Have a guess :)

Day 30: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread

2 Days to go?

Will we make it?

Real Name
    Rick

The Heat is ON!

Canon 500D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM @ 23mm, 2 flashes RF triggered, full EXIF, PAD slideshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    2 Days to go?

Will we make it?
    I wondered: our heat pump died last night, and the temperature started creeping up, up, up.... This was a chance to get into the basement, which was wonderfully cool, and also a chance to play with my brand new light meter. I figured I'd want a fill and key light to show off the empty space, and it was a good chance to see how much easier it is to set it up with a meter. WOW! It really does make it much simpler. I don't use Pocket Wizards, so I didn't get the radio plug-in. But in flash mode, the meter waits for the next flash. Push the button on the meter, hit the "test" button on my Cactus transmitter, and presto! Getting exposure reading means you can adjust each flash with measure-adjust-measure and go on to the next. PLUS, the first time I tripped the shutter, the exposure was perfect. Fantastic.

I should have gotten a meter a long time ago. You can set up your lights without it, but it probably changed the lighting setup time from 5-10 minutes to 2-3 minutes. And I can see right now that I'll be more willing to change the lights. When I do a complex setup, I hate to change it, because I do 20 test shots to get it right, turning on one flash at a time. Once I learn how to use the meter, I'm sure I'll get the time down even more, so if I want to change the lights, it will be easy.

The happy ending to the story is that the guy was able to get the motor replaced tonight, so the house is cooling down right now, although we're about US$950 poorer. But the system is about 15 years old, so it's lasted beyond the expected time, so we're not complaining.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Alan

Re: The Heat is ON!

Finally get a chance to go out and make a good pix.

Dead Wolf Creek Road

Graysport Crossing Bridge

I'm lonely...

Katydid Nymph

Grenada's Civil War Fort

Opinion?

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Misty Morning

This mist hung around all morning out at the workshop, but 100m away, there were clear skies. I pretty much left this as is ie straight out of camera, except for a slight levels tweak to bring in a little more contrast.

non-flying bluebottle

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Hungry!

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Alan;

I like the lonely tree and the cannon best. I must admit that the watermark rather spoils the tree image for me. I like the subdued reflection and the extreme vertical composition. We've had some discussions about watermarks from time to time: if you search for "watermark," you can find some opinions.

Cheeers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Pops

Attended a teacher's meeting this morning. Once we broke up, I wandered down to the Japanese gardens.

A (slightly) different view

There's one in every crowd

I've got my eye on you, buster

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Just in time, but was it worth it ....

Nikon D5000 + Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR2 Macro: 1/250s f/4.8 at iso1600.

I'm not proud of this; it smacks of desperation (and I blew the highlights)

Promise I'll do better for the last day folks

Real Name

Re: Just in time, but was it worth it ....

They don't make golf courses like they used to!

Real Name
    António Correia

Packing

In a near future I will go broad.
    I have to carry some of the equipment and - as before - I drag a box with stuff.
    Here are two images: the first one taken some time ago and the last one shot during the planning of the new box.
    The difference is that I want to have the two cameras available at once with those lenses avoiding to change or place them whenever I need.
    The 20 D goes with the 70-200 and the 5D with the 2-70. G9 and extra stuff in a separate bag traveling somewhere else, not shown.
    So, I will have a good range to cover and make some portraits at the distance...
    i hope to remember to show you the final result...

Day 30: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread Day 30: July 2010 Photo-a-Day Thread

Real Name
    Rick

Re; Misty Morning, non-flying bluebottle

Fantastic shot, Kit - wonderful mood and texture. If I made one suggestion, it would be to clone out that post or whatever it is near the trees. The fence in the background is wonderful, adds to the sense of desolation, but the post distracts slightly, to my mind.

You sure that doesn't fly, Rob? Pretty, but perhaps not my favorite of the abstracts you've done, TBH. I definitely like the prismatic effects, whether that's in the exposure or PP.

Cheers,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Brave man. If she were a half-decent golfer you would now be picking up the bits of glass!

Re: Re; Misty Morning, non-flying bluebottle

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    You sure that doesn't fly, Rob? Pretty, but perhaps not my favorite of the abstracts you've done, TBH. I definitely like the prismatic effects, whether that's in the exposure or PP.

Cheers,
    Rick
    It was done on a scanner, hence the prismatic effect in parts of the shot. It's not my favourite either, but it's really difficult to get it right as it depends how you manually move the object as the light beam from the scanner tracks across the flat-bed.

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Japanese gardens, Just in time

I love the shot of the one red rock, Pops: great eye, great capture. The bird is neat, too: do you know what kind it is? Some kind of hawk?

You made it, Dave, that's what counts. Unless, of course, you fudged the clock and your camera's clock. Nice to have fun with the concept.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Pops

Rick, I've seen that rock field many times and not seen that shot. This time, the sprinklers were on, wetting down the rocks and the light was at just the right angle to make that one rock stand up and wave at me.

That bird is a nut cracker of some type. Note the very heavy beak. When it first landed, I thought it was a raptor, but the beak proved me wrong. Then I thought it was a "Referee" finch, because we have so many in this area. The beak proved me wrong on that, too.

In other words, I have no idea what it is.

Pops

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    That bird is a nut cracker of some type. Note the very heavy beak. When it first landed, I thought it was a raptor, but the beak proved me wrong. Then I thought it was a "Referee" finch, because we have so many in this area. The beak proved me wrong on that, too.

In other words, I have no idea what it is.

Pops
    In the image, it could be a hawk's beak: I can't see the heavy lower mandible, if there is one. It appears to have that hawk/falcon hook. If you're interested in identifying it, you might try whatBird.com. If you click on "search" in the main menu, and scroll down a bit, you can choose various things, like body type, coloration, and such. Each thing you pick narrows the list.

Nice pic, regardless.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Rick

Re: golf courses, Packing

Excellent image, as usual, Colin. My only complaint is that Jessica (it's Jessica?)
    is so small that you can't see her expression. You can read the body language. Maybe
    drop the camera a little lower, let the foreground be out of focus, and focus on her?

Enjoy the trip, António! Let us know how the new bag works.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Re; Misty Morning, non-flying bluebottle

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    It was done on a scanner, hence the prismatic effect in parts of the shot. It's not my favourite either, but it's really difficult to get it right as it depends how you manually move the object as the light beam from the scanner tracks across the flat-bed.
    Hard to reproduce, too: but there are lots of photo techniques like that, I guess, like water drops.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Brave man. If she were a half-decent golfer you would now be picking up the bits of glass!
    That's what UV filters are good for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast