Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveways (or Entrances)

Real Name
    Peter

Driveways (or Entrances)

Driveways always fascinate me. People either spend a lot of time and money on making the entrance to their property something special or don’t bother. I am sure they take on different styles and importance around the world.

Driveways and entrances always seem to have some form of composition structure that is suited to photography.

Here are a couple and maybe others would like to add to this thread.

Driveways (or Entrances)

Driveways (or Entrances)

Real Name
    Kay

Re: Driveways (or Entrances)

I agree Peter - there is an especially nice drive down a small side road in New Zealand that we went through every year on our way to Arrowtown (little village near Queenstown) that was lined on either side with Poplar (was I think the name) Trees. They looked magnificent in any season, but of course best in Autumn.

This entrance to the Equestrian centre reminded me of that road. I tried to set up a shot when we had a comp' there in Autumn.
    I chose only chestnut horses/pony, but the dynamics of having them side by side down the driveway just didn't work. Apparently they just don't like to walk that close together with strangers!.
    Anyway even though it didn't turn out exactly as planned, I'm sure I'll keep learning if I experiment with compositions while I'm meant to be out shooting the sporting action.

Driveways (or Entrances)

Real Name
    Alan

I gotta to be agree with you. The driveway sometime feel special to me, especially(sp) a driveway that is no longer on the map and never use again like I just found today near the lake in Mississippi.

Driveways (or Entrances)
    Driveways (or Entrances)

This is a Wolf Creek Road that had been closed for more than 20 years(?). That road used to be on the way to the national park. It's just amazing that the road is closed and the stop sign is still there and dying. The color is fading away.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Alan,

With the overgrowth and lack of use it actually looks a bit haunting. We have a meteor crater in Australia called Wolf Crater and they made this very terrifying horror movie around it so the name Wolf Creek Rd conjures up some bad feelings.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I agree Peter - there is an especially nice drive down a small side road in New Zealand that we went through every year on our way to Arrowtown (little village near Queenstown) that was lined on either side with Poplar (was I think the name) Trees. They looked magnificent in any season, but of course best in Autumn.

This entrance to the Equestrian centre reminded me of that road. I tried to set up a shot when we had a comp' there in Autumn.
    I chose only chestnut horses/pony, but the dynamics of having them side by side down the driveway just didn't work. Apparently they just don't like to walk that close together with strangers!.
    Anyway even though it didn't turn out exactly as planned, I'm sure I'll keep learning if I experiment with compositions while I'm meant to be out shooting the sporting action.

Driveways (or Entrances)
    Hi Kay,

You are an equestrian fan as well. We have pleasure horses although my back is such I do not ride much anymore. My partner does adult riding club dressage but most of my riding was 5 - 7 days camping out lost in the high country

The composition of diminishing lines on the road and the repetition of trees plus the autumn colours makes for a lovely image.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Alan,

With the overgrowth and lack of use it actually looks a bit haunting. We have a meteor crater in Australia called Wolf Crater and they made this very terrifying horror movie around it so the name Wolf Creek Rd conjures up some bad feelings.
    I saw the movie and read the back ground of the incident at www.crimelibrary.com. Very chilling indeed!

Real Name
    Grant

Lavender Walk

Driveways (or Entrances)

This is the entrance to a magical coffee shop and restaurant - Akaroa, Banks Peninsula, NZ

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Lavender Walk

Quote Originally Posted by mastamak View Post
    Driveways (or Entrances)

This is the entrance to a magical coffee shop and restaurant - Akaroa, Banks Peninsula, NZ
    Nicely spotted Grant, it has a very nice feel to it. I could see myself enjoying a coffee there.

Real Name
    Peter

This is a shot of our driveway in the winter.

Driveways (or Entrances)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Peter,

Must be lots of fog this time of year?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post

Driveways (or Entrances)
    At a quick glance, such a sharp, crisp image filled with a proud cheerfulness.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Peter,

Must be lots of fog this time of year?
    Kyneton gets those fogs that can hang around all day, like this one. The one advantage is that as the sun rises the fog acts like a big diffuser and is quiet bright. In the mornings the sun is not as strong and passes through much more fog given its angle and can be much greyer.

Real Name
    Shauna Seymore

Driveways (or Entrances)

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Driveways (or Entrances)
    Definitely 4 wheel drive country. Where does it lead to?

Real Name
    Shauna Seymore

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Definitely 4 wheel drive country. Where does it lead to?
    I guess its the entrance to our campsite..not techically a driveway or entrance..i just love the way the trees lined the road..its a fourwheeler or ranger road only..there is not a compact car on the road that could fit to drive it some parts are super tight..

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    ..its a fourwheeler or ranger road only..there is not a compact car on the road that could fit to drive it some parts are super tight..
    Hah,

I guess US compacts still have some 'catching up' to do with Europe.

Most 4WD vehicles are way bigger than the average car on the road in UK, although those same 'compacts' have low ground clearance, so you still wouldn't take it down there

(unless I am mis-understanding 'tight' - in UK, I'd take that to mean sharp corners a long or wide car couldn't get around)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Peter

HI Dave,

Us Aussies understand 'tight', must be a convict thing, squeezing into small ships for long voyages - you are correct in your thoughts.

Real Name
    Wendy

Productive Entranceway

Collecting Sap for Maple Syrup on a farm laneway

Driveways (or Entrances)

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Productive Entranceway

Hi Wendy,

Well that is something I haven't seen before. How long do they leave the buckets son the trees and do they do any other processing of the syrup?

Real Name
    Peter

Here are a couple from around our area. The first is from an older solid brick home that has been in the area for many years. The drive is right on top of a very steep hill and not used much any more as it is now in a blind spot for drivers as they approach the crest of the hill.

Driveways (or Entrances)

The second is a more modern driveway from a working farm showing the drought conditions we have had for nearly 8 years now.

Driveways (or Entrances)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast