Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 7D Comments

Real Name
    MIKE

Canon 7D Comments

Hi Folks,

I would be interested in hearing any pros and cons on the Canon 7D

I have recently purchased the camera having upgraded from the Canon 400D, and would welcome the advice and experience of other users to help me make best use of my new camera.

Samples of results would also be welcomed.

Best wishes to all in the Community.

Mike Webster

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon 7D Comments

Quote Originally Posted by MiKe Webster View Post
    I would be interested in hearing any pros and cons on the Canon 7D
    Hi Mike,

Sorry, but I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what you're asking for; I would have thought the "pros & cons" would be fairly well defined by the specifications; other that that, like most other modern cameras, it's essentially just a box at the end of a lens that lets the light in. Shots from a 7D (on the web anyway) aren't going to look any different to shots from any other camera, with all other things being equal.

I'm not trying to "put it down" at all - I'm sure it's a great camera - but at the end of the day it plays a relatively minor role in a great photograph compared to the photographers composition - his skill in controlling lighting - his skill in post-processing - and even lens selection.

Real Name
    Steve

Well I've just purchased a 50D and I would think the pixel density to be the only negative aspect, also with the 7D. Unlike most dslr's the camera now has a higher resolution than most lenses.

With higher resolution comes greater noise and the 50D has resolution 2200 LW/PH same as the 5D but with greater pixel density. My 10D is 1335 LW/PH the higher the number the greater the resolution, but although I have much better metering in the 50D I find it harder to get a shot in exposure because I'm convinced it has a lower ev span than the 10D. This might also be true of the 7D although that is a professional camera.

One way to make an image look sharp is to blur some bits and the difference seems to make it pop, however since the 7D will have resolution greater than most lenses this means differences at the edges might be more pronounced, apart from that I can't think of anything. cheers.
    Last edited by arith; 31st May 2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: correction 18-55mm lens is not sharp or good

When asked a similar question on a wildlife site photo section the 7D users were convinced that the 7D produces far sharper images than a 50D when autofocus is used. They also seem to think that noise is less of a problem with the 7D. http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/fo...-you-help.html

But how much of any AF problems were caused by the lenses being used isn't clear and scientific side by side testing wasn't used.

In general, 7D users on this site insist that it is 'the greatest thing since sliced bread' but once again there hasn't been any independent testing here.

When the 7D was announced I posted a link on that site regarding a review of the camera, here are the many replies http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/fo...-canon-7d.html

I'm not sure if this proves anything one way or the other, Mike, but you may find it useful reading.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 31st May 2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: link added

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    With higher resolution comes greater noise
    Only if compared side by side with a given sensor technology. Sensor noise from a higher pixel density sensor that uses more advanced technology may well be less than that from a lower pixel density camera that uses an older technology.

I have much better metering in the 50D I find it harder to get a shot in exposure because I'm convinced it has a lower ev span than the 10D. This might also be true of the 7D although that is a professional camera.
    The Dynmic range of the 10D is 10.9 stops - the 50D has 11.4, and the 7D has 11.7

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Mike
    I am a 7D 'shooter' but I think it is hard to talk pros and cons - as it depends on what you use it for and of course with which lenses.
    An example from my night school class last night, someone with a 50D was asking me what highlight tone priority/high ISO noise reduction and other functions were for - she was planning on shooting 'friends' weddings.
    I use the 7D for sport so I turn off some of those 'features' she was asking about because in the fine print most of them adversely affect the frame rate/max burst speed.
    I also hire lenses to try them at various events on the camera....and make a wish list that I am saving for.
    The needs vs wants discussion of these lenses on the wish list carries on at our house.....
    I have been fortunate to receive graet advice from people on this site (as well as my daily dose of humour) so my advice would be to post an image in a mini comp or in a thread and ask for any critique on specifics for what you want to achieve with the camera.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Steve,

Only if compared side by side with a given sensor technology. Sensor noise from a higher pixel density sensor that uses more advanced technology may well be less than that from a lower pixel density camera that uses an older technology.

The Dynmic range of the 10D is 10.9 stops - the 50D has 11.4, and the 7D has 11.7
    Cheers Colin; must be me then.