Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Waterfall on The McCloud River

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Waterfall on The McCloud River

I returned to the Middle Falls on the McCloud River to try for a shot during high water on a stormy day. I have sunny day shots of the falls but was looking for something different. I took pictures while they guys I was with did some fishing. I got my shots and the guys were kind to the fish.

The first two shots are HDR with ND filter...the third shot is processed for a painterly look. (I know it drives some photographers nuts but I can't help myself).

Chuck

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Waterfall on The McCloud River

All 3 are great shots but I like the first one the most. Its got the clouds, the trees and the waterfall all in one shot. Did you do HDR?

Real Name
    David

These are neat shots Chuck, particularly the first one. That type of scene seems to lend itself to that type of HDR treatment. My only slight niggle is that all the trees seem to be leaning inward. I wonder if a modest amount of perspective correction might help.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Chuck

What I like about, particularly 1 & 2, is the shutter speed you have used. The water doesn't look like fluffy cotton-wool. It looks like water pouring over a waterfall. Out of interest, what speed was it? Couldn't see anything in EXIF data.

Real Name
    John

Very nice without being overdone with HDR?

I like them a lot. Obviously there is some HDR going on here.
    Last one looks like a painting.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chuck,

I like #1 and #3 best, but they're all good.

I do agree with the comment about leaning trees, in #1 especially.
    I would also add my own issue that in #1, the scene is illuminated by the sky and it looks like the sun is in shot behind the clouds, yet the sky and clouds are largely, due to HDR tone mapping, a lot dimmer than the falls, it just doesn't 'add up' to me, sorry.

#2 I find the foreground trunk on left distracting

#3 looks the nicest of the bunch as I find that effect doesn't drives me nuts

Cheers,

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions....all appreciated. For Donald, the images are HDR combining three separate shots. The images on the first one were at the following shutter speeds: 1/15, 1/60 and 1/4. The second one had similar speeds. I agree that if one slows the water down too much it begins to look too much like a curtain....that effect works well in some shots but I wanted to show the rough an tumble of the water but I didn't want to freeze it.

Because I was quite close to the waterfall I was fighting a mist that was blowing over me and the camera. I was shooting at the wide end of my 24-105 lens so I also had to deal with vignetting from the ND filter (which I love). The wide angle did make the trees lean in and I haven't decided if I want to "fix" it or not. It seems to add expanse...or something that I like.

Dave, thanks for the comment on the painterly version. I really like that effect on some images.

Chuck

Real Name
    Rick

Wonderful shots, Chuck. I think #1 looks naturally painterly: makes me think of Homer Winslow, with the sweeping verticals and troubled sky.

Cheers,
    Rick