Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Read Photography/Post Processing Library

Real Name
    Matthew

Must Read Photography/Post Processing Library

Now that I am a bit more familiar with my DSLR, I have been starting to consider some more literature that will further develop my skills, both behind my camera and in from of my computer.

Photography is an enormously broad topic, as is post processing, with an equally large assortment of literature. I was wondering what everyone considers their "Photography Bible" and "Post Processing Bible". Or, if you don't have a single book, what are the few that you consider must reads for the budding photographer.

What I find particularly foreign is post processing, and general use of Photoshop. I feel like I can take pictures, and with practice and experience my skills will mature. However when it comes to post processing of digital photographs, there are so many methods to so many steps to perform so many techniques (i.e. sharpening, noise reduction, colour adjustment, layering, masking, etc.) that I do not know what I should focus on and what is most important. Additionally, it seems that the order you perform all these tasks largely influences the outcome.

So, with that I ask you: What are your top 3 "must-reads" of digital photography?

PS - This topic may be an interesting one to have as an article on the main page, or a sticky in one of the forums.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Must Read Photography/Post Processing Library

Hi Matthew,

I tend to pick up bits and pieces as I go. We have an excellent publication down here in Australia called Better Photoshop Technique (you should be able to google them) but closer to home you might try some books by Scott Kelby. I read his book on PP CS4 and found it very structured and very informative.

http://www.scottkelby.com/books.html

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by stripe View Post
    What are your top 3 "must-reads" of digital photography?
    In order of preference ...

www.kelbytraining.com

www.kelbytraining.com

www.kelbytraining.com

www.kelbytraining.com

oops, that's 4 - me bad

Signup for the online training videos - best value for money out there; hands down.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Real Name
    Kay

Crikey! - I have that book too - Can I advance my chair to the front of the class now!

Another goody to have in the schoolbag is
    'Langford's starting Photography' almost text book like but not in a bad way - e.g at the end of chapters there are wee 'now try this' activities, which I have had some fun attempting.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Crikey! - I have that book too - Can I advance my chair to the front of the class now!
    Kay
    If you're meaning Freeman, then, yes, go to the top of the class, as this clearly demonstrates advanced intelligence, good taste and good judgement coupled with a desire to continue learning!
    Last edited by Donald; 16th July 2010 at 08:27 AM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Kay
    If you're meaning Freeman, then, yes, go to the top of the class, as this clearly demonstrates advanced intelligence, good taste and good judgement coupled with a desire to continue learning!
    It's been a while since I've bought any photography books -- so I "clicked the button"

You'd better be right Donald or I'll start colourising all your B&W shots!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    You'd better be right Donald or I'll start colourising all your B&W shots!
    OMG - The PRESSURE !!!!! What if I've been getting it wrong?

Real Name
    Peter

Kay
    I have the Freeman book and also this. Scott Kelby's books are also good. And, depending on what your photgraphic bent is, dont forget to look at what the masters of the various genre have done.

Real Name

OMG - The PRESSURE !!!!! What if I've been getting it wrong?
    ... new -> layer -> HSB; colourise ... Hue = 290; Sat = 75 ... I'll do it ... I mean it!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    I have the Freeman book and also this. Scott Kelby's books are also good. And, depending on what your photgraphic bent is, dont forget to look at what the masters of the various genre have done.
    Peter

My only reason for not going down that road (Alsheimer) is the fact that I'm a GIMP, as opposed to Photoshop, user. What I found good about Freeman was that, although he writes about photoshop, it's easy to 'translate' what he is saying into, in my case, DxO and GIMP language.

I agree with you re the masters.

I haven't bought it yet (but have borrowed it twice from our local library) and that is - Adams' 'Examples: Making of Forty Photographs'
    Last edited by Donald; 16th July 2010 at 06:34 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Peter

My only reason for not going down that road (Alsheimer) is the fact that I'm a GIMP, as opposed to Photoshop user. What I found good about Freeman was that, although, he writes about photoshop, it's easy to 'translate' what he is saying into, in my case, DxO and GIMP language.

I agree with you re the masters.

I haven't bought it yet (but have borrowed it twice from our local library) and that is - Adams' 'Examples: Making of Forty Photographs'
    The Adams book is very good. Also look at Fay Godwin 'Land', John Davies 'The British Landscape' and Simon Roberts 'We English'. The last one is colour . Sorry Donald.

Real Name

Read my lips ... forget the books (I've got dozens of them too!) ... the videos are 10 times easier to digest

Real Name
    Kay

Read my lips ... forget the books (I've got dozens of them too!) ... the videos are 10 times easier to digest
    yes but you can't take your 2 monitors and curl up in bed and have a good read - like you can with Mr Freeman - I bet even now, you're freezing your whatsits off in the cold study..

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    yes but you can't take your 2 monitors and curl up in bed and have a good read - like you can with Mr Freeman - I bet even now, you're freezing your whatsits off in the cold study..
    Well actually, I can put the videos on my iPhone and watch them in bed (or anywhere else that I like) ... but if you're trying to learn something it's so so so so much easier to simply watch someone else do it, talking you through it in real time ... and when you sign up for just USD $29.99 a month you get access to HUNDREDS of videos (most 1 to 2 hours long) by the biggest names in the industry. Sorry if I sound like a walking/talking advertisement, but I can say that personally, my photography & post-processing changed into another gear when I pretty much switched all of my training to video based ... it just soaks in so much easier and more quickly.

PS: You lose the bet too ... I'm warm as toast

Well actually, I can put the videos on my iPhone and watch them in bed ...
    Instead of doing what?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Instead of doing what?
    Sleeping

(I was diagnosed as an OSA sufferer just over 2 years ago ... so these days I'm hooked up to a A-PAP machine at night and sleep very nicely thank you)

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Sleeping

(I was diagnosed as an OSA sufferer just over 2 years ago ... so these days I'm hooked up to a A-PAP machine at night and sleep very nicely thank you)
    Completely o.t. but did it stop you snoring?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Completely o.t. but did it stop you snoring?
    Totally

I've been a bad snorer all my life (even in the days when I was super-fit), but the A-PAP machine (Automatic Positive Air Pressure) stops that dead in it's tracks. Basically (in simple terms) it has a built in snore detector that increases the pressure quickly (over a few seconds), but only reduces it slowly (over many minutes) ... so I might get the occasional couple of snores in (for old times sake), but it nails me pretty quick after that

Happy to talk about it more here or via PM if there's anything you'd like to chat about it (sounds like you're lining up a present for someone!)

Yes, it's very good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast