Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portable Tripod

Real Name
    Pat

Portable Tripod

Hi Folks. I have recently viewed on line,the Trek Tech Optera 460 and it looks suited to my needs but i have no experience of the product other than on line. I would be much obliged for your thoughts on the above, Best Wishes to all.

Real Name
    omid

Re: Portable Tripod

hi,
    if you may tell us which camera for what purpose are you going to use that would do a great help.

Real Name
    Jim

I have one of these,but have only used it a few times.It works as advertised.Well constructed,easy to manipulate and the magnets used for mounting are very strong!

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you for your reply. I use a canon 50D with a 100-400mm lens and am prone to get low to the ground to shoot wildlife such as birds at their level.

Real Name
    Jim

I think the Optera will work fine for you.I used the same combo with mine and it worked great.

I'm not familiar with that tripod but this year I purchased a Velbon Luxi L tripod for use as a lightweight easy carry tripod.

It folds up into 4 sections with an overall length of 14 ins approx, which is small enough to fit inside my backpack. The centre column is in 2 screw together sections so only using the shorter one will get you to around 3 ins above ground.

Costs a little under £100 and is reasonably stable with 40D and 180 macro lens. I even use the Sigma 150-500 on it.

But for serious work I still use my Manfrotto. Although it is a bit on the heavy side and isn't cheap.

Real Name
    Chris

just for later searchers like me!

The optera 460 has very limited use and cannot really be compared to a metal (or CF) legs job. First off, it needs something flat to support it. 2nd even carefully set up and with restraint cords adjusted, the camera can wobble as if sitting on a jelly, so mirror-up or shutter delay is essential.

Having no head you can be monkeying around for quite a long time to get a pic that still needs levelling.

But, yes, it goes in a pocket, provides a safe support (my camera + lens 2030g), and OK indoors, garden and in flat rock landscape

2nd hand one available here for UK readers!