Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Knight Peak

Knight Peak

I did the unrelenting slog up to Knight Peak yesterday. It's a brutal but spectacular hike with a final elevation of 2235 m (7333 ft). Knight Peak is located in the Cheam Range of the Canadian Cascades. Four peaks in the Cheam Range are visible from the City of Chilliwack, located in the Fraser Valley, British Columbia. Here's a link to the info page on bivouac.com: http://www.bivouac.com/ArxPg.asp?ArxId=166

Make sure to check out the 360 degree panorama at the summit that I posted near the end of this page.

Knight Peak
    The destination is the peak in the middle of the ridge; Knight Peak. The prominent peak to the right is Baby Munday, with Stewart Peak to its right.

Knight Peak Knight Peak
    Some pretty alpine flowers.

Knight Peak
    Left peak: Baby Munday; middle peak: Stewart; right peak: The Still; far right peak: Welch.

Knight Peak Knight Peak
    Couple shots of the steep alpine meadows.

Knight Peak
    Three climbers atop Baby Munday's north peak.

Knight Peak
    The steep, loose scree slope up to Knight Peak's ridge (the high point to the right is not the summit).

Knight Peak
    Here's a shot of me at the peak!

Here's a URL to an epic high-resolution 360 degree panorama at the summit (south is approximately at centre): http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...summitpan1.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Knight Peak

Well done! Reminds me of my mountain climbing days (some 40 plus years ago, when I was knee high to a grass hopper!).

That 360 pano was especially interesting - would look fantastic in a 360 deg pano viewer.

Real Name
    Steve

I think that was flippin great; forget the macro the pano is fantastic. You do all the leg work so that I get to see how nice it is. I only ever climbed a hill a few hundred feet high and I managed to fall down that.

My only gripe with the pano is the rather mid-line horizon. I would have liked to get a bit more landscape in there and not so much sky. However, when you're damn near exhausted sitting at 2235 m elevation on a knife-edge ridge overlooking a sheer 600 m drop onto jagged rocks while obviously fearful of standing you begin to forget about photo composition.

It was literally awesome up there, though. But I guess that's the whole point. To be in awe, to be amazed, to be humbled; to acknowledge the reality of utter insignificance, unimportance; to escape the claustrophobic narcissism of society and inch closer toward both bearing and connecting with infinity and the unknown.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm frightened of heights. I've flown an aircraft but if I look down the side which you can do with open air old fashioned ones I get terrified.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi bleys,

Good series of shots and my climbing experience, and fear of heights, tends to echo Steve's

Regarding the pano, you wrote;

Quote Originally Posted by bleys View Post
    However, when you're damn near exhausted sitting at 2235 m elevation on a knife-edge ridge overlooking a sheer 600 m drop onto jagged rocks while obviously fearful of standing you begin to forget about photo composition.
    I could sorta guess that from your expression in the last picture, making that good too.

Wish I'd been more adventurous at your age, sadly, trying it now would almost inevitably result in having to call out the rescue services and a flight in a helicopter to hospital, assuming I survived that long (if I tripped/fell, etc.). That's my excuse!

Congratulations on making it up there and getting the images you did.

Cheers,