Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Say hello to the Panasonic G1 four thirds camera

Say hello to the Panasonic G1 four thirds camera

Sexy, isn't it? I just got this as my walk-about-I-really-ought-to-always-carry-a-camera. I chose it for it's compactness and lightness. It seems to be pretty well constructed, and easy to use. The look and feel of it is very pleasing. What more do you want? Picture quality? I don't know - I'll post some later. I was going to get the new G2 model, but TBH the only difference seems to be the G2 has video, which I didn't want, and it was a lot more expensive. I think it will be great for flower photography with the multi-directional tilting screen in Liveview mode. The crop factor is 2x, with a normal size crop factor sensor, so image quality should be very good (5mp cm2)

here's the technical stuff. I have compared it against the new G2. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

Mine was £500 from Warehouse Express, including the kit lens, an extra battery, 8gb sd card, smart case and strap (which are extras). In addition, if you order before end July you get £50 cashback as a cheque - already got mine, it took a week. Much quicker than Canon. So, total price inc extras was £450.

Last edited by carregwen; 6th July 2010 at 11:02 AM.

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Say hello to the Panasonic G1 four thirds camera

And I heard you were a devoted Canon user :-)
    However, those Panasonics are quite appealing, I just got a LX3 myself!
    Looking forward to seeing some results.

Real Name
    John

The lens adapter (for different manufacturers) makes it a very versatile camera.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

OMG!!! You weren't kidding. You did get the pink!

Had a look at these on-line and it doesn't quite look like a pocket cam, as it's nearly as big as the D80. But the flower-in-a-bottle pic that you put up looks nice and sharp and very depthy. That swivel screen is also a real plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    The lens adapter (for different manufacturers) makes it a very versatile camera.
    Yes, you can use old Leica lenses on it due to the co-operation between Leica and Panasonic. Mind you, I probably can't afford even a used Leica lens!

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    OMG!!! You weren't kidding. You did get the pink!

Had a look at these on-line and it doesn't quite look like a pocket cam, as it's nearly as big as the D80. But the flower-in-a-bottle pic that you put up looks nice and sharp and very depthy. That swivel screen is also a real plus.
    It's not as small as they make out - probably a third smaller than a D80 or canon 450D. It has a lovely feel to it though.

The blue and yellow flower shot (shows the good DOF) Shot with a studio light on f/13. EXIF The swivel screen is great for composing indoor shots when you use it as Liveview, because you can twist it to the angle you need. Early days yet, but I would say this camera is definitely a good buy for a 'second' camera, and possible even as a first camera. If you could afford (or get) used Leica lenses (an adaptor is available) I think you would take some top-notch images with it. See here http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/09...icadaptors.asp

These are the available Panasonic lenses and adaptors http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...l#anker_388204

Last edited by carregwen; 7th July 2010 at 06:42 AM.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Rob, did you need to do much pp to the yellow flower? I would like to get a second camera as a keep-in-pocket or purse job. The D80 is great, but a little conspicuous sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Rob, did you need to do much pp to the yellow flower? I would like to get a second camera as a keep-in-pocket or purse job. The D80 is great, but a little conspicuous sometimes.
    Kit

This is a screen-grab of the RAW from the camera (no edits yet). I had to lighten the background in PS as I didn't have enough studio light on the back-board (too lazy). The flower had the exposure lifted a little, and it was sharpened.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Thanks Rob. That's not too bad, straight from camera, eh.

Looks like a good camera to have. I was considering getting one a while back. Love the red and black. Gives the camera some character which is lacking in most contemporary models.

Now you can see round corners

Real Name
    Steve

Looks a bit like a film 35mm but the image quality is very good. I have no idea of the size of it and the link to dpreview doesn't work on my pc, but then hardly anything does nowadays.

It would be nice to just walk around with a camera you could hide under your jacket should you need to.

Canon £65 cash back took ages, in fact I phoned them up after a couple of weeks and it took a couple of weeks longer to get an acknowledgement, finally I got it but still had to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Looks a bit like a film 35mm but the image quality is very good. I have no idea of the size of it and the link to dpreview doesn't work on my pc, but then hardly anything does nowadays.

It would be nice to just walk around with a camera you could hide under your jacket should you need to.

Canon £65 cash back took ages, in fact I phoned them up after a couple of weeks and it took a couple of weeks longer to get an acknowledgement, finally I got it but still had to wait.
    Sorry, Steve, that link worked when I posted it, and it's not working for me either now. Here's the single link to the G1. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...onic_dmcg1.asp

The sizes/weights are:

G1: 124mm x 84mm x 45 mm (360g)
    50D is: 146mm x 108mm x 74 mm (822g)

The biggest saving is the depth 74/45mm due to the G1 dropping the mirror and prism.

One from yesterday... Picton castle, West Wales
    Last edited by carregwen; 18th July 2010 at 10:05 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

It does take fine photo's. It must be good to have a camera that is always ready, a road rage incident happened near me once and it was just too much trouble to get the 10D out and change lens ect, it was over in a flash so I would have missed it.

On another occasion the river was filled with ducks so that you could not see space between them and yet another a horse was asleep on its back. cheers

On another occasion the river was filled with ducks so that you could not see space between them and yet another a horse was asleep on its back
    Sounds like a biblical epic starring Charlton Heston. I do know what you mean though.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Sounds like a biblical epic starring Charlton Heston. I do know what you mean though.
    I thought that, it is not something you see every day. It was incredible but I didn't have any camera on me. The invasion of the ducks, very worrying all ready for battle. I thought the horse was dead but saw his ear move, and when I shouted at it it looked offended and got up. (I was on the verge of phoning the cops to report a dead horse with it legs in the air) cor