Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Aperture 3 Software

Real Name
    Kay

Aperture 3 Software

Just wondering if any apple users have this software?
    We have a pc up for replacement and the mac is being considered. Does anyone use aperture to fully process & edit canon CR2 raw files or is the step involving the DNG conversion and then across into photoshop still required?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Aperture 3 Software

Hi Kay,

I can't fully answer the question, but just wanted to make a quick point that you don't HAVE to convert to DNG to open in the latest versions of Photoshop, although I personally think it's a great idea (several advantages). Not sure if Aperture can open a DNG file, but you can of course get Photoshop for the Mac.

Real Name
    Kay

Thanks Colin - my old version of photoshop I still have to do the DNG conversion, but my RAW processing is going heaps better since you guys put me onto the DNG.
    I'm sure the best option if we go the mac path would be photoshop for mac, rather than aperture - but I guess the price difference was what prompted my question...
    but the 'false economy' of going cheaper then being unhappy that the tools I've now been using aren't there is the possibility.
    The teenager downstairs (aka Miss daughter Georgie) has a macbook, so I might see if there is a trial download of aperture that maybe I could have a play with.
    Also maybe now that CS5 is here, maybe CS4 will get cheaper?....or is that wishful thinking?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Also maybe now that CS5 is here, maybe CS4 will get cheaper?....or is that wishful thinking?
    Possibly - hard to know what they'll do.

Of course a Mac + aperture is probably a similar price to a PC with CS5!

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Kay, as an Aperture user I could tell you that you can't convert to DNG, you would be able either to choose TIFF or PDS. The only think I would recommend you when you buy a Mac, if you do it, is to buy something in the middle range, not the low end for PP.