Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wine for December 19

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Wine for December 19

I found a treasure trove of papers in an art store that are perfect for use as background and tabletop materials. As a result of that and other concepts that have recently influenced me, some of my upcoming photos are going to be considerably more adventurous. It will be interesting to see whether some of the more contemporary looks will be as appealing to as wide a viewership as my previous photos.

One of my month-long birthday celebrations will take place on December 19, so I have marked this wine that we'll serve that evening to ensure that we don't accidentally drink it before then. It is a high-end 2006 Australian Shiraz (also called Syrah) made by Elderton that I have had about five years. They brand it the Command Single Vineyard, and the last part of that brand explains that all the grapes used to make the wine were grown in the same vineyard. The wine is aged at least four years before it is released, which is when the bottle is wrapped in thin paper. By the time the bottle gets to the retail shelf and finally into the home, the paper sometimes becomes torn, as you can see.

Setup
    The tabletop and background are a single sheet of paper. A medium continuous-light lamp on the left side is flagged except for a very narrow slit of light that is allowed to escape. A medium continuous-light lamp on the right side faces away from the subject and lights a white reflector that throws light back onto the scene. The two light sources placed on opposite sides of the subject leave the front of the bottle darker than the sides, which helps define the shape of the bottle.

Wine for December 19
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 22nd November 2015 at 09:05 PM.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Wine for December 19

In this particular instance Mike I'm not convinced that your new art paper does you any favours. The lighting is great and the subject matter inviting but I wonder if you would do more justice to that beautiful coloured wrapping paper by setting against a stark white background and table cover.
    Just my thoughts.
    Sorry I'm not your next door neighbour as I would surely enjoy a glass of that Shiraz.

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    In this particular instance Mike I'm not convinced that your new art paper does you any favours.
    Be convinced! Seriously, I appreciate that it may not do you any favours but it does me a world of favours.

Sorry I'm not your next door neighbour as I would surely enjoy a glass of that Shiraz.
    We still have room at the dining table for one more person, so be sure to stop by on December 19.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

We still have room at the dining table for one more person, so be sure to stop by on December 19.
    I still have a case or two of fine Premiere Cru Burgundy. I'll bring one along (that's a bottle!).

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    I still have a case or two of fine Premiere Cru Burgundy. I'll bring one along (that's a bottle!).
    Red or white Burgundy? Just curious, as I'll never turn down either.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Mostly Mercurey red from several different vineyards but a nice case of 1er Cru Chablis as well.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Without wishing hijack your thread, but just to make your mouth water!

Mercurey
    Wine for December 19

That really is a pretty scene! I make my first trip to France next year but only to Provence.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

That really is a pretty scene! I make my first trip to France next year but only to Provence.
    Too many Brits down there.

Real Name
    Kim

Looking forward to seeing more of your adventurous spirit Mike! Question - you stated the background and tabletop is a sheet of paper -- what gives it that speckled look? Is it the paper? Happy early Birthday!

Darn, Kim! Just when the conversation about wine and travel was getting really interesting, you were compelled to interrupt things to actually discuss the photo!

My answer to your question about the paper will make you sorry you asked. The paper in this photo and others I purchased are sometimes so thin that they have the feeling and look that is close to tissue paper. In fact, the background paper in this photo is no thicker than the tissue-like paper wrapped around the bottle. Some of the papers have colors printed on them, as in the case of the paper in this photo. Other papers are slightly textured and may also have other colors mixed throughout, I think by combining different colors and thicknesses of pulp into one sheet of paper. Others are really thick, have one color, and are extremely heavily textured in a seemingly random pattern. Some are a regular thickness, have no texture and only one color but have a look that is similar to metallic paint used on cars.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 23rd November 2015 at 09:30 PM.

Real Name
    Kim

Thanks for the info Mike. Where do you find that kind of paper?

Darn, Kim! Just when the conversation about wine and travel was getting really interesting, you were compelled to interrupt things to actually discuss the photo!

My answer to your question about the paper will make you sorry you asked. The paper in this photo and others I purchased are sometimes so thin that they have the feeling and look that is close to tissue paper. In fact, the background paper in this photo is no thicker than the tissue-like paper wrapped around the bottle. Some of the papers have colors printed on them, as in the case of the paper in this photo. Other papers are slightly textured and may also have other colors mixed throughout, I think by combining different colors and thicknesses of pulp into one sheet of paper. Others are really thick, have one color, and are extremely heavily textured in a seemingly random pattern. Some are a regular thickness, have no texture and only one color but have a look that is similar to metallic paint used on cars.

In a local art supplies store.

Real Name
    Joe

I love Shiraz! Never tasted that brand however. Maybe I may splurge for one my next birthday, if you recommend it after the 19 Dec.

Joe,

This wine is rated 94 by Robert Parker. If you know your tastes relative to his, you can get a better idea of your expectations from that rating than from anything I would mention. I will only add that I have enjoyed Elderton's lesser brands at far less expensive prices, so I expect this flagship in their lineup of brands to be a fantastic wine.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi, Mike. I liked the result. Very creative usage for the paper you found! Well done. Regards,

Thanks, Otavio!

Real Name
    Greg

This is an interesting way of imparting textural interest to a bottle, Mike. I'm not keen on this background, though. It seems a bit too busy for me. Maybe it would work better if it wasn't the same as the table top...

Greg: The relatively busy background works for me because the subject is so plain and because the yellow flecks in the background relate to the yellow note stuck on the bottle. Your idea of using a different tabletop might also work. I would have to try it because I'm having a tough time knowing whether I would like it just by imagining it (a common problem of mine).