Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Izzie's P 52 month of February -- for C&C please

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Izzie's P 52 month of February -- for C&C please

First Week -- Cars, Trains and Automobiles

Yesterday I dared used my DSLR and my 12-24mm lens. I also have my 70-300mm but some of the areas we were in were very tight so it was most the 12-24mm that got used. You know I am not too good yet at using this UWA so here goes...I need critiques as harsh as I can get...to learn. Please....

1 For those who are young enough to remember the singer Bobby Darin (Somewhere Beyond the Sea, Mack The Knife, etc.) I knew these songs because I just bought an LP of Bobby Darin...

Nikon D810, 70-300mm lens at 70mm, f/8, 1/15s, iso 200.

The 1960 DiDia 150 was a luxury, custom-designed iconic, handmade car also known as the "Dream Car" forever associated with its second owner, singer Bobby Darin. The car was designed by Andrew DiDia, a clothing designer, who Bobby Darin had met whilst on tour in Detroit in 1957. Darin telling DiDia at the time that he would purchase the car if he ever "hit it big." For seven years, from 1953 to 1960 the DiDia 150 was hand-built by four workers, at a cost of $93,647.29 but sold to Darin in 1961 at a cost of over $150,000 (1.5 million today). [At the time the car was listed as most expensive 'custom-made' car in the world by the Guinness Book of Records.]

The body was hand-formed by Ron Clark and constructed by Bob Kaiser from Clark Kaiser Customs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiDia_150

2 Lincoln Continental 1963 Ford – owned by James S. McDonnell (of McDonnell/Douglas) had a dial phone installed in the passenger compartment. He has a special name for this car – Titan –based on the colour that reminded him of titanium. This model came equipped with automatic transmission, power brakes, 6-way power seats, power steering, power radio and antenna, power door locks, and believe it or not, power steering. This was 50 or 60 years ago and was quite a prime of luxury vehicles. 'Reminds me of the movie Independence Day – Power Windows!!! Yep – it comes with power windows!

Nikon D810, 70-300mm lens at 70mm, f/8, 1/60s, iso 200.

3 This did not come with any explanation as far as I can see, maybe somewhere…but since my title here suggests Cars, Trains and Automobiles, -- this is one of the automobiles I want to share here.

Nikon D810, 12-24mm lens at 24mm, f/5.6, 1/3s, iso 200.

4 Another version of an automobile – the Hupmobile. This is the iconic 1909 Hupp 20. More than 1600 was built in the first for Hupps, all runbouts and the production skyrocketed after that. It’s just car, pure car. Jaunty, simple and useful. They’re not terribly rare, swift or valuable today; you’ll pay a more than for a Model T, but without the aftermarket support.

Nikon D810, 70-300mm lens at 70mm, f/4.5, 1/10s, iso 640.

5 West Barretts Tunnel – The first railroad tunnels west of the Mississippi River are located at Barretts, Missouri, which is the name for the station where they are located. They were built between 1851-53 by the Pacific Railroad of Missouri, renamed the Missouri Pacific in 1876. They carried a single broad gauge track with 5'6" between the rails. It was designed by the line's Chief Engineer, James P. Kirkwood for whom the nearby town of Kirkwood, MO was named. This tunnel was originally 450' long, but shortened to its current 410' in 1929. The single track tunnels were an operating bottleneck in what became a double track railroad and became intolerable during WWII. In 1944, the tunnels were bypassed by two main line tracks placed in a cut about 100' to the South. The land with the tunnels was then surplus to the line's needs and the museum leased this property for $1 a year until it was later donated. The tunnels were place on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Nikon D810, 12-24mm lens at 24mm, f/9, 1/6s, iso 200.

6 A perspective shot…

Nikon D810, 12-24mm lens at 24mm, f/14, 1/160s, iso 200.

7 U S 662 – GE buils this lock-towing locomotive as part of the original equipment for the Panama Canal, the first of a fleet that grew to over 100. The cable drum between the locomotive cabs hold 800 feet of one-inch hawser used to control the movement of ship which did not use their own power. It was donated by the US Government on August 15, 1964 on the 50th anniversary of the opening of the canal.

Nikon D810, 70-300mm lens at 70mm, f/8, 1/5000s, iso 900.

