Thread: Macbook pro retina or lenovo Z5070

Real Name
    Claudio

Macbook pro retina or lenovo Z5070

Hi all..i am first time buyer of laptop for image processing. I have never used mac before but my friend swears by it.

I have to laptops here and would like your opinion. The macbook pro retina is almsot dbl the price here in South Africa. I am lookin gfor somethinmg that will at least last me a few years and am lookin gfor a little more quality. Although the macbook pro is probaly an entry lvl of the apple laptops is it worth it?

Your help is greatly appreciated

LENOVO - Z5070 i7 CORE BLACK LAPTOP

Intel core i7-4510U
    8GB Memory
    1TB HDD + 8G SSH
    GPU 4GB Nvidia Geforce GT820M
    15.6'' HD FLAT
    WIN 8.1 EM
    1 year warranty
    Non-Back Lit Keyboard BlueTooth
    DOLBY Advanced Audio 1*USB3.0

Apple: MacBook Pro 13" Retina 128SSD

2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
    128GB PCIe-based flash storage

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Macbook pro retina or lenovo Z5070

Those aren't the only important specs - what sort of screen is on the LENOVO, I can't find any real info on the net. How is its colour accuracy, how is its viewing angles etc.

The MBP has one of the best laptop screens around and while its not perfect for editing (its designed to be ultra slim not ultra accurate) it is 'good enough' for most users.

Real Name
    Erik

I have a 2014 MBP 13" Retina that I use for photo editing. Overall, I have been very happy using the MBP, as Robin has indicated it is not perfect and if I wanted to have a Computer that was only for Photo Editing I certainly could make one, but then it would lack in other areas. Given that I use my MBP for many other things (home, work, etc) it works very well for me. I calibrate the screen monthly and have been quite happy with the results

I would advise that if you do go with MBP that you update to 16 GB of ram. At 8 GB I do find it can be a bit laggy on some photos when editing. It is manageable but I think for the small investment in a higher RAM would have been a good decision.

Good Luck

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I would agree with Robin; editing photos on a laptop is something I only do when there is no other option. Screen size is the main issue with any laptop, so I would plug my laptop into a decent screen if I were to go that route. Laptops are primarily built to be lightweight and have long battery life, and not to primarily be for editing photos. I also generally find their keyboards a bit cramped for use (I use keyboard shortcuts a lot when editing). I use a 27" screen as my main editing screen, so anything smaller is something I would rather do without... And yes, I do own a laptop.

As for a iOS versus Windows machine (I use both regularly when working with Photoshop, although I use an iMac not a MacBook), there is little difference between them and get equally good (or bad?) results from either. From a usability side, I dislike both keyboard and mouse that ship with the iMac. They look nice, but they are not something I would want to use for hours when I get into an editing session, so my Logitech keyboard and mouse are used and the Mac stuff sits in a corner (although I know many others that like them).

From your perspective let me throw a few thoughts at you:

1. I assume you are familiar with Windows; going to an MacBook means you have to learn a whole new operating system. This is why my wife did not go for an MacBook when she was in the market for a laptop last year. She used a Mac for about 2 months to try it and ended up going with a Windows machine for that reason.

2. Cost - Apple premium. These machines are priced higher than an equally equipped PC (Apple does not have any direct competitors, whereas Windows machine users have a lot of choice). You get more machine for your money with a Windows based machine. The specs of the Lenovo machine you are looking at are better that those of the MacBook.

3. Apple products certainly look nicer than the Windows based machines.

I hope this helps.

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Hello Claudio,

I'm sure someone else with a lot more knowledge and experience than I have can comment on your question with many specifics about the technical specifications of the models you are comparing, especially in respect to photography applications.

I will offer a few thoughts based on using both Apple products an Windows based PCs, having used both for a variety of purposes, including a fair amount of photography.

First, if you are considering a Mac, you should be thinking in terms of a complete switch to using the Mac OS, instead of trying to run Windows on a Mac. If you feel you need to stay with Windows, go with the Lenovo or some similar model/brand.

