under the bridge

took this shot yesterday...
    CC are always welcome...

under the bridge

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: under the bridge

Hi James,

It is a good picture, but I don't, given the separation, really understand the title, and in fact the picture would have had far more impact had the bridge not been there.

S/he looks a bit scary; were you in 'danger' getting this shot, or is it a placid creature caught in the act of being inquisitive?

Only minor thing is that compositionally, it is looking out of shot to the nearest edge and custom states that a capture when it was looking to your left might have been better. But that's easy for me to say, I wasn't there

Cheers,

Interesting shot, its a strange combination (the animal and bridge). Remember to always remove any unwanted items from the photo, for example in this shot the power lines. If an item does not add to the shot, it will take away from it.

Real Name
    David

Hi James - I agree with Dave that the beast looks a bit scary. In terms of composition I'm not so worried that it's looking to the right. I think that adds a bit of tension. I might have done two things in post-processing. First, I would have cropped a little off the LHS to put the bullock (?) slightly more on a vertical third. Second, I would have tried to bring out more detail in the bullock. For example, duplicate the layer and blend via Screen, then use a soft and large eraser brush to remove all of the top layer except the bullock. Finally adjust opacity to give what appears best. Anyway, these are just ideas.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    James Yu

Thanks. I like to push myself to get interesting photo. This not a bull. The local name is "carabao" he not that dangerous, he help the farmer plow the field. Normally, they are silent and docile, but they will give a trembling snort if they are surprised.

Since the carabao has no sweat glands, it cools itself by lying in a waterhole or mud during the heat of the day. Mud, caked on to its body, also protects it from bothersome insects.

The carabao eats grass and other vegetation, feeding mainly in the cool of the mornings and evenings. In some places of the world the carabao is a source of milk just like the cow, or it may be slaughtered for its hide and its meat.