8 Stage Coach Style Passenger Coach by Boston and Providence Railroad – Designed and built by John Lightner in Boston and Providence Railroad shops, its claim to fame is that it is the oldest original American railway passenger coach. Built in 1833 resembling an early stagecoach, four wheel it has four wheels and is constructed of wood, with an iron frame and leather straps supporting the body. The car was made three years after the first U.S. Steam locomotive was built in 1830. The coach was exhibited with the "Daniel Nason" locomotive at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago (1893) and in New York (1939-1940). In 1982, it was among the 8,500 items auctioned from the estate of a wealthy businessman. That year, it was contributed to the Museum of Transportation (MOT) by the Friends of the Danbury Collection.

Nikon D810, 70-300mm lens at 70mm, f/7.1, 1/20s, iso 64.

9 Barrett Station museum entrance

Nikon D810, 12-24mm lens at 24mm, f/5.6, 1/320s, iso 400.

I have more but I will just upload them in a regular post...so you won't get too bored for now...Thanks for any comments and critiques I will get...'will appreciate it very much.
    Cheers,
    Izzie
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th February 2016 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added EXIF data for 9 shots

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Izzie's P 52 month of February -- for C&C please

I have enjoyed the photographs and commentary very much. A good effort. The B&W photographs could do with a bit more punch (contrast and solid black) especially #8. Overall a successful set.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Izzie,

Yesterday I dared used my DSLR and my 12-24mm lens. I also have my 70-300mm but some of the areas we were in were very tight so it was most the 12-24mm that got used. You know I am not too good yet at using this UWA so here goes...I need critiques as harsh as I can get...to learn. Please....
    It would help us critique the shots, especially with regard to lens use, if each shot had the EXIF data displayed adjacent to it.
    I have added it for you this week, but if you could next week, I'd be grateful.

I guess, having viewed all the EXIF data without really looking at the images yet, my observation is that you had two lenses; 12-24mm and 70-300mm - and all your images here were shot at either 24mm or 70mm.
    If you're looking for a reason to support buying a 24-70mm lens, this just might convince Bill

It's getting late (as I type), so I'll look at the images properly tomorrow and reply again then.

Cheers, Dave

PS I hope using the 'big stuff' didn't leave you too sore. Continued wishes for a speedy recovery.

Real Name
    John

Nice captures, you did well with the showcase cars as there is always something obstructing your view and you were able to compose with the least amount of interference. Great use of perspective on the rail shots.

Real Name
    Joe

I loved the shots. Many of them taken in difficult circumstances shooting into the light. Great job!

Well done Izzie. I do agree with the comment about more contrast on the B&W's though.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Izzie, those are interesting pictures that take me back, although even I can't remember as far back as 1833. I often think about how the original cars were made by horse-drawn carriage makers and were therefore adaptations of them but I had not realised that early railway carriages were also like that. I do remember the Lincoln though because that was during the three year period we lived in California.

Thanks for showing us these.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I have enjoyed the photographs and commentary very much. A good effort. The B&W photographs could do with a bit more punch (contrast and solid black) especially #8. Overall a successful set.
    Thanks Paul...we were there about after 11am and the light in the picture window wasn't promising. Trying to avoid other 'tourists with children' was quite difficult. I could have just used my 12-24mm but I lost my mule (husband) somewhere...I think it is time to buy those outfit that can accommodate a lens without pulling on my shoulders. In #8, that was the best I can get from a dark image.

In #7 -- Panama Canal 662, I processed this in mono and put a bluish effect on it. I realized later on that I should have used a blurred mask and sharpened the carriage selectively instead...The angle of the sun did not help with the busy-ness.

Appreciate your comments and critiques.

Real Name
    Izzie

I am getting better, Dave. My mule help me carry my camera bag, but I kept losing him somewhere, This is very much his alley (historical stuffs) and doesn't realized that I need to think as I shoot. There was even a time I put the camera away and said "let us just enjoy this place.." but looking at something that pushed me to take a shot of, has not been a pleasant feeling, so I got my camera again from the bag. I am grateful he wanted to talk to me about a particular train or car, so I just listen and not say much. Unfortunately, a wannabe photographer and a partner who has no interest in taking any shots is just no match in these kind of places. After all, it is 'our' time together.

Thanks for addin this to my P52 Project....appreciate your help....Izzie

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice captures, you did well with the showcase cars as there is always something obstructing your view and you were able to compose with the least amount of interference. Great use of perspective on the rail shots.
    Thank you, John -- the first two cars were shot from upstairs...the third one was shot across the DiDia. It was actually my first shot there and then when the guy saw how I was having a hard time with the car, he told me about the upstairs shooting location. That was great until Bill came along and told me all about Bobby Darin and the twin door Lincoln Continental.

