Bumble Bee
    New Macros

Hover Fly
    New Macros

Lady Bird
    New Macros

Fire Flies
    New Macros

All shot with 5DII Sigma 150 macro and MR-14ex ring flash.
    C&C always welcomed.
    Last edited by Jim B.; 25th June 2010 at 07:30 AM.

Real Name
    Rick

Re: New Macros

Incredible shots, Jim. The detail is spectacular in all of them. Are the fireflies mating, with one having a head in a flower? It appears to be genus Photuris, based on the wing markings, and apparently some species eat as adults. Of course, Photuris includes the firefly species that decoy other fireflies by mimicking signals, right?

Cheers,
    Rick

Stunning, Jim. Can't say much else. Except the standard of photography on this forum is definitely going up.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Darn it Jim, I can't compete with this!!!!

Excellent shots, well done,

These are textbook, reference quality shots here. Top-notch. You should be proud!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I am completely gobsmacked. These are just stunning.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It's already been said

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Darn it Jim, I can't compete with this!!!!

Excellent shots, well done,
    What I should have added to the first sentence is that it gives me something to aim for

Real Name
    Jim

Thanks for the kind words,everyone.
    Rick,yes Photuris is the one that the female mimics other species flash patterns to draw males in to eat.
    I'm pretty sure this female was eating.She never stopped moving(like a feeding bee).

Dave,everything just started to click for me lately.My shooting technique has improved , I have a decent grasp on my lighting and my PP is getting better.
    Practice,practice....these shots are among 500 + or - I've taken in the past 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Jim B.; 26th June 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Jim,
    Excellent shots, practice has made perfect!
    Do you always use a flash for macros?
    I'm interested in opinions of flash or no flash for macro shots as I may need to consider a purchase before VAT goes up!

New Macros

'Holding On' Nikon D300s, 105mm F2.8 Micro VRII, no flash. 1/200s F7.1 ISO 200.
    Last edited by Mike in UK; 25th June 2010 at 09:55 AM.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Mike,
    I started shooting macro with available light.It can been done with very good results but you need a lot of light because you want to stop the lens down to at least f/11.
    Flash makes things easier.I can shoot at higher f stops for deeper DoF,lower ISO and it helps freeze motion.
    The Bumble Bee was feeding so it was never still.Natural light I would have had to boost ISO up to at least 800 to get a sharp picture.
    I definitely recommend getting a flash.Another piece of gear you want to consider is a flash bracket to get the flash off camera and as close to the front of the lens as possible.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Jim,
    I added the exposure details above. You will note that I had to go to F7.1 but kept to ISO 200 as there was a high amount of natural light, on this occasion!

Real Name
    Jim

Mike,

Really nice shot! Love the colours and the bokeh.Does the VR in that lens make a difference when handholding shots?
    I have the Canon 100 2.8 non IS and I've been thinking about buying the new 100L with IS.Not sure if it would be worth the upgrade for me.

Real Name
    Steve

Awesome shots jim, the detail in the first one is amaizing. Keep them comming!

Real Name
    Mike

Hi Jim,
    I do like the VRII!
    I tried this at 1/30s, F3.5, ISO 1600.
    The only light was from the small Lava lamp and the metallic flakes came out rather well I think.

New Macros

'Lava'

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    Mike,

Really nice shot! Love the colours and the bokeh.Does the VR in that lens make a difference when handholding shots?
    I have the Canon 100 2.8 non IS and I've been thinking about buying the new 100L with IS.Not sure if it would be worth the upgrade for me.
    Hi, Jim;

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have the 100mm 2.8L IS. I use it hand-held mostly, and the IS works quite well.

Here's a shot I didn't put up because the highlights are blown. I did have a flash on for fill, but there's lots of ambient, too, so I think any camera shake would be evident. 1/60s for a 160mm equivalent lens isn't bad.

New Macros

The other thing to consider is going from 150mm to 100mm. The SubjectDistance for this shot was 1.5 feet, according to the EXIF. I imagine that's measured from the lens's center, rather than the front element. Here's the overall frame. So you'll need to get closer with this lens: I'm sure you know that, but this may help give you a feel.

New Macros

I love the lens, by the way: I'm definitely struggling to get macro working, but that's my fault, not the lens. When I hit a combination right on occasion, the results are spectacular.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Jim

Rick,

Yep,working distance will be tighter with the 100,but the IS would be nice to have.There's already some used 100Ls for sale here and there.I might sell my non IS and go for the L.

Real Name
    Terry

Alright. That’s it and enough is enough already.

I just can’t sit here and take it anymore and I feel compelled to speak my feeble mind. I just don’t think I can live with myself if I don’t.

But Jim? These macro shots you have done are just completely off the charts to me. I am totally bedazzled!

And that goes for you too, Mike.

I saw these and my day was made. There is a philosophy that the contemplation of miniature landscapes brings peace and tranquility. I practice this philosophy as much as I can and I believe it. It is very cool for me to be in the virtual presence of some True Wizards!

Also, I agree with Rob and his comment about the unbelievable quality of images found here.

Very well done Macro Maestros!

And Lava lamp? Just the mere thought of those is giving me flashbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in UK View Post
    The only light was from the small Lava lamp and the metallic flakes came out rather well I think.

New Macros
    Child of the 70's eh? Flared jeans, kaftans, joss sticks, platform shoes, inhaleable psychotropic substances... and lava lamps. Nice.

Real Name
    Richard

It has all been said... But, I want to add my comments. These are truly wonderful images...