Thread: Two views of a dahlia

Real Name
    Dan

Two views of a dahlia

In a pot on our back deck. They are quite remarkable flowers, but I am not entirely satisfied with either of these. C&C welcome of course.

For those interested in such things: both are stacks, I think 14 images. I stacked in Zerene, using both DMap to preserve color and texture and PMax because it creates less severe halos from parallax. then retouched from PMax to DMap.

Two views of a dahlia

Two views of a dahlia

Real Name
    John

Re: Two views of a dahlia

Nice closeups.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Between the two I like #2 better, maybe because I am practicing more on macro shots than anything but ignorant on stacking. I like the texture on both but the centre of the 2nd shot looks "crunchy"? I do not know the right word to put here but it reminds me of eating pomegranate (sp?) although it is a different colour here.

Real Name
    John

You have got both images nicely in focus throughout the focal range. Did you use a rail to change the focal plane, or did you change it by lens focussing? I have been experimenting with both (although, at present, I slide the camera against a ruler rather than use a rail).

John

Real Name
    Dan

John,

By changing focus with the lens. At this level of magnification, there is no reason to use a rail. If you look on my site, you will see scores of stacked macros, many at considerably higher levels of magnification than this. I didn't use a rail for focusing with any of them, although I do have a rail.

The main advantage of a rail is that it gives you known steps between shots, because a good rail will have a specific thread pitch that gives you a known change in distance per revolution. That precision is not needed for this sort of work. Assuming you get a similar number of images to stack, you will get the same results either way.

I do own a high-quality rail, but I use it only to help me get the camera positioned properly to begin with. For example, suppose I set up a flower on my table and set up the camera on a tripod, only to find that the working distance is 2 cm too large to get me the magnification I want. If I move the tripod or the flower, I will almost always mess up the framing and have to start again. I started using a rail last year to lessen that problem. I also use a geared head for that work--a huge and heavy head that I wouldn't want to lug around but that gives me much more precision in getting the framing I want. For outdoors work, like these photos, I just use a lightweight ball head and no rail, and make do with having to move the tripod around. I'll post a shot of my indoor rig.

Dan

Two views of a dahlia

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the information. I have been wondering about a rail, but one problem is that it will raise the camera unnecessarily when trying to photograph flowers or fungi at ground level. A problem with focussing the lens is that I would like to use a ringflash or ring light, which would turn with the lens focussing. I have not tried this yet. I would like to get it sussed before the autumn fungus season.

John

Real Name
    Dan

John,

this is what I do for fungi and the like:

Two views of a dahlia

I think it would accommodate a rail without a problem.

I don't use a ring flash. I use a diffused single flash. However, the front element and filter ring/hood clip on my macro lenses do not rotate when focus is changed, so if the ring light is attached to them, it should be fine.

Dan

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Lovely colors

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice images with lovely colors Dan if I had to choose I would prefer #2.