Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: From the garden

From the garden

All shot within the last 24 hours. The last one is a real tart! C&C welcome.

Large daisy
    From the garden

Osteospurmum
    From the garden

Chive
    From the garden

Clematis
    From the garden

Real Name
    Steve

Re: From the garden

Hi Rob - very nice!

Technique seems spot on for all. My favorite would be #2. The gray background compliments the subject very well. The only imperfection would be the one petal at 2 o'clock - hardly your fault though.

Number 4 is nice, but a bit busy I think - subjective.

Number 1 is a nice composition and the bokeh is very pleasing - my second favorite.

Number 3 loses some punch with the light background IMO.

Hard to find fault with any of these. Wonderful work.
    May I ask what lens you are using?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sleist View Post
    May I ask what lens you are using?
    Sigma 105mm macro. Shots #1 and #2 and #4 were done out in the garden. Shot #3 was done indoors. The last two were stacked using Helicon (about 5 manually focussed shots each). I was lucky with the last one as there was no wind this morning.

EXIF

#1 EXIF
    #2 EXIF
    #3 EXIF
    #4 EXIF

Real Name
    Jim

I like them all,but the Clematis is superb!Wonderful detail and colours.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Sigma 105mm macro. Shots #1 and #2 and #4 were done out in the garden. Shot #3 was done indoors. The last two were stacked using Helicon (about 5 manually focussed shots each). I was lucky with the last one as there was no wind this morning.
    I've been researching macro lenses recently. Nice to see such nice results from the Sigma. I just picked up the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and am very pleased with it. The focus stacking came out very nicely.

Real Name
    Chriss Goyenechea

I want #2 framed and hang on my wall!

Real Name
    Rick

Beautiful, Rob. I like #1 the best: the green background, with really nice bokeh, makes a perfect backdrop. The white petals just jump out of the frame.

Cheers,
    Rick

Thank you, Jim, Steve, Chriss, and Rick, Just to prove it can be done on the cheap, without the flash camera and macro lens.... I shot this 30 mins ago using an old FujiFinepix S9500 bridge camera - about £300. OK, it was bit noisier than the 50D, but it scrubbed up well with Neat Image noise reduction.

From the garden

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Great shots, Rob. Very impressive. Osteospurmum, gives a illusion, when scrolled up & down again and again..

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

You may well have done it on purpose, knowing your liking for highly processed/contrasted images, but there isn't a lot of textural detail going on on the white petals in the first two. They do look superbly clean, though. Love the "floating flower" effect that the shallow dof gives. That chive is great - the slight leftward lean to the frame is lovely.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Osteospurmum, gives a illusion, when scrolled up & down again and again..
    Do you mean that flittery-fluttery thing? Almost like the petals are waving to us all.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Uhhh... Flittery-Fluttery, Yes

Real Name
    Wendy

All exceptional as always. My vote is for the Chive. I love the Daisy and I especially love the Osteospurmum (does that one have a nick name? I want to get some) but there is something about flowers without stems that does not look right to me. The last one is also amazing for the detail, but looks creepy crawly to me - like a spider. Great photo but does not evoke the usual nice feeling that I get from floral shots.

The chive has that nice soft detailed look that I love. I think it has a lot to do with the colours and the background.

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    All exceptional as always. My vote is for the Chive. I love the Daisy and I especially love the Osteospurmum (does that one have a nick name? I want to get some) but there is something about flowers without stems that does not look right to me. The last one is also amazing for the detail, but looks creepy crawly to me - like a spider. Great photo but does not evoke the usual nice feeling that I get from floral shots.

The chive has that nice soft detailed look that I love. I think it has a lot to do with the colours and the background.

Wendy
    Thank you, Wendy. The Osteospurmum has a common name of 'African Daisy'. I agree that the last one is a bit creepy!

Excellent detail here. Number one is definitely one of those "reach out and touch" kind of shots.