Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Techniques Page: Intro to Macro Photography

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

New Techniques Page: Intro to Macro Photography

A new page will be added to the techniques section of this website, but I'm making the link accessible here first:

Introduction to Macro Photography

It's intended to be an introductory level overview of macro photography technique. There's slight repetition compared to the existing two articles on macro, but this is mostly just at the start in order to introduce the topic. I may also add some more diagrams.

For more technical reading on this topic, one should refer to the other recent articles on Macro Lenses: Magnification, Effective F-Stop & Depth of Field and Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses.

As usual, comments/typos/suggestions/etc are all welcome. I'm still in the process of editing it so there may be some minor additions/fixes over the next few days...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: New Techniques Page: Intro to Macro Photography

Hi Sean,

A first read through didn't throw up any typos or omissions, but I will re-read later.

Looks like a good primer, very readable and flows nicely with just enough detail where needed.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Sean;

This is a wonderful tutorial: quite up to your high standards. I'm personally fortunate that you've chosen to write about macro just as I've been exploring it. It's been a huge help to me.

In the "Sharpness and control" section, where the image of the remote is referenced: "remote switch or shutter release device (above)...." I'm being too picky, no doubt, but maybe someone would assume a simple remote would be inadequate. Perhaps worth changing "above" to "for instance, the one shown above"?

In the same section:
    Alternatively, setting the camera to a 10 second self-timer mode can also minimize camera shake, but this approach doesn't have the advantage of freezing the composition because the shutter button still has to be pressed.
    I don't understand this: does this mean doesn't freeze the composition at the time the button is pressed?

In the "focusing and DOF" section, would it be possible to link to the DOF section in the macro lens tutorial, rather than the vanilla DOF tutorial? It would be more useful, I think.

In the same section, first sentence after the wonderful picture of the ants: "Fortunately, the location of sharpest focus appears much more pronounced when the subject is under high magnification." I assume this means, "more pronounced in the viewfinder," since otherwise it wouldn't be "fortunate."

End of that same paragraph: "In addition, special equipment may be needed in order to improve focus control:" Instead of "may be needed," maybe say, "can be very helpful"?

In the "optimal aperture" section, is the recommendation for f/11 - f/16 for 1.6 crop, full frame, or both? With the variation in pixel density, maybe f/11 - f/16 is a good overall rule of thumb for both.

Cheers,
    Rick

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    In the "Sharpness and control" section . . .
    I've changed that passage to read:

Finally, using a remote switch or shutter release device (such as the one shown above) can also greatly improve the sharpness and control over macro photos, because the camera no longer moves as a result of you pressing the shutter button. Alternatively, setting the camera to a 10 second self-timer mode can also minimize camera shake, but this approach doesn't have the advantage of preserving the composition, because the shutter button still has to be pressed to start the timer (potentially nudging the camera).
    It's now more a little more specific.

In the "focusing and DOF" section, would it be possible to link to the DOF section in the macro lens tutorial, rather than the vanilla DOF tutorial? It would be more useful, I think.
    I'll figure out a way to work this in . . .

In the same section, first sentence after the wonderful picture of the ants: "Fortunately, the location of sharpest focus appears much more pronounced when the subject is under high magnification." I assume this means, "more pronounced in the viewfinder," since otherwise it wouldn't be "fortunate."

End of that same paragraph: "In addition, special equipment may be needed in order to improve focus control:" Instead of "may be needed," maybe say, "can be very helpful"?
    These have been reworded.

In the "optimal aperture" section, is the recommendation for f/11 - f/16 for 1.6 crop, full frame, or both? With the variation in pixel density, maybe f/11 - f/16 is a good overall rule of thumb for both.
    Yeah, the range is broad enough that it's intended to apply to both.

Thanks for all the feedback!
    Last edited by McQ; 26th June 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

I should have realized that the issue with the self-timer was disturbing the camera.

Thanks!
    Rick