Thread: Seeking advice - photographing hummingbirds and +- flash

Real Name
    Christina

Seeking advice - photographing hummingbirds and +- flash

Much to my delight the new place I've moved to has some kind of fir/pine/spruce tree that is frequented by Rufous hummingbirds! Much to my dismay they only come out around sunset/sunrise so the light is especially low! My attempts to avoid higher iso's lead me to choose too, low shutter speeds for hand held shots (not posted below SS of 1/400). Using a smaller aperture would also come in handy for their beaks when they are facing the camera and also their wings.

This experience has me thinking about purchasing a flash and the biggest concern I have is whether or not flash is disturbing and/or possibly harmful to birds. I've read that flash may be harmful to owls but I've heard that it doesn't seem to bother hummingbirds, and I can't find anything that says that it is. I need more light so...

I would appreciate it if folks could share any links on the subject of using flash on birds, especially hummingbirds for me and others to learn from. The use of flash on birds seems to be a topic that can be controversial so please share in a manner that is respectful to all.

Some shots to share for learning purposes for myself and hopefully others...

Challenges...

Higher ISO's necessitate noise reduction in the background but I've left as is for the sake of learning... I've lifted the exposure/shadows in all, and they are all cropped, a lot.

Richer colours would be nice but mean I'd have to lower the ISO/shutter speed etc, which makes photographing these birds even more challenging. Hence the question on flash.

Disappearing wings... I kind of like the artistic effect but then again it would be nice to see all of the wings in sharp detail, too.

The 1st two captures SS 1/1000 & 1250 f4 ISO 560 & 800 Focal length 300 mm

SS 1/400 f4 ISO 1250 Focal length 300 mm

Additional Question...

If I were to purchase a flash for my Nikon D7100 what type of flash should I purchase" Likely used mostly on flowers, bugs and perhaps one day, still life shots. I just read an article on using flash on hummingbirds and in that piece the photographer had 3 flash units set up, and I'm hopeful that just one flash will do - if I decide that I'm comfortable with using flash on hummingbirds.

Aside... For those who might be inclined to think that I'm too worried about the use of flash... I used my on-camera flash on a wasp the other day and although it didn't seem to bother him/her insects might have feelings that we need to be considerate of. (yes, I've swatted a fly and stepped on a spider during my lifetime, nevertheless something to think about) See...

http://brainblogger.com/2015/06/26/d...s-and-empathy/

Thank you.

Real Name
    John

Re: Seeking advice - photographing hummingbirds and +- flash

On this the author says that flash can be harmful to birds, but then he goes on explaining how to use flash with birds.

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-b...s-using-flash/

Real Name
    Terry

Nice shots Christina.

I’ve never seen anything definitive that says flash does harm to birds. But I have seen a writing or two that does seem to dispute any harm being done.

In fact, it seems that birds can focus directly at the sun. Its quite an old posting though
    http://photo.net/learn/nature/owlflash

Lots of stuff out there and the last google I did was today because of this thread.

In 2012 I took some time to shoot hummingbirds and this was when I first became curious if using flash would be detrimental to the birds because I planned to use flash. To be honest, I never found any empirical evidence that determined that flash was harmful. The birds never even seemed to give it another thought and never did I notice any behavioral changes or any evidence of startle because of the flash. I disturbed them more if I walked over to the feeder than staying away and firing flash. But you can find a lot of conflicting “opinions” out there that are not based on anything scientific. Also I might note I was, of course, shooting in the daylight hours rather than lighting up something in pitch black night and after the night vision kicked in.

I used three speedlights in softboxes for these. Pretty much like a standard portrait setup. Two at about 45* angles to the camera and one off to the right behind for some rim lighting. I set them to high speed sync. ISO 400, f/4.0, 1/1600th shutter, which is the minimum I would go. 200mm FL on a crop sensor. I didn’t mind a little motion blur in the wings. In fact, preferred it. Open shade under a tree with the background quite a distance away and on a tripod with the ball head just loose enough so I could move it but still retained a little resistance with it.

I set manual focus on the feeder as the starting reference point. I then manually focused on the birds when they came into the frame area. I shot with an eye to crop so I could have a larger FoV. You have to be sure which way to rotate the focus ring (for closer or further away than your starting focus point) for your lens so you can be quick about getting focus and pull the trigger. I never had any luck using auto focus.

I didn’t use the flash to stop the action in this case. Just too much ambient and couldn’t get a clean stop.

There was also a guy on here (Steve S) that posted his technique here and its really good. He has has posted some excellent hummer shots here.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Your hummer shots are good too as well as Christina's. I have some of a long time ago but I need to look for it and bugger if I can find it easily... Thank you for the link, Terry...

Real Name
    Christina

John...

Thank you for the informative link. Truly appreciated.

Terry...

A very special thank you for sharing your knowledge, and personal experience photographing these birds with flash. Very reassuring to hear. I haven't found any articles based on solid research, just heated discussions on the topic, and most have to do with owls. FYI that first link doesn't work.

Hearing that you need 3 speed lights and soft boxes means that this is something that I will likely have to postpone for a while. As soon as I'm able to do so I will purchase one speedlight and then of course I have to learn how to use it.

Also thank you for bringing up Steve's link. Of course I remember his beautiful hummingbirds but I totally forgot about this link which I will review in depth.