Appreciate your comments...Izzie

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    I loved the shots. Many of them taken in difficult circumstances shooting into the light. Great job!
    Thanks Joe -- you nailed it! It was a part of my study yesterday continuing my reading on an article on 'how photographers see light'. It think the article came from Digital Photography with an illustration too. Then I thought it was time to put it into practice without using a flash. With a flash, I would have had a hard time carrying my gear, much more with a flash to add to my discomfort. So I tried as hard. Funny how, after reading that article, it dawned on me how to look at light for the first time....then the lesser problem is how far and/or how near should I be with the object in front of me, which side to photograph, how to approach my composition, etc...you know -- the drill. But I am glad I get to think this way...No more 'accident' shots for most of the time we were there. There were a few but not as many any more...

Thank you for your comment. I do appreciate it very much....Izzie

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Well done Izzie. I do agree with the comment about more contrast on the B&W's though.
    Thank you very much, Rita...please read my response to Joe Branko...Message #11.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    Izzie, those are interesting pictures that take me back, although even I can't remember as far back as 1833. I often think about how the original cars were made by horse-drawn carriage makers and were therefore adaptations of them but I had not realised that early railway carriages were also like that. I do remember the Lincoln though because that was during the three year period we lived in California.

Thanks for showing us these.
    You should have been there, Tony...It was a myriad of historical artifacts and cars (not much) but the trains are great...I will post some kinds of trains soon in another post...thank you for your comment. It makes me feel good. 'Appreciate your opinion....Izzie

Real Name
    John

Nice set Izzie and an enjoyable read. Some good record shots but I like no.5 in its own right as an image. You were always going to struggle with no.8 given the amount of backlight. Short of some fill in flash, there's not much you could do about it.

Real Name
    Sergio

Izzie,

Not boring at all. I enjoyed the photos and the historical narrative.
    I admire your resolute determination to get out with your kit and practice.
    Keep it up.

Sergio

Real Name
    Dan

Hi, Izzie. You are improving your ability to isolate your subject in a "busy" environment compared to some of the farm shots you posted a while back. I like the perspectives in nos.5 and 6. Nice choices for B/W conversions too. I definitely see progress in your work.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Terrific images...i liked every thing about them.... please continue this nice series.....

Real Name
    Janis

All great subjects, Izzie. Love the tunnel shot in particular and appreciate all the background info. My two vintage-car-collecting BILs will be particularly interested in the car shots.

I see you were really pushing your shutter speeds in the museum. You got impressive focus for 1/15 sec. in #1, but I am guessing the camera was resting on a rail? Some of the other museum shots appear to suffer from camera shake. I think using flash would have been problematic due to all the reflective surfaces and might well not be allowed in the museum. Do you use auto ISO? I would suggest you find your minimum shutter speed for each of your lenses and stick to them when shooting handheld. If you have a maximum ISO you don't want to exceed, set that in your camera settings as well. With your camera on Auto ISO and an upper threshold set, if you need to compromise on aperture, the camera will tell you so. If the museum allows, you might consider taking a monopod in next time. Or practice the techniques described here. I posted that link on this forum some time ago, but it may be new to some people.

Good to see you shooting again. Hope you are taking it easy and not pushing it. That is heavy kit you are carrying.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Nice set Izzie and an enjoyable read. Some good record shots but I like no.5 in its own right as an image. You were always going to struggle with no.8 given the amount of backlight. Short of some fill in flash, there's not much you could do about it.
    Thank you so much for your comment. I value your advice so much that I learned from them. No fill flash yet...I am still learning about seeing the light, how they fall on my subject, where it falls, the shadows, the depths, etc. Then from there I can work my aperture and shutter speed. There are still a lot I have to learn like checking that my 12-24mm is actually on the 12mm and not on the 24mm...That was duffy of me!!! So many things to remember...then in the midst of it all, I wished I had my point and shoot. Bill offered to get it for me in the car, but I have to back off a bit from that P&S and only use it for emergency shots...so I declined his offer. All in all a good day out 20 mins away from home.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio M. View Post
    Izzie,

Not boring at all. I enjoyed the photos and the historical narrative.
    I admire your resolute determination to get out with your kit and practice.
    Keep it up.

Sergio
    Struggling but OK...I think I am getting better though still in a bit of pain, not much now so I dared got out with my big camera this time around. I wasn't sorry but frustrated at things that I forgot to do as regards to settings and stuffs...gotta give myself another kick today with a different lens...Thank you for your nice comment. I do appreciate it very much.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast