Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Statues (NMA again)

Real Name
    Steve

Statues (NMA again)

Statues (NMA again)

Taken with my new lens on manual focus, it is one of those days since I took the camera to a dealer to ask if he had any ideas why it was not focusing and he removed the lens sticking the camera face up on the counter, and now I've got dust on the sensor. Shall not do that again.

Feel free to add some pics of statues.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Statues (NMA again)

Statues (NMA again)

Real Name
    Steve

Statues (NMA again)

Real Name
    Steve

Statues (NMA again)

Topaz version

Real Name
    Steve

Sad

Statues (NMA again)

This is very sad or frightening. I think I will leave it at that although I have many more, it seems I'm the only one who likes them but I've always been different.

Real Name
    John

Re: Sad

Steve,

Very nice images. What event does #4 represent?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Steve,

Very nice images. What event does #4 represent?
    The memorial is for everybody who died in conflict since the second world war, and the other memorials represent conflicts anytime. The chap is pointing through a gap in the wall where on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month a light passes through and shines onto the central plinth, weather permitting.

It is rather a big place with frequent visits from top brass; I also noticed it is still under construction with things being erected all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Statues (NMA again)
    Interesting shots, Steve, but they are quite sad. I looked up Baroness Strange (I love looking up the dead). She left all of her estate to her youngest daughter, cutting out the other five children. The eldest is still a Baron though, so that's OK! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_...roness_Strange

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I looked up Baroness Strange (I love looking up the dead)
    And to keep the C in C links going, you may remember a recent one from me with a Pylon and Castle Huntly in the background. Well, Mrs Strange's wee pile (Megginch Castle) is just along the road. For those with a passion for the strange behaviour of the decaying and increasingly eccentric Scottish aristocracy (sorry, but you can get treatment), the Wiki reference cited by Rob refers to this dear lady's daddy pitching in to claim the Dukedom of Atholl for himself. The family name of the Atholl dukedom is Murray. Well at least two of them must have got on quite well, because the Drummond-Murrays are now another part of the anachronism that is still the 'landed gentry' class in British society.
    However, most of Scotland is now owned by members of the Royal families and associated hangers-on of various middle-east nations ... and Mohammed Al-Fayed. Who needs land reform?
    Last edited by Donald; 14th July 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Interesting shots, Steve, but they are quite sad. I looked up Baroness Strange (I love looking up the dead). She left all of her estate to her youngest daughter, cutting out the other five children. The eldest is still a Baron though, so that's OK! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_...roness_Strange
    Last edited by arith; 14th July 2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: another thought

Real Name
    Steve

Real Name
    John

Steve,

Thanks for the history of the memorials. As others have said, the symbolism is very sad and solemn, yet striking in form and detail.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    The memorial is for everybody who died in conflict since the second world war, and the other memorials represent conflicts anytime. The chap is pointing through a gap in the wall where on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month a light passes through and shines onto the central plinth, weather permitting.

It is rather a big place with frequent visits from top brass; I also noticed it is still under construction with things being erected all the time.