Thread: SS Dickie Sunrise

Real Name
    Edwin

SS Dickie Sunrise

I took these two images yesterday morning at Caloundra, of an old rusted out cargo ship called The SS Dickie.

20100510_4562_3_4_adjust.jpg

20100510_4553_4_5_adjust.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 12th June 2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add images inline

Real Name
    David

Re: SS Dickie Sunrise

Hi Edwin - I like the sea flow in both shots and the general composition. With the second shot, I might have cropped out the top of the sky to give it less prominence and to set the horizon on a third. You would end up with a roughly 2:1 format and that might be interesting. Also, what software was used? You've got a good natural feel to the shots.

Anyway - just a couple of ideas.

David

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Some good hrd work there, Edwin. Looks very natural. I especially like the first (left) image as it gives me a feeling of standing in the ship, rather than back from it.

Kit.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Edwin,

I agree with both David suggestion on #2's horizon and Kit's view on why #1 works so well.

Good compositions, because viewed separately; i.e. sunset OR shipwreck, niether would be very good, but you've made them work together really well.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Edwin

Thanks for your comments fellas, it's always good to see my images from someone elses perspective.
    I agree with you, when you say the second one would look better if I were to crop out some sky. As per usual, the software used to edit these images was Photomatix Pro. I have also just recently purchased the full frame Canon 5D Mk 2, with which I took these two images. I've cropped the top out of that first image as you've suggested & have resubmitted it & you're right it does look much, much better. Many thanks again for your helpful critique.
    Cheers........Edwin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Edwin Harvey; 12th June 2010 at 06:25 PM.