Second, it is common to find people like your friend who swear by Apple products. I count myself in that category and my reason is simple: Mac products work for me, reliably, consistently, and easily. My experience with Windows based products has been much choppier.

Third, I have been using Lightroom and Photoshop on my Mac (via the Adobe CC) for about a year now, and I can say they work very well for me on my Macbook Pro (13 inch, 8GB, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo).

Finally, I suspect either choice can work out for you just fine (but I am not familiar with the specific Lenovo you are looking at). Based on my experience though, a switch to a Mac is worth the extra price. That said, I will add that I think you should really consider your other uses for your computer and take those into account before jumping to a Mac. Making the move will very likely involve a number of software purchases for other uses. Apple does not have a worthy photo editor that is still in current production and their spreadsheet application (Numbers) is mediocre.

Regards,

Randy

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Claudio - I had just noticed that you had posted an identical question in two different places.

I've combined the responses and placed the combined thread in this category.

Manfred

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

1. I assume you are familiar with Windows; going to an MacBook means you have to learn a whole new operating system. This is why my wife did not go for an MacBook when she was in the market for a laptop last year. She used a Mac for about 2 months to try it and ended up going with a Windows machine for that reason.

2. Cost - Apple premium. These machines are priced higher than an equally equipped PC (Apple does not have any direct competitors, whereas Windows machine users have a lot of choice). You get more machine for your money with a Windows based machine. The specs of the Lenovo machine you are looking at are better that those of the MacBook.

3. Apple products certainly look nicer than the Windows based machines.
    ==============================================

Claudio,

I think Manfred's comments on the Mac/Windows comparison are spot on.

I will say that as far as transitioning to Mac OS from Windows is MUCH easier to do, rather than the other way around. It might sound formidable but I say it is not. That's what I think is part of the 'hook' of Apple products: they are easy to use.

As for the use of laptops, I definitely 'get it' that they are a compromise for a workstation. In fact, Manfred's comments about the iMac rekindle my interest in the desktop. I just have always thought I could not give up the portability of a laptop. I still think the same way: if I ever go to the iMac, I can't see retiring my MBP.

But that is another thought: if a desktop would work for you, I think one of the iMacs would suit your purposes just fine and would indeed be a better choice than any laptop.

-rb

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

I am in same dilemma with some different options to compare. I am bit skeptical to go for a 13 inch screen for image editing. Although higher the resolution in smaller the screen gives better quality, I would prefer atleast 15 inch screen laptop for image editing?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    I am in same dilemma with some different options to compare. I am bit skeptical to go for a 13 inch screen for image editing. Although higher the resolution in smaller the screen gives better quality, I would prefer atleast 15 inch screen laptop for image editing?
    In my view (being a bit older than some), both screens are too small for serious editing. If I were to exclusively switch to a laptop, I would only do so if I also bought an external screen and nothing smaller than a 24" one. I would also equip the setup with a full-sized external keyboard and would use the laptop screen as my secondary screen.

I find that a laptop screen (and my laptop has a "large" screen) just does not have enough real estate for all of the palettes I have open at the same time (usually around four or five) and still give me enough room for a decent sized image to work on.

Real Name
    Adrian

Not long ago I was thinking about this myself. I ended up getting the Macbook Pro 13" with Retina display. I love it. It's the best choice I made. I know a lot of older people prefer the 15" but I think that really just depends on how good your eyes are and if you need the bigger screen. The editing programs where really good I used it for a long time before getting Abode Photoshop. Mac's are easy to learn and get use too. Apple support is amazingly helpful so I suggest you get Apple Care when you buy it.

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

Hello Claudio
    regarding photo processing I fully agree with Manfred: both screens are too small (for me). I do my post-processing exclusively at home on a desktop with 32 GB memory (and even this can be at times a bit slow). I therefore use a notebook "only" for work, never for photography. An external screen (at least 24'') would be a must (for me).
    And a remark to the retina display: the glossy screen is IMHO "deadly" for post-processing, if you are not in a darkroom.
    Erwin

Real Name
    Richard

My son-in-la gave my wife a new MBP. She returned it because she thought the learning curve in the transition from PC to MAC was too steep!