Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hummer #2

Real Name
    Steve

Hummer #2

Getting a little better i think, still working on it...............................

Hummer #2

Real Name
    Rick

Re: Hummer #2

Wow - unbelievable, Steve. It's incredible that the wing is a blur at 1/500s. The head and throat look like metal. Beautiful shot.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Very nice Steve, very nice

Real Name
    John

Are you tempting this bird with something to make it hover so close to you? (insert smilie) Great shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Getting a little better i think, still working on it...............................

Hummer #2

Real Name
    Kori

Another awesome shot! Male hummingbirds have the nice red throat! Great capture!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Getting a little better i think ....
    Once you think you've cracked it, let us know. Can't wait to see that image if this is just you 'getting a little better'

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Once you think you've cracked it, let us know. Can't wait to see that image if this is just you 'getting a little better'
    My thoughts exactly! Well done Steve - excellent image on all accounts - the bokeh, sharpness/blur, colour, comp....
    You should submit it over here, seriously http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/myshot/

Real Name
    Terry

I've been wanting to mention this for a couple of days now.

These Hummers are off the hook, Steve. I've had this very photo in my mind in the "Photos I'd Like to Have Taken" list.

Very inspirational. And I have faith you can stop those wings. If that is what you are going for.

But I'm with Shadowman on this one! How did you possibly manage to get within eight feet of these critters? They are some of the most skittish and temperamental creatures around.

Must've camoflaged yourself as a big red flower?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I've been wanting to mention this for a couple of days now.

These Hummers are off the hook, Steve. I've had this very photo in my mind in the "Photos I'd Like to Have Taken" list.

Very inspirational. And I have faith you can stop those wings. If that is what you are going for.

But I'm with Shadowman on this one! How did you possibly manage to get within eight feet of these critters? They are some of the most skittish and temperamental creatures around.

Must've camoflaged yourself as a big red flower?

I just sit on the ground ,next to the feeder i put out, 2 months ago. They are not as skittish as you think, once they get used to you being around. I've had them so close you can't focus the lens. Like this unedited / uncropped image i had to throw in the garbage can because i missed the focus. I would love to have this one back.............................

Hummer #2

All you have to do is spend some time around the feeder and they will come close. If not you need a ground blind.

Real Name
    Terry

A shame with that one, Steve.

The wing and tail feather positions are magnificent.

I don't get the chance to hang out with my Hummers much. We have 3 or 4 feeders out, but they mostly just pass through twice a year on their migrations. This year I have only seen one so far, but I'm not always home either. They have a hierarchy for the feeders. The dominant one will spend as much time chasing off the others as it will actually feeding. Kind of comical to watch. But, one year I was actually lucky enough to locate a nest. About the size of a smallish teacup, quite deep for its size, and of a very tight construction.

On the upside, however, I have the opportunity to take lots of photos of the ants that will eventually take the feeders by seige!

Wishing for a nice macro!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

This number 2 fellow - the top one - is just the berries. I don't think I've ever seen a better hummingbird image. Full stop.

Real Name
    John

I live near Niagara Falls National Park and it seems that the park animals have lost their fear of human beings, even though we have been warned against feeding them, and you can sometimes get very close shots of some animals.

I just sit on the ground ,next to the feeder i put out, 2 months ago. They are not as skittish as you think, once they get used to you being around. I've had them so close you can't focus the lens. Like this unedited / uncropped image i had to throw in the garbage can because i missed the focus. I would love to have this one back.............................

Hummer #2

All you have to do is spend some time around the feeder and they will come close. If not you need a ground blind.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Very nice shot. I know from experience how hard they are to get.

Chuck