Beautiful images, with the 2nd being my favourite. Gorgeous!

Izzie...

Off topic... If you ever decide to print that beautiful flower I hope you fix that spot.

Real Name
    Terry

Sorry Christina, I’ll try it again:
    It works when I am logged in or out and hit it but who knows? It’s a good couple of articles. Maybe if you are interested going to photo.net and searching might bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear View Post
    Hearing that you need 3 speed lights and soft boxes means that this is something that I will likely have to postpone for a while. As soon as I'm able to do so I will purchase one speedlight and then of course I have to learn how to use it.
    Hey I didn’t mean for a misunderstanding. I used three speedlights. I sure didn’t mean to imply that three absolutely must be used. If I didn't come off right I sure do apologize!

I don’t see why one couldn’t do something with one light and it sure would be worth trying. If I were going to use one light source I would also use reflectors (foam board, 5in1’s, whatever). I would be willing to bet one could get great results with a single light source. I think that’s what Steve used if memory serves, and he posted some awesome shots!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

A friend of mine has consistently made absolutely beautiful photos of hummingbirds whether using one speedlight or no speedlights. Some of his photos stop the wing action and some intentionally don't stop it. I phoned him once from the National Geographic headquarters to let him know that I was looking at a photo of a hummingbird that wasn't nearly as good as any of his best photos.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Terry,

Thank you, kindly for advising. Indeed this is one of the article I have read.

No need to apologize. I know nothing about flash and just assumed that if you used 3 of them...

Honestly I just looked up speedlights for Nikon cameras which I assume are some kind of flash and there are so many types at so many prices it all reads like gobbly gook to me... So even before purchasing just one I will have to learn about these and do some research.

For now I will just do my best with the available light and try using a makeshift reflector. As they are in a tree right outside my home, easy to practice on.

Thank you, as always, truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Sorry Christina, I’ll try it again:
    It works when I am logged in or out and hit it but who knows? It’s a good couple of articles. Maybe if you are interested going to photo.net and searching might bring it up.

Hey I didn’t mean for a misunderstanding. I used three speedlights. I sure didn’t mean to imply that three absolutely must be used. If I didn't come off right I sure do apologize!

I don’t see why one couldn’t do something with one light and it sure would be worth trying. If I were going to use one light source I would also use reflectors (foam board, 5in1’s, whatever). I would be willing to bet one could get great results with a single light source. I think that’s what Steve used if memory serves, and he posted some awesome shots!

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing but could you please explain or ask you friend to post a few hummingbirds with some words of advice for all, especially me, to learn from?

I read your comment on Barbara's thread which said something along the lines of knowing when it is best to use flash on birds and people, but as I have no experience using flash your statement is beyond my current level of comprehension. I'm assuming flash will allow me to use a higher iso and a faster shutter speed, and a slightly smaller aperture. (these birds have long pointy beaks which f4 seems inadequate for when they are facing you) The only other reason I can think of to use flash would be to fill shadow, possibly soften harsh shadows... Guessing, and hoping to learn because these adorable little birds are just outside my place.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    A friend of mine has consistently made absolutely beautiful photos of hummingbirds whether using one speedlight or no speedlights. Some of his photos stop the wing action and some intentionally don't stop it. I phoned him once from the National Geographic headquarters to let him know that I was looking at a photo of a hummingbird that wasn't nearly as good as any of his best photos.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 20th July 2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: punctuation

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Christina,

Sorry, but my friend doesn't participate in CiC.

As for the use of flash, there are so many considerations and reasons for and ways of using it depending on the situation that you're better off reviewing a few video tutorials or some reading material that cover the basics; my thinking is that there is a lot more to take into account than can be effectively covered in a thread such as this one. There are probably also some materials that provide the information that is pertinent to photographing birds or even hummers.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Mike,

Alas, I was hoping that perhaps you might persuade your friend to participate.

Thank you for advising. Understood, and I will read up on the subject. I just wanted to know everything by 8pm tonight, or the latest by tomorrow in case I could purchase a flash so soon.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Christina,

Sorry, but my friend doesn't participate in CiC.

As for the use of flash, there are so many considerations and reasons for and ways of using it depending on the situation that you're better off reviewing a few video tutorials or some reading material that cover the basics; my thinking is that there is a lot more to take into account than can be effectively covered in a thread such as this one. There are probably also some materials that provide the information that is pertinent to photographing birds or even hummers.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Christina,

Good to see you raising new learning projects

I'm limited by time at present but a couple of pointers re flash for this.

The main difference with the Nikon range is going to be the power of them and hence cost. The power you are going to need is going to be determined by the flash to subject distances you are considering.

Another thing to investigate is how you are going to trigger these flash units if placed off the camera. Cable (yuk), separate trigger transmitter/receiver or your camera may have a flash command function where the pop up flash is used to trigger a remote flash.

Grahame

Real Name
    Christina

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Hi Christina,

Good to see you raising new learning projects
    Just in the thinking stages...

Thank you kindly for advising on the things I need to be aware of... Truly appreciated. Hugs for thoughtful and especially nice bugs..
    Grahame

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear View Post
    I just wanted to know everything by 8pm tonight, or the latest by tomorrow in case I could purchase a flash so soon.
    Sounds to me that now is the time and the time is now!