Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: filter for 14-24 nikor?

Real Name
    omid

filter for 14-24 nikor?

hi
    i`ve got a 14-24 nikor lens for my d700 and i want to know if there is any filter for that kind of lens? the dealer said something about a gelatin?! filter for about 200$ ( UV) , is it necessary for that lens ? should anyone have any experience to share it would be appreciated.
    thanks , omid

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: filter for 14-24 nikor?

Hi Omid,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

A quick google found this

The obvious risk with an expensive lens like this is scratching the large front element when cleaning.

It doesn't look like a traditional screw-on filter fits, due to the extreme curvature of front element, thus requiring a filter holder.
    This looks like it might cause more accidents than it saves, so I'd think carefully before going that way for general photography*, or wait and see if anyone lese here has one, or a similar lens, for their advice.

* of course, if you need a specific filter, like a Graduated ND, that's a different matter, but they're not cheap.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I have a similar issue with my Canon EF14mm - just no way to fit a protective filter (as much as I love them). For me, it's a bit like acrobatics without a safety net (or so I've heard) - personally I'm just VERY careful using that lens; the cap is the last thing I take off, and the first thing I put back on.

Real Name
    omid

I saw the thing and it doesnt seem to be practical for protection especially in the mountains!
    I guess i must be super careful with the precious!