Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: help! - black and white pic

help! - black and white pic

this is my first B&W pic and I am anxious to get some reviews.

helplithographic.jpg

Thanks a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th June 2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: help!

elkordel

Welcome to C in C. You should go onto this thread and tell us about yourself. Hopefully you've been lurking about on the site and found out we're an 'interesting' bunch!

I think the concept behind what you've done is good and you have clearly given a great deal of thought to what you wanted to do.

What do you think about a heavy crop, to just on the left hand side of the hand, i.e. almost half the image? I wonder if it would be a much stronger image if the focus was exclusively on the hand, as opposed to there being a competition for attention between the hand and the large area of blank space on the left? Also, there is nothing distinctive in the left hand side that, in my opinion, adds strength to the image. So, you could consider cutting it out.

It's one of those images with which, I think, you have to be clear as to what you are trying to say - What is the message/story you are wanting to convey? And then consider how best this image can be presented in order to convey that message.

But it's great to have another person posting B & Ws on here. So, welcome and enjoy your stay.

Real Name
    John

One of those images that needs to be viewed from a distance, as it literally pulls you into the photo.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

That's a very strong image, but I find I'm very distracted by the areas of black to the left of the hand. Even if they were a light grey they wouldn't be so intrusive. I'd like to see this re-shot, with the hand positioned on the left side and some of the wrist showing. Hope I'm not being too picky for you.

Real Name
    David

Hi Elkordel - Just to be contrary to the other comments - I like the image the way it is. To me the LHS black area gives a dynamic tension to the shot and the hand on the RHS is not in the expected place with space next to the palm. There is something enigmatic about the shot, something menacing, something sad. I'd be happy with this if I'd thought of it, but then I would have taken a lot more shots from different angles and perspectives to see what they looked like.

Cheers

David

Thanks a lot for your reviews. The pic is entitled "help!" as it is supposed to show a man in need of help as David noticed. I find your reviews very enlightening!
    This was shot with a "bridge" Sony 717 on the timer mode as it's the photographer who's lying "helpless" and framing was so difficult!
    Thanks again.

Nice to see you using a bridge to get another excellent image. I am a real fan of this gritty no nonsense stuff. As for composition I would personally crop the left hand tenth of the image and clone out the black blob that will be left looking lonely on the left hand edge. This type of image does not need to be introduced with a title or explanation it is for the viewers mind to fill the gaps. For me it is angst or even the throws of death...keep 'em coming

Steve