Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My favorite stream (and waterfalls too)

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

My favorite stream (and waterfalls too)

Sever do Vouga, Portugal:

Sorry for the watermarks but some of my photos have been stolen again and I am not willing to take any further risks...

Re: My favorite stream (and waterfalls too)

Very nice shots, Rui. A very idyllic scene. I think the highlights look a little blown in the stream of water in #1 and #2. I personally like the slow-motion water effect, and I do a lot myself. But one of the problems I find is there's always an area of water that is blown out, normally where the concentration of water is greatest. I find, by reducing the exposure selectively using the adjustment brush at the RAW stage on the area in question, lessens the blow-out in Photoshop. This has the advantage of not altering the exposure in the rest of the shot. Here's one of mine, before adjustment and after. The difference between was achieved by just using the RAW adjustment brush.

My favorite stream (and waterfalls too)My favorite stream (and waterfalls too)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Rui

I note what Rob says about blown highlights.

You have created a wonderful harmony and balance of colour and tone. Although we are looking at water cascading down a hillside, they are, in fact, a very calm and peaceful images - helped by the amount of softening you have given the water.

I find the trees in the foreground of #2 and #3 and bit too dominant and for that reason think that #1 is the most pleasing of the three.

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Very nice shots, Rui. A very idyllic scene. I think the highlights look a little blown in the stream of water in #1 and #2. I personally like the slow-motion water effect, and I do a lot myself. But one of the problems I find is there's always an area of water that is blown out, normally where the concentration of water is greatest. I find, by reducing the exposure selectively using the adjustment brush at the RAW stage on the area in question, lessens the blow-out in Photoshop. This has the advantage of not altering the exposure in the rest of the shot. Here's one of mine, before adjustment and after. The difference between was achieved by just using the RAW adjustment brush.
    Thanks for your comment and suggestion. Actually, your image to the right presents a better overall exposure and no blow-out parts at all!
    Now, I believe that the reason that lead some spots of my pictures to be a bit blown out resides on the tools I use to do my pp. I use Capture NX to do RAW adjustments.. NX has got a checking box where one can check whether and where any part of the image is under or overexposed. When you check that box, the image disappears but blacks and blown-out spots are still visible (painted in white).
    In these images, NX didnīt warn me about that and therefore I assumed that everything was OK. However, now I am tempted to check it again later at home.
    Again, many thanks!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th June 2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Real Name
    Rui Lopes

Thanks, Donald.
    #1 is also my favorite!
    Regards.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Lopes View Post
    Sorry for the watermarks but some of my photos have been stolen again and I am not willing to take any further risks...
    It's happened to me too. By my way of thinking though, (a) does it take any money out of our pockets when it happens? and (b) Watermarks are easily removed in Photoshop, so it doesn't stop them being stolen, and (c) personally, I don't see the logic in ruining an image 100% of the time to try and prevent an occasional theft.