Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Testing HDR software

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Testing HDR software

I've been testing different hdr software for a while now and thought I'd try two slightly non-aligned jpeg images, using Essential HDR, TuFuse Pro and SNS hdr Lite. The non-alignment came about because I didn't have a tripod with me and just braced against a lamppost.

Here are the three images.

The first is Essential Hdr, which offers to align your images.
    Testing HDR software

The second is TuFuse Pro.
    Testing HDR software

The third is SNS HDR lite.
    Testing HDR software

These three images are not otherwise tweaked for exposure, levels or anything else. They are all straight off the hdr software, except for a resize in Irfanview.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th June 2010 at 12:51 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Testing HRD software

Unless you can tweak the alignment features of Essential and TuFuse, I would skip both of these options. Also, it looks like TuFuse is a demo version and will not remove the watermarks until you purchase the software.

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    I've been testing different hdr software for a while now and thought I'd try two slightly non-aligned jpeg images, using Essential HDR, TuFuse Pro and SNS hdr Lite. The non-alignment came about because I didn't have a tripod with me and just braced against a lamppost.

Here are the three images.

The first is Essential Hdr, which offers to align your images.
    Testing HDR software

The second is TuFuse Pro.
    Testing HDR software

The third is SNS HDR lite.
    Testing HDR software

These three images are not otherwise tweaked for exposure, levels or anything else. They are all straight off the hdr software, except for a resize in Irfanview.

Real Name
    Remco

It seems the first two are fooled by the repetitive textures (look at the brick in the lower left part, and the blue netting). So if you have only automatic alignment, drop them, or use an external tool (autopano?). For such images, you'll have to handpick the alignment points most of the time: the automatic procedures look for resemblance in a fairly small area, so they get easily fooled by repetitive textures

Real Name
    Steve

Here is one using Picturenaught of three frames hand held without support. The first two don't work at all for me.

Testing HDR software

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Unless you can tweak the alignment features of Essential and TuFuse, I would skip both of these options. Also, it looks like TuFuse is a demo version and will not remove the watermarks until you purchase the software.
    Oh, yes, I've made my mind up already. I've had a paid version of Essential for a while now, and have never been very satisfied with it. And TuFuse Pro might yet be a contender with correctly shot tripod images, (not tried yet)but what got me was how good SNS is - and it's a bog basic freeby at the moment, with no possibility to do anything but drag the images into the window. And that was the whole aim of the excersise - to see which one would deal best with slightly non aligned images.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Re: Testing HDR software

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Here is one using Picturenaught of three frames hand held without support. The first two don't work at all for me.
    Ah, Picturenaught - I think I have that lurking somewhere on the hard drive. Must dig it out.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 29th June 2010 at 12:51 PM.