Thread: Another HDR app

Real Name
    Peter

Another HDR app

i found this quite by chance while looking for a RAW converter for my HS10...I found the HDR very easy to use. It's only a beta, though. But it's free!

http://www.oloneo.com/

I like free apps...

I'm from Seattle and I go to school in Utah
    Real Name
    Justin

Re: Another HDR app

From the front page and their little demo videos, this looks pretty promising. I'm gonna try it out and maybe post some results.

Thanks, Peter.

Real Name
    Justin

......or not. For some reason, it won't run on this computer.

Real Name
    Peter

I've only tried it on XP...I'll try 7 later today

works fine in w7 64 bits

Real Name
    Edwin

Looks interesting, but won't be any good to me, as I have a Mac.

Real Name
    Grant

I downloaded the Beta version of Oloneo Photoengine and have tried it on a couple of HDR images that I previously processed in Photomatix. I am very impressed. It is easier to use and more intuitive than Photomatix. The screen image is closer in appearance to the final edited image than Photomatix and the histogram allows you to judge the impact of every change more carefully. In short, it is much easier to assess the impact of changes on screen than Photomatix. There are three different modes of editing HDR images varying from virtually automatic through to advanced. In addition there are lots of other interesting editing tools that I have not yet explored. The temporary licence on the Beta version expires in October so there is plenty of time to make an assessment but, frankly, from what I have seen so far I am confident that I prefer it to Photomatix and will be in line to purchase the final version when available. Thanks for mentioning it on the forum, Peter.
    Grant

Real Name
    Peter

"...as I have a Mac" - "The product runs on a dual-core Mac with Parallels Desktop 5."

does that help?

Real Name
    Edwin

Sorry mate, seeing I'm fairly computer illiterate, I wouldn't even begin to know how to set it up. Thanks anyway, but I'll wait till there's a proper Mac version. I've emailed OLONEO & they're going to let me know when one becomes available.
    Cheers.....Edwin.

Real Name
    Edwin

No doubt you have a Mac, as I do Justin. It wouldn't work on mine either. I guess we'll just have to be patient & wait till there's a Mac version available. It certainly looks impressive from what I've seen of their demo & I can't wait to give it a try.
    Cheers........Edwin.

Real Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Harvey View Post
    No doubt you have a Mac, as I do Justin.
    Actually, I got it to work on my laptop with Windows 7, but for some reason it won't work on this desktop with Windows 7. They're both 64-bit and dual core so I'm really not sure why it worked on mine and not on this one.

Real Name
    Matthew

Lets see some of your guys' work with this program!

Real Name
    Grant

Another HDR app

This is an image that I previously posted, as processed in Photomatix. Here is the Oloneo version. I went a bit over the top with the TM Strength but I was keen to see what I could do. I feel it was easier and faster than Photomatix and there is a lot more life in the jetty foreground even if the colour is a bit off. The clouds are also better defined which was easy to do with the detail strength bar.

Another HDR app

This is the photomatix version
    Grant

Real Name
    Steve

It works for you lot but I wanted to do this in Oleo since I need different balance for each light.
    Another HDR app

This was done in Picturenaut, Topaz and Helicon just to show the problem. Oleo caused three fatal exceptions on start up on my AMD quad with 2GB Ram and XP SP3.

No joy again.

Real Name
    Arun

Quote Originally Posted by neverhood311 View Post
    Actually, I got it to work on my laptop with Windows 7, but for some reason it won't work on this desktop with Windows 7. They're both 64-bit and dual core so I'm really not sure why it worked on mine and not on this one.

I just gave a try on my Desktop. During when, I discovered that I could not directly import my RAW or any other format for that matter, from the my Canon 40D into a project in Oloneo. It works when I first saved it on a folder under my desktop the RAW file from my Canon 40D.

I am aware of the fact that the Oloneo at present is beta. Does anybody know if the final version would be a freeware or have to pay to own?

I do not have a laptop PC but a Mac Book Air with Mac's version of Aperture for photo manipulation.

This is Oloneo's official forum site - lots of good info and discussion there.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/oloneophotoenginetalk/

I've been using the Beta version for about a week, and agree it has potential. I have found using PhotoEngine's tone-mapping on single raw files is quick and effective. I don't do a lot of tripod photography, but the few multiple shots I have processed have been fine. This one is a single Olympus Raw File processed with PhotoEngine to not have a HDR look, saved as a tiff, and resized for web use in Photoshop Elements. I chose this file because of the combination of heavy shadows and bright highlights. I like the results:

Another HDR app

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Tom,

That looks like a quick way to get a very good result from a single RAW; it beats producing two exposure skewed tif files and merging those with layers in say, Elements, manually. Good choice of demo image too.

EDIT
    Just looking on their website; I see it even accepts DNG input - just for Colin

I think I'll definitely give this a go on the new copmuter in a couple of days or so.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st August 2010 at 09:08 AM.

Real Name
    Grant

Quote Originally Posted by snowshine View Post
    I just gave a try on my Desktop. During when, I discovered that I could not directly import my RAW or any other format for that matter, from the my Canon 40D into a project in Oloneo. It works when I first saved it on a folder under my desktop the RAW file from my Canon 40D.

I am aware of the fact that the Oloneo at present is beta. Does anybody know if the final version would be a freeware or have to pay to own?

I do not have a laptop PC but a Mac Book Air with Mac's version of Aperture for photo manipulation.
    I have had no trouble whatsoever importing raw images from my Canon 40D into Oloneo.
    Grant