Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)

Real Name
    Janis

Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)

Since I gave my 18-105 kit lens to my sister-in-law last summer (along with my D90), I haven't had anything wider than my 35 mm prime to shoot with--at least nothing I wanted to shoot with, the Nikkor 18-300 mm having proven to be a disappointment. I finally filled the yawning gap in my lens collection last month when I went out and bought the Sigma 18-35 mm 1.8 ART lens. The reviews were good, the guys at the camera store (both owners of the lens) sang its praises, and having shot with it exclusively for three days last weekend (500+ frames), I think I am falling in love.

I've only had time to process one frame so far; more to come in the next 24 hours, I hope.

Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)DSC_3215 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

As I have been shooting mainly telephoto in the last year, this is a big change for me, and it is going to take some time to learn how to turn the properties of the ART to best advantage. A worthy addition to my Project 52, I think.

And I have to say, this lens is making me very favourably disposed toward Sigma.

Real Name
    John

Re: Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)

Nicely done, nice conversion.

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, John!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am the same as you, Janis -- I am loving my Sigma lenses as I go along and compose my studies each day taking photographs with it with my D810...This is a nice scene and much as I am not an expert in B/W, the conversion here is one which I will not ask to see the original colour copy. It is simply beautiful and artsy coming from you...the addition of the guy there makes up for the human element in the shot...the composition is great!

Real Name
    Janis

Thank you, Izzie. That is high praise that I am not sure it deserves. But unlike you, I saw what I missed, and what I might have anticipated and been prepared for. As for the conversion, it was prompted by the fact that there is a pink trail marker wrapped around one of the trees on the left, and this was the easiest way to deal with it. There wasn't much to lose in the way of colour, as things are still pretty drab around here.

A very interesting photograph. The only thing I slightly wonder about is whether that heavy dark shadow line in the foreground is a little bit too distracting? By holding some card against the screen, to simulate a crop from the bottom and left side, I find that the scene appears to have more depth.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice image Janis, I would clone the shadow in the FG

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Geoff and Binnur. That shadow is bothering me, too. I will see what I can do.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Janis - I would handle that shadow with some degree of caution. There are lots of other shadows around and if it went missing, the image would likely look a bit strange. Lighten it up by all means, but don't eliminate it.

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Manfred. I've tried control points, and cloning, with middling results. Guess it's time to get the brushes out.

Real Name
    Janis

How's this?

Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)DSC_3215 - Version 4 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

Real Name
    David

Hi Janis, I like the image as is!

Real Name
    John

Hi Janis, this is well seen. I see no problems at all with the tonality, shadows or otherwise and flicking backwards and forwards between your two versions in the lightbox doesn't show up much difference if any. It's a very nice mono comp.

Surprised at your disappointment with the 18-300mm Nikkor. It was a stretched version of the 18-200mm which is my carry on lens of choice for my D7100 and I love it. For a zoom, its sharp. I have never owned the 18-300 version but all of the reviews seemed to suggest that the performance of the two were on a par. Might be down to the particular copy.

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, David and John.

As regards the 18-300 mm, John, I think maybe they improved upon the first version, which is what I have. I know they made it lighter. It really wasn't as good on the wide end as my 18-105 mm kit lens, and sharpness above 200 mm was just less than what I was looking for. At some focal lengths in between though, it was really very nice, and the compression imparted a quality that I liked quite a lot, which is one of the reasons I hung on to it.

Real Name
    Janis

This is another image shot with the Sigma that I just processed last night. It is unsharpened. If I were to sharpen, I think I would selectively sharpen the in-focus bits, and then reduce the structure on the out-of-focus bits, to soften them even more. Tell me if you think that is a good strategy. I have not done much selective sharpening and am just learning the in-and-outs of the Nik sharpening tools. Any other C&C is most welcome.

Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)Stange Geometry by onesun1moon, on Flickr

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/200, 31 mm
    Last edited by purplehaze; 16th April 2015 at 12:32 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Very nice Janis, I prefer the original (1st image in this post)

It's always good to hear that someone has purchased a bit of kit and so pleased with it.

Real Name
    Janis

Thanks, Grahame. I'm thinking I may tackle that one again; I think maybe I can do a better job of translating the feel of the light falling in the deeper part of the woods (nearer the viewer).

As to the lens, I think I appreciate it all the more for having been deprived of a wide-angle for so long. There is something to be said for delayed gratification.

Real Name
    Janis

Throwing up some more shots taken with the new lens.

An image related by subject to the one immediately above:

Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)DSC_3254 - Version 2 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

ISO 100, f/11, 1/125, 19 mm

Another shot from the same pier. (This is the south end of Lake Winnipeg, on Easter Sunday.)

Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)DSC_3339 - Version 2 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

ISO 100, f/14, 1/160, 18 mm

A shot from the beach, on the way to the pier.

Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)Spring Day on Clubhouse Beach by onesun1moon, on Flickr

ISO 100, f11, 1/320, 35 mm

Real Name
    Binnur

I find the revised version better Janis

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    How's this?

Project 52, 2nd Quarter by Janis (purplehaze)DSC_3215 - Version 4 by onesun1moon, on Flickr

Real Name
    Binnur

I like the B&W beach shot very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast