Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Time

Real Name
    Terry

River Time

I finally got around to replacing my day/sport watch.

I’ve had three of these and I’m pretty hard on them. They never really quit working and keeping good time, its just that I beat one up enough that maybe the bezel won't turn because its so dented, or I can't see it for all the scratches on the crystal! But I like them enough that when I’ve finally beaten one down, I replace it with the same one!

And since they last so long it’s rare that I have to get a new one. But if you have a brand new watch, no dings, dents, scratches, it just seems logical that one would photograph it while it still looks that good!

Tomorrow it probably won’t!

1/200th
    f/11
    ISO 400
    100mm macro lens
    Two lights fired

River Time

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: River Time

very nicely done indeed.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

Nice capture.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Terry, what do you mean by beating your watch down? You mean by wear or something really physical? I like this shot, but what is that water/water drop? This is a composite? Just asking...the watch is wet but the water drop is a little bit too large to come from that watch...just thinking out loud...did I open my mouth?

Real Name
    Jim

Nice looking watch. Don't think people wear watches like they used to.

All on the phone.

Real Name
    Ted

As a collector myself, I can appreciate the shot - nicely done and much prettier than a G-shock

http://kronometric.org/tcw/

Real Name
    Terry

Allan, thank you, sir.

John, thanks man!

Hi Miss Izzie!

We got another round of torrential rain today. Lots of flooding. Looked like it missed you?

So much for the weather report!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Terry, what do you mean by beating your watch down? You mean by wear or something really physical?
    Yes. I have to wipe the blood off occasionally as well!

I like this shot, but what is that water/water drop? This is a composite? Just asking...the watch is wet but the water drop is a little bit too large to come from that watch...just thinking out loud...did I open my mouth?
    Yes. It is a three shot composite all shot on the same set with the same composition.

You may notice that the drop is well in front of the watch/Friendship Rock (I’ll explain the Legend of the Friendship Rock on request but not take the time now). So it was not meant to be a drop from the watch itself but rather an element of the composition of its own (like the water, the driftwood, the rock, all of it together) that I hoped would add to the sport/ruggedness element of these watches. The watch is waterproof and believe me, I have tested them over and again. Submerged! So I chose to shoot it in an aqueous environment to hopefully emphasize its rugged durability as well as shoot it in a nice light and get some beauty as well. Its not a hugely expensive watch Izzie, but it is a very good day to day watch that takes the punishment something on my arm has to endure! And it does everything I ask from a watch that I can wear every day and depend on it to tell me the time, date, and bezel!

Not really an advertisement, but just the “story” I wanted to tell in a still life shot.

Guessed I missed the mark Izzie?

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Nice looking watch. Don't think people wear watches like they used to.

All on the phone.
    Olde Schoole I suppose Jim!

I feel naked without a watch on and I do a lot of stuff where the stupid phone is left behind! A lot of places I end up in still have no Sacred Signal!

Ted, I can’t say that I can remember having the pleasure of you commenting on one of my shots. I’d have to look back!

But I can sure say I really appreciate you taking the time to do so sir. I always respect your opinion and your knowledge.

Can't say the Casio is nicer or prettier or anything better than the G Ted! They are both kind of the same class of watch. But hopefully, as we shoot them, we can make the maybe "average" stuff look really cool?

Real Name
    Ted

Terry, what do you mean by beating your watch down?
    Izzie, watch collectors on watch fora refer to their "daily beaters" in posts. Often, shortened down (just like we do), to "beater".

The watch can be any model or make, entirely up to the collector. A Rolex Submariner well dinged-up is supposed to be impressive to those in the know. Like Terry, I am partial to rotating bezels. Mine are set to tell me local solar time - by which I regulate my day

I alternate between these for daily wear:

http://kronometric.org/tcw/mec/vintage_V/mas.html

http://kronometric.org/tcw/mil/sandy/650/mas.html

"shaken, not stirred" in the second link refers to the so-called James Bond strap.

Real Name
    Brian

I wear neither watch nor tie. Still and all this is a superb shot. I am guessing that this was taken with some of those new habits I should create?

Real Name
    Grahame

Ingenious Terry.

I'm another that could not be without my favourite watch on my wrist, not as pristine looking now as this one, a poor timekeeper but the most expensive I have bought

Real Name
    Izzie

You got very expensive taste in watch, Ted...but they are beautiful...I like the first one on the second link...very simple and more useful to my eyes. Most of the watches around here are pilot inspired...I wonder why? not too keen on them much...

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Izzie, watch collectors on watch fora refer to their "daily beaters" in posts. Often, shortened down (just like we do), to "beater".

The watch can be any model or make, entirely up to the collector. A Rolex Submariner well dinged-up is supposed to be impressive to those in the know. Like Terry, I am partial to rotating bezels. Mine are set to tell me local solar time - by which I regulate my day

I alternate between these for daily wear:

http://kronometric.org/tcw/mec/vintage_V/mas.html

http://kronometric.org/tcw/mil/sandy/650/mas.html

"shaken, not stirred" in the second link refers to the so-called James Bond strap.

Real Name
    Izzie

About your image, yes -- to me it missed the mark a tad...in me thinking....Actually, I sort of know about the legend of the Friendship Rock from a long time ago -- It is a witchitee lucky stone with a hole in the middle used as an amulet or protection. If you happen to find one, hang it in your home for luck. There are other stories about the hag stones somewhere in the internet if one know what to look for.

Now that is taken cared of, let us talk about your shot here...

I like that there seemed to be a main light in the face of the watch, actually like three of them, one on both side of the face and one hitting the hands...Very interesting for me to see that you emphasized on the clarity of that face without any glare at all or hint of being lighted by anything else. That is the brilliant thing here. Also the added starburst is a bonus.

As for the sportiness of the watch vs the water image...I think one of your splashes shot will do very well here seeing that the action itself of the splash will match more the look of the so-well loved and used watch, don't you think...just thinking of an advert about running shoes and splash of water of the person wearing it...that also depicts ruggedness. Just my thinking cap on...nothing to nit because your image is well sharp and beautifully presented. What I missed is the story behind the composition...at 2am who can think straight...when I am about to strangle a dog for jumping in my bed and waking me up so I can take her out...but that is another story for another day...since you are already here and done this, why not take it to the next level and do it advertising style instead...you know you are good at it...

I am a fan of analog watches too...I have quite a few in my collection because I like men's watches better than the smallist look of the women's version...must be my eyes...

As for the weather, we seemed to be missing much on the flooding action. We only heard about it from others. Touch wood we never get to experience such. So far the best we experienced is a fallen tree inside our property at the back and nothing more than that...

Thank you for making me think...

Real Name
    Binnur

Interesting composition, another example of your different style Terry

Real Name
    Terry

Brian thank you for stopping in and commenting. I appreciate that you took the time to do so. You would be hard pressed to see me in a tie! Unless (and guess which one is me!)…

River Time

I don’t know what new habits you think you should create Brian. But I try to do the best I know how to do!

Thank you Grahame! I don’t need much from a watch, but it really doesn’t do me much good if I’m not wearing it!

Thank you for commenting, Binnur.

Izzie, A Friendship Rock is a rock with a hole in it that you give to a Friend! The hole in the rock represents the hole in your Heart that you have when you are away from your Friend. It is something that I would give to you! When we float the rivers with children, we try to find one for every kid along with the explanation of the meaning. They are fairly common on the river but you have to look for them. This particular rock was given to me years ago by a Friend that is no longer with me, so it is one of my most valued possessions. It lives permanently in my float bag when it is put into service as a model!

I appreciate your detailed analysis of the shot Izzie. I’m a lot better at producing a photograph than I am at telling a story. So it is no surprise that I didn’t quite hit it! I’m not quite sure what you mean about doing it advertising style though. That could mean anything an advertiser/manufacturer might have in mind! If you google Casio watch images you would find that they are mostly all pretty plain, basic shots, and predominantly on a white BG. That’s cool and those are not especially easy to do and get right, but I guess I wanted to do something else just to keep myself amused!

I had the shot in mind for a while, but executing it was, of course, another story! I wanted something a little more subdued as opposed to hosing it with a huge splash! But I still wanted to do something high speed, so I just opted for a drop! Even if I missed the mark I accidently stumbled onto a way to do these drops with a much, much higher success rate. And in a way I never would have thought of so that alone was worth the price of admission!

There are also a couple of technical problems with the image as is. One of which would require a re-shoot!

Real Name
    Brian

the one in the red t-shirt with no tie? Or the one behind the camera

Real Name
    Terry

Neither! I'm wearing a tie for once and I had the camera on it's timer so I could be in the shot!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

As always, Terry, a beautifully executed shot. I really do enjoy your postings and every time you put one up, I get the itch to start doing more product type shots, but rarely end up doing so.

You seem to be a lot rougher on your watches than I am and after wearing a shirt and tie for most of my working career, that was one part of retirement I thoroughly enjoy. Had to get a new suit and tie for an upcoming wedding though, so I guess I will have to get back into wearing it for at least one more day...

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Neither! I'm wearing a tie for once and I had the camera on it's timer so I could be in the shot!

Myra says the one in the middle wit a tie and no shirt looks like a loose canon.

Real Name
    Terry

Miss Myra would be absolutely right Brian. That is one loose cannon allright. But its not The Loose Canon! Its my 19 yo nephew! Please thank Miss Myra for me! I haven’t been mistaken for a 19 yo since I was 19! Also please tell Miss Myra that I’m the Handsome Devil (yeah right) on the far frame right in the sun-faded orange shirt with his arm around his Beautiful Bride while you keep guessing!

Manfred, thank you sir. Means a lot coming from you. Maybe when I retire I’ll start wearing a suit and tie everyday along with the Seiko! Be a change for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    ...every time you put one up, I get the itch to start doing more product type shots, but rarely end up doing so.
    I know what you mean. It can be a real PITA to shoot this way especially if you have to set up and tear down afterwards every time like I have to. Its tedious, at times frustrating, and doesn’t always produce instant gratification. Not to mention having to have access to additional studio gear. But I guess for those reasons I do it. I like putzing around with a scene working quietly alone for sometimes hours on end! When I’m doing that I’m totally focused. I’m not worrying about the electric bill or the day to day!

Plus I get to make huge messes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast