Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Strobist at Odaiba

Real Name
    Mark

Strobist at Odaiba

hi.

Just want to share. Taken last night at Odaiba.

Strobist at Odaiba

Mark

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Strobist at Odaiba

Hi Mark,

Looks really great. Only a couple of things I can think of that might make it look even better ...

It's looking slightly flat on my screen - I'd be tempted to raise the black clipping point slightly, and possibly a small compensation at the other end as well. And lastly - I think it would look nicer with some kind of matte or border - what do you think?

Real Name
    Mark

hi Colin.

Thanks for advice.

It's looking slightly flat on my screen - I'd be tempted to raise the black clipping point slightly, and possibly a small compensation at the other end as well
    I adjusted it a bit.

Can you elaborate why an image is flat? Please....

I think it would look nicer with some kind of matte or border - what do you think?
    Done. Thanks for reminding.

Thanks in advance.

I attached the file.
    kramnation_20100717-122-1600.jpg

Kram
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th July 2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add new image inline

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    hi Colin.

Thanks for advice.

I adjusted it a bit.

Can you elaborate why an image is flat? Please....
    Hi Mark,

When the black point isn't high enough you get a subtle "light gray fog" over the midtones, which takes away some of their texture. It takes a little while to develope an eye for it, but if you move the clipping point when post-processing an image you should see an immediate improvement. I see it quite often with HDR images (and in portraiture). I think people tend to forget that once an HDR image has been processed by an HDR program one STILL needs to then put it through a regular post-processing workflow.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Colin.

Great insight and very informative. I am still adjusting myself and familiarizing every tool in post processing. I must say it is quite difficult. When I still lack pointers to consider.

When you pointed out the "light gray fog", i thought at first it was just normal. I still need more experience and gather more "know-hows".

I'll keep that in mind next time around.

Thanks.
    mark

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

Very nice shot and I like the first image the most. And as for the 2nd image it looks like your drop the black tones and made it more flatter like Colin said.

Am I seeing it correctly?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Mark,

Still a darn good picture for someone that doesn't know what they're doing (meant as a compliment smile)

It is better with the border.

Good choices of shutter speed and aperture, a pleasant white balance and good composition.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Robert S.

Hi Mark,

last year I did some aerial pictures of a radiotelescope. It was very hazy that morning, but I had only this chance to take the pictures. I added two examples here. The first one is as it came out of the camera. It really looked that hazy from above. So nothing to blame on the euipment nor photographic skills.

On the second one I adjusted black point and increases contrast. It saved my day.
    If you don't do it already, shoot in RAW. It offers much more flexibility and opportunities in post precessing.

bye
    Robert

20090919__mg_3161_400px.jpg
    Without post processing

20090919__mg_3161_400px-2.jpg
    After adjusting black point and increasing contrast
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    Thanks Colin.

Great insight and very informative. I am still adjusting myself and familiarizing every tool in post processing. I must say it is quite difficult. When I still lack pointers to consider.

When you pointed out the "light gray fog", i thought at first it was just normal. I still need more experience and gather more "know-hows".

I'll keep that in mind next time around.

Thanks.
    mark
    No worries Mark

Just a quick note on the border though ... I think it pays to also put a stroke around the outside of the matte as well; I use the light colour scheme and couldn't even see the change you made to the border (the two images look exactly the same in this respect).

Real Name
    Mark

hi.

Timezone gets its way.

Very nice shot and I like the first image the most.
    Thanks Crovean. The second is really flat.

Still a darn good picture for someone that doesn't know what they're doing (meant as a compliment smile)

It is better with the border.

Good choices of shutter speed and aperture, a pleasant white balance and good composition.

I think it pays to also put a stroke around the outside of the matte as well; I use the light colour scheme and couldn't even see the change you made to the border (the two images look exactly the same in this respect).
    Thanks Colin for all the help. I still got the raw. I'll reprocess them again when the time comes. I still need more practice. By the way, I just learned the Rule of Thirds.

last year I did some aerial pictures of a radiotelescope. It was very hazy that morning, but I had only this chance to take the pictures. I added two examples here. The first one is as it came out of the camera. It really looked that hazy from above. So nothing to blame on the euipment nor photographic skills.

On the second one I adjusted black point and increases contrast. It saved my day.
    If you don't do it already, shoot in RAW. It offers much more flexibility and opportunities in post precessing.
    Thanks Robert for the sample. It really helped too.

Thanks a lot guys.

Hope to learn more here/

Mark