Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Show me your best utilization of an ND filter in nature or landscape.

Show me your best utilization of an ND filter in nature or landscape.

I am in the market for a Singh Ray Vari-ND or Vari-N-Duo. Thought I would invite some of you wonderful photographers to show me what an ND can do. I know they help with waterfalls and blur moving water, etc.. I have the basic newbie grasp on it. What I am looking for is examples of using said filter in various conditions. My primary interest is in landscape/nature so any images along these lines would be of great interest. However, beggers can't be choosers and I would love to see any images where an ND was used. If it doesn't offend anyone, tell me what degree of ND was used. Thanks for any images you may choose to share.

-Dan

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Show me your best utilization of an ND filter in nature or landscape.

I've got a few of them, so I just picked one of the more recent ...

16 Minute exposure; degree of ND required = "unknown" (with the Vari-ND you just set the aperture, shutterspeed, and ISO you want and then just twist the filter to get the exposure right - the actual level of attenuation doesn't really matter).

(Click for larger version) (I have a 66 x 22" print of it on one of my walls)

Last edited by Colin Southern; 6th June 2010 at 10:21 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Show me your best utilization of an ND filter in nature or landscape.

It is hard to find any since details don't end up in exif however I found this which although isn't a brilliant example of photography has a Hard GND 8 Cokin filter about -45 degrees because of the sun directly to the right just out of shot, and it is an HDR of three images because of the mirror.