Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Anniversary Trip to Indiana..for C&C

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Wedding Anniversary Trip to Indiana..for C&C

As I had said in the other post, I was thinking of Binnur while processing these shots. Not exactly as good as hers but I will improve as I get along with the other ones I still have to do...

Exactly a week ago, on the first day of Autumn, we drove the 4 hour trip to Fair Oaks Farm in Indiana for our wedding anniversary. On the first day we decided not to go on the moo/dairy and oink-oink tour because we were both tired from the trip but decided to go to their restaurant. When we arrived, I got out to practice on my new UWA lens and took shots of the buildings around the facility.

1 The Restaurant where we had our dinner.

2 self explanatory

3 Inside of the restaurant – this is not really a big restaurant inside but it has ambiance and warmth inside. The kitchen is located at the left side divided by glass structure where everyone can see what is happening and how clean the kitchen is while the preparation is going on with your meal. We asked for a booth table.

4 The Market building where produce from the farm goes on sale including milk (Fairlife, Core, etc) all of which are lactose free, different cheeses, meat and some other products you might see at a supermarket.

5 Cowfe – this is where the complete range of cheeses made from cow's milk and other similar products are for sale, souvenir items, and a smallist restaurant is located. It also houses the yogurt making area.

6 The Pork building – I translated this to mono because of the busy-ness of the shot. It is a nice shot but I like this conversion better. This is where the Pig Tour starts where people line up to go the bus and to the Pig Farm area…You can just imagine how PETA feels about the farm which I will not discuss here despite the cleanliness of the area where the pigs are living in spoiled conditions being catered to 24/7.

Will upload some more images later as I processed them...'Will appreciate any comments and critique...Thanks all for looking and commenting...

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Wedding Anniversary Trip to Indiana..for C&C

Hi Izzie, while I don't know much about this kind of photography (don't think I have ever taken a shot of a building - deliberately), I like these photos. The sky in #5 looks great, and I like the mono processing on #6. The shot in the restaurant caught my attention, I think because of the angles. While the wall at left that separates the kitchen from the seating area, is vertical, the floor slopes down to it. I suppose that's because of the Ultra Wide lens. I wonder how it would look if perspective correction was applied?

It looks like a nice place to celebrate your anniversary, I hope you both had a nice day.

P.S. My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary later this month.

Real Name
    John

Nice series, you've composed these very well.

Real Name
    randy

So, Izzie.........Tell me about the new lens......

Real Name
    Jim

Nice series Izzie and I hope both of you had a good time. Really like the shot inside the restaurant.

Sometimes the wife and I make the short run up north to Ohio's Amish Country and spend a few days.

Real Name
    Kay

Congratulations to you both, milestones to treasure.
    I too really really like the inside of the restaurant image best out of this series.

Real Name
    Izzie

I tried to find Perspective in CS6 but I saw it in the Crop feature...I know there is another way to do it so I will have to look for it again...maybe google some past instructions...

It is is already "later" -- come and fess up, where did you take her?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisclick View Post
    Hi Izzie, while I don't know much about this kind of photography (don't think I have ever taken a shot of a building - deliberately), I like these photos. The sky in #5 looks great, and I like the mono processing on #6. The shot in the restaurant caught my attention, I think because of the angles. While the wall at left that separates the kitchen from the seating area, is vertical, the floor slopes down to it. I suppose that's because of the Ultra Wide lens. I wonder how it would look if perspective correction was applied?

It looks like a nice place to celebrate your anniversary, I hope you both had a nice day.

P.S. My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary later this month.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice series, you've composed these very well.
    Thank you John...I was hoping you'd pass by even though I did not mention you because you are more into the kind of architecture shot man...

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    It was the one I had along with 4 others but decided not to use the others because it is really a good one, especially in tours like we just had, you know...enclosed spaces and all that kind of stuff...I love it. One thing I do not like is the fact that on FF camera, it does not auto focus which is good and bad at the same time because on static objects or sceneries you can think and can feel if the focus is not sharp, but on quick shots, forget it -- I had some good shot with bad focusing but I have to work on them for sure...a lot, so I am just dumping some. Another minus is that I cannot fit a polarizer on it hence the conversion of the shot in #6, if you will notice (no you barely can't...after my pp) on the two little windows on the right side, my editing wasn't that good because I tried to use Content Aware on the lens flare...another reason why I converted that shot to this mono...

