Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gps

Real Name
    John

Re: Gps

Quote Originally Posted by jonjdoe View Post
    Thanks, Everyone, for your input. The instrument is due to arrive any minute now. Once I've installed it and given it a try, I'll say more.
    WOO HOO....Glad I did it. It works exactly as I needed......Thanks for all the input

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

WOO HOO....Glad I did it. It works exactly as I needed......Thanks for all the input
    Excellent news. It's always good when something does exactly what we want it to do.

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    (...)
    Would I buy it again? probably not! I otherwise use a small garmin unit which produces a standard .gpx route, which Lightroom can use to tag images (you just have to make sure the camera clock is correct to the second).

(...)
    What I do to get around that is take a picture of the GPS unit (my tablet) at the end of the run: the GPS window shows the correct time, the picture has the camera time, when tagging, it's easy to correct for the difference (and you can't forget to set the camera time correctly)

Real Name
    John

Thanks, Everyone, for your input. The instrument is due to arrive any minute now. Once I've installed it and given it a try, I'll say more.
    It accomplished exactly what I wanted it to do, and with so little effort I'm really glad I did it. Thanks, All.

Real Name
    Richard

I'm taking a driving trip this Autumn across an old US Highway that has a lot of history. My interest is in taking lots of shots and hope this will mitigate some of the note-taking.
    Thank you for the input.
    Does the 5D III allow audio files to be recorded and connected to the Image. That way you could state the information regarding location etc. However, unless you are doing some type of scientific or legal oriented project I don's know why you would need the specific map coordinates. Just a quick identification like "Ruined gasoline station along old Route 66 West of Albuquerque N.M."

Some of the Professional 1D (series cameras can include audio files). I really think that the 5D and 7D series of Canon DSLR cameras should also have had that capability. I have a 1995 era Olympus 5050Z P&S which allows audio recording for information regarding images.. It was really handy on a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park...

You can use the 5D III to document what you are shooting by shooting a video clip (using lowest quality format) of the scene and record your description. Using the lowest quality video will save space.

I have used this technique when shooting a group of models. I shot a video of each lady and asked her to state her name and spell it on the video and spell out her email address.

A plain old pocket tape recorder or a newer digital recorder is another very efficient way to take notes.

BTW: On trips with a guide, it might be worthwhile to videotape the guide's explanations and descriptions. I wish I had thought about that during my trip to China. One day we hit four cities and I couldn't remember in what city we had eaten our evening meal

Real Name
    John

I like your idea of the audio. I do have a compact digital voice recorder, and have used it when guides were around. It's good to jog the memory as well as concentrate on the shot and not so much on notes. Thanks for the tip.

Real Name
    Martin

My daughter gave me a Canon GP E2 for Christmas a couple of years ago. I was a bit hesitant about it's usefulness until my wife and I went on one of those crazy "see Europe in 25 days" bus tours. After three weeks of jumping on and off the buses and trains, taking photos in towns and cities with strange sounding names we were exhausted and totally confused as to where we had been.
    It is good to be able to reflect now and see where we were and where each photo was taken.
    It works well in Lightroom, showing where each photo was taken on a Google map. It is compatible with my old Canon 7D and works equally as well with my Canon 5D Mkiii.
    They are expensive, but I think they are good value

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12