalanced' as I think the subject needs that 'anchor point' to the frame.

As you say, noise is, for me, perfectly acceptable.

I might try it with a touch of warming up on colour temp., but I accept the way it is, is probably the way it was.

That's a long way of saying it's a great shot and I can't think of much you could have done/do to improve it.

Regards, Dave

PS welcome missjuliet, do post us a picture or 2 when you get a chance, I find if one can't put your finger on why one's own pics aren't 'great', these forums offer a good place to get helpful suggestions.

Real Name
    Peter Phun

rustyshutter,
    You're right about luck. However after 2 decades of working as a newspaper photographer, I hope I can make my own luck nowadays.

Thanks for your comments. Theatrical lighting is great to shoot because it's always dramatic.

msjuliet,
    thanks for your kind remarks. I had several frames of this naturally. This was my favorite frame because of the backlighting, her body position and exposed face. Other frames doesn't show her face as well.

I generally don't tweak my images too much since I hardly print anything
    Last edited by pixel pete; 21st November 2008 at 04:37 PM.