In landscape and much thinking, it is a very useful piece of lens -- with it on an FF camera, I can take lots of overviews with my shots and zoom in in pp. I know .... not a good way to think on a planned shoot but at least I got elbow room...I will want to buy a smaller FF like perhaps a D750 or the same as this for a second camera. I had tested this lens on a D90 and there is not much I can do about the pixel reach if I zoomed in even a little bit closer...

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Nice series Izzie and I hope both of you had a good time. Really like the shot inside the restaurant.

Sometimes the wife and I make the short run up north to Ohio's Amish Country and spend a few days.
    While we are there, we did, Ziggy. Thanks...I had seen some Amish establishment along the road going to and from Indiana and I wonder what it is like there...nice to get away every once in a while or a weekend from the dogs...and be our normal selves...

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Congratulations to you both, milestones to treasure.
    I too really really like the inside of the restaurant image best out of this series.
    Thanks Kay...yes too many trips already and intend to go further each time on a drive instead of airplane trips. We are planning a Gateway Swift event (a flying club for local Swift owners around our area I pulled together in 2012 for my husband) and fly to the nearest airport from Fair Oaks farm. Found out there is one in the area about 5 miles out of the farm that also offers free transport to and from Fair Oaks so after the Clambake Festival in Florida, our club must take that trip before it becomes too cold to go out...One hour by each of our planes (total of 6 planes), a tour of the Pig and Dairy Cows for another three, a quickie snack before we head home and chatters on the air and we are home and hosed for the day...so 4+ something to drive to by car but only one hour by plane, a good day outing nonetheless...

Real Name
    Izzie

Thank you all very much for your comments and critique...I really do appreciate it very much that you all did...

Real Name
    John

and a belated congratulations on the anniversary.

Real Name
    Chris

Ah, the time zone thing. It's the 1st of October here, Izzie. Anniversary is on the 26th.

Real Name
    Matt

Hi Izzie,

All the shots are very nicely composed, #5 is my personal favourite

Real Name
    Binnur

Congratulations on your anniversary Isabel

Nice set of images. Compositions all look good. My best is #5 with the dramatic clouds and IMO it would make a good BnW image too. I'm not very fond of the grain in #1 because I usually like grain in BnW images and I would lift the very dark shadows a bit if possible as my eyes immediately go on them when I look at the image. I like the colors and contrasts in the other images.The sharpening seems a bit too much on the foliage in #2. When I sharpen my images if the foliage looks too crisp I use a mask on the layer and I erase about %50(or sometimes more) of the sharpening with a soft brush on the crisp areas.

Thanks for liking my edits. I don't know how you edit your images, but If you are using some presets I would suggest that you shouldn't as they might make you lazy about editing. Trying different sliders, tweaking some filter effects,getting to know and using different tools broaden your vision while editing.Watching a lot of images and following some artists' work on the internet might also help you to have a vision

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    Actually I was curious about specs of the lens......I admit it....I suffer from NAS

In regards to the Nikon D750....I love mine. Darn thing is lighter than my D90 and makes pretty pictures when I push the little button on the top.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    and a belated congratulations on the anniversary.
    Thanks, John...

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisclick View Post
    Ah, the time zone thing. It's the 1st of October here, Izzie. Anniversary is on the 26th.
    I know...you are way ahead of us in the time department. Though I have my Microsoft clocks in my computers to display both Oz and local time so I know when to call my little grandchild during the weekend, I still miss!

The reason why we went so far from home to celebrate is because I thought ignoring me all day on a special day then taking me out for dinner is not the way to go anymore...it became so boring...

So where did you take her to celebrate...??

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Izzie,

All the shots are very nicely composed, #5 is my personal favourite
    Thanks...Matt -- I tried to replicate it with my other shots but I cannot...I think I used bi-color in CEP4 there...I am not sure...I appreciate your passing by...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast