Thread: Log Pile

Real Name
    Ted

Log Pile

Inspired by the thread about Stephen Shore and talk of shooting "ordinary things", I thought of my latest tree-felling activity and the resulting clean-up work. Before I got into photography, I had snapped a log pile or two, one in France IIRC and a big one in Canuckistan long ago.

The purpose of this shot was to record work done before it rots and to do my very best as regards lighting, depth of field and excruciating sharpness (after all, we're talking Sigma here, ho, ho). Therefore, seekers of perfect composition and correct aspect will likely be disappointed.

Here we go (detail looks best when image is clicked on and then expanded to full screen):

Log Pile

Sigma SD1M with 50mm macro f/2.8 EX DG

Upper right-hand log slightly blown on it's top edge :-(

Comments welcome . . .
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 24th February 2016 at 08:29 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Log Pile

For some that's not so ordinary. Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Matt

Its a nice shot Ted, I really like the light.

I would crop it a little tighter though

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Its a nice shot Ted, I really like the light.
    Yes, a matter of waiting for the Texas sun to attain a suitable angle. It was behind some trees. When it gets higher and more direct the contrast gets perhaps too much.

I would crop it a little tighter though
    This OK, d'ya think?

Log Pile

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Yes, a matter of waiting for the Texas sun to attain a suitable angle. It was behind some trees. When it gets higher and more direct the contrast gets perhaps too much.

This OK, d'ya think?

Log Pile
    Much better for me Log Pile

Real Name
    Jim

Looks like a big pile to me.

Real Name
    Shane

That's a lot of work and a nice record of it Ted! I prefer the tighter crop that Matt suggested but might have left a bit more of the foreground as I really like that shadow.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

To fall those trees need muskels,mate! so leaving that falling up to you. In the meantime image-wise I like both of them. The first one is a work of art -- the sun light you put emphasis on, the sharpness is very nice but I like the smoothness of the woodcut too even when not enlarged. The second is too natural looking though that needs just a tad (not as much as #1) more brightener to look more natural. I like both.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    I prefer the tighter crop that Matt suggested but might have left a bit more of the foreground as I really like that shadow.
    Good point about the shadow, Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK
    The first one is a work of art -- the sun light you put emphasis on, the sharpness is very nice but I like the smoothness of the woodcut too even when not enlarged. The second is too natural looking though that needs just a tad (not as much as #1) more brightener to look more natural. I like both.
    Thanks, Izzie, glad you liked them. The second image was supposed to be a simple crop of the first, so maybe I touched something without realizing it.

Brightening was a general problem for me with this image because, even though the sunlight was coming through trees, it ended up with a good few specular highlights that I didn't like. As I use nothing that can do Layers or Masks, all my adjustments are global in RawTherapee - thus, in cutting down the exposure compensation slider to reduce blown highlights, a certain dullness appeared. I should really go back and try the tone curves again . . .

I'm not done yet - I do also have a fusion program to try on it.

Real Name
    Binnur

Lovely light, I like both versions

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent; love that golden tone....

Real Name
    Mark

both really nice, I think there is another image in there of a real close up with just the log ends, the colour and texture is really good and will stand out well

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by marlunn View Post
    both really nice, I think there is another image in there of a real close up with just the log ends, the colour and texture is really good and will stand out well
    Thanks, probably get more texture in June when the sun is at a more shallow angle to the cut faces?

Ted, playing around with the second edit, hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of trying an even tighter crop. To me this works better since the interest really is just the end of the logs and the light that falls on them. I'll take it down if you wish, just easier to show than describe.
    Log Pile

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    Ted, playing around with the second edit, hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of trying an even tighter crop. To me this works better since the interest really is just the end of the logs and the light that falls on them. I'll take it down if you wish, just easier to show than describe.
    Log Pile

I see your point and no need to take it down. My interest was in recording the work done so the whole pile was of interest to me which is why I cropped the second image as I did.

But there certainly could be an "inner image" which would be more arty in intention. I'd like to see the sun more overhead for such a shot with much more shadow in it, including in the end-grain and saw-cuts.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

The first version looks good but I think I prefer the latest tight crop. The colours, patterns and shadings of the ends of the logs make the picture for me.

I like the markings on the ends. An expert could probably tell you the age of the trees and what the weather has been over the last fifty plus years.