Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tripod Question - pan/tilt head

Real Name
    Tommy

Tripod Question - pan/tilt head

Hi There,

I managed to pick up a Manfrotto 714SHB travel tripod off Ebay for £20 and am very happy with it - it's compact and light enough to fit onto my small rucksack.

However, I want to be able to pan the camera without tilting it - something that can't be done with the ball-head that is on it. As the ball-head is fixed on the 714SHB I have read that you cannot change it, but I was wondering if there were heads that screw onto this kind of tripod (in the same place that the camera screws on) that would afford me a bit more flexibility. I would also like one with a quick-release mechanism if possible.

If not, then I guess I will have to get a more sophisticated tripod at a later date.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Tripod Question

yes, try here http://www.manfrotto.com/ or go to your local camera store

the update tripod for the 714SHB is Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod
    Last edited by GregWFSr; 8th June 2010 at 02:59 AM.

This is a possible solution, although I can't find Manfrotto 's equivalent of the following products. Essentially, it is a ball head with a rotating base above it where you mount the camera/lens.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/PCL1.gif
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 8th June 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregWFSr View Post
    the update tripod for the 714SHB is Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod
    I have the 055XPROB. The head I bought for it is the 804RC2, which allows you to pan without tilting. The control handle at the bottom is the one that allows panning. It is quite heavy though at 700g (1lb 9 oz) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-80...5980411&sr=8-1 It has a quick-release plate, so you can remove the camera within seconds.

Real Name
    Tommy

Many thanks for your replies.

@ Caregwen - So does the 804RC2 simply attach to the tripod in the same way the camera does?
    I.e. does it have a screw hole in it like the underside of a camera?

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    Many thanks for your replies.

@ Caregwen - So does the 804RC2 simply attach to the tripod in the same way the camera does?
    I.e. does it have a screw hole in it like the underside of a camera?
    Not quite. The tripod top has a male screw (see your shot above) that is larger than the standard camera base screw. Your tripod head screws onto that and is held firm by tightening it (by turning). You then screw the adaptor plate (should come with the head) onto the camera, and insert the plate (now fitted with camera) onto the quick release plate fitting of the head. All you need to buy is the head. You don't need anything else. I'd have a look around to see what other heads there are. Probably best to go to a camera store for this one - you want to see how it handles, and weight is an issue.

Real Name
    Tommy

OK excellent. Thanks a lot :-)

Real Name
    Peter

I may be talking out of turn here but, if the thread of the screw shown in your picture connects directly to your camera then you may have a problem connecting to the head Rob suggests. I believe the thread size for the camera is 1/4" whereas the thread on the bottom of the 804RC2 head is 3/8". If I'm wrong then accept my applogise for butting in.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    I may be talking out of turn here but, if the thread of the screw shown in your picture connects directly to your camera then you may have a problem connecting to the head Rob suggests. I believe the thread size for the camera is 1/4" whereas the thread on the bottom of the 804RC2 head is 3/8". If I'm wrong then accept my applogise for butting in.

Peter
    I doubt that it connects to his camera. he needs a head on the tripod as it's shown. You are right about the sizes. I think the tripod-to-head screw is thicker to take the weight loading. The camera-to-plate screw is 1/4" as it doesn't need to be so strong.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    As the ball-head is fixed on the 714SHB I have read that you cannot change it, but I was wondering if there were heads that screw onto this kind of tripod (in the same place that the camera screws on) that would afford me a bit more flexibility. I would also like one with a quick-release mechanism if possible.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    I took it from the above that the head was already on the tripod and fixed so that what was required was an additional head to fix to the existing non-removeable one. Hence my warning about thread size.

I took it from the above that the head was already on the tripod and fixed so that what was required was an additional head to fix to the existing non-removeable one. Hence my warning about thread size.
    Sorry, my mistake. I see now. I assume that the ball head doesn't unscrew from the tripod allowing you to replace it with a different head? I think putting a heavier head on it (even if that's possible) might make it top heavy. After all, it's a compact tripod. It always seems to be a trade-off with tripods - you want every feature under the sun, but you want it light and compact for hiking.

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Tommy;

You might look at panorama attachments: these are intended to keep the optical center of the lens over a pivot point, but also serve to pan the camera. And they're intended to go on top of a tripod head. I haven't used any, so I can't recommend one, but it may be something to check out.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Tommy

Peter
    Thanks Peter you are correct here. The thread on the top of the tripod in the picture does indeed attach directly to my camera thereby creating my problem.

What I wanted was some sort of universal tripod head that could be fitted to it allowing me to pan without tilting. At present I unscrew the knob at the bottom of the centre section which releases the grip on the ball giving complete loosening of the ball attachment. The ball head iteself does not unscrew from the attachment.

I will look into what Rick55 said about panorama attachments (Thanks Rick!) however if there is something else (preferably with a quick release camera attachment) that will fix my problem then I would love to know about it!

Otherwise I make do with this as a lightweight compact tri-pod and treat myself to something more sophisticated in the future!

Thanks to everyone for your input!