Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Water, Water Everywhere

Water, Water Everywhere

It is has been very hot here for the last couple of days. Warmer than the south of France (apparently). Who says its grim oop North. So, I went for a cool theme with these images;

Water, Water Everywhere

Water, Water Everywhere

Water, Water Everywhere

Water, Water Everywhere

Water, Water Everywhere

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Water, Water Everywhere

2, 3 & 5 in that order get my vote. #4 has a nice sense of movement and # 1 looks the iceiest to me.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

You remain on top of the game, sir. My first look had me disagreeing with Wendy's assessment. But then, on looking at them in the lightbox, I found that I totally agreed. They've got to have commercial potential, surely.

Real Name
    António Correia

Excellent images Steve. All very nice.

Real Name
    Steve

Great photos! The shades of blue are great. Nice work.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Wow, mate - some beauties there. #1 looks like some giant sea wave just about to surge out of the monitor and wash across the keyboard. A real stunner. Prepared to show and tell?

Real Name
    Rick

Excellent shots, Steve. I like #1 and #4 best. As Kit says, #1 really evokes the ocean. And #4 has a so many different complex actions blending together: the big wave, a series of interlocking waves, and some ripples from splashes. It might be worth cleaning some of the random stuff in the upper right quadrant: it's so highlighted by the backlight that it's a little distracting. Wonderful anyway.

Cheers,
    Rick

Thank you all for the positive comments. As usual I had the idea firmly visualised in my head but I was not to sure about the execution.

Wow, mate - some beauties there. #1 looks like some giant sea wave just about to surge out of the monitor and wash across the keyboard. A real stunner. Prepared to show and tell?
    OK. I used the kids inflatable paddling pool after my wife had cleaned it out and refilled it in anticipation for another hot day. Time was around 9 in the evening so the light was going fast. I toyed with using a CPL but there was no bright light and I wanted to capture the brightness of the water.

Camera was set to manual, f/8 and max flash sync speed (/250th sec). Speed light was mounted on the camera with the bottom of an old milk carton to diffuse the light (eat your heart out Mr Fong? Wong? Kong?). I have self adhesive velcro stuck to strategic points around the flash head so that I can mount my expensive hi-tech lighting modifiers.(queue violins). I used my knee to apply pressure to the outside of the pool to create the wave.

PP was adjustment of levels and curves applied with a builders trowel. USM applied with a little more delicacy.

It might be worth cleaning some of the random stuff in the upper right quadrant: it's so highlighted by the backlight that it's a little distracting
    Well spotted Rick. Same goes for the fourth image to a lesser extent. It helps a great deal to have others look over your work with a critical eye

Steve

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Thanks for the detailed reply, Steve. Excellent idea, the kids' pool. I find trowels quite handy from time to time, too. I think the threat frightens the life into the images.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post

OK. I used the kids inflatable paddling pool after my wife had cleaned it out and refilled it in anticipation for another hot day. Time was around 9 in the evening so the light was going fast. I toyed with using a CPL but there was no bright light and I wanted to capture the brightness of the water.

Camera was set to manual, f/8 and max flash sync speed (/250th sec). Speed light was mounted on the camera with the bottom of an old milk carton to diffuse the light (eat your heart out Mr Fong? Wong? Kong?). I have self adhesive velcro stuck to strategic points around the flash head so that I can mount my expensive hi-tech lighting modifiers.(queue violins). I used my knee to apply pressure to the outside of the pool to create the wave.
    You've upheld your reputation for creativity and (yes ) execution!!

Cheers,
    Rick

OK. I used the kids inflatable paddling pool after my wife had cleaned it out...
    Don't you just love that? Cue, flash-back to 1972, Germain Greer, bra-burning, talk of revolution in the air... fast-forward 2010, Warrington...

Excellent shots, Steve. I love this sort of stuff, that shows something ordinary in an unusual way.

Thanks Rob...I had a couple more ideas but the weather has turned a little cooler and the pool was deflated when I got home (story of my life!)

Don't you just love that? Cue, flash-back to 1972, Germain Greer, bra-burning, talk of revolution in the air... fast-forward 2010, Warrington...
    1972...we were still sending women and ponies down th' pit then. It was 1981 before we allowed them in pubs. Before that they waited on t' step whit whippet. Even when admitted they had a room (snug) to themselves where they would discuss dolly tubs and liberty bodices over a quite Babycham (Cherry-B for the posh wire drawers wives) Power dressing was a pinny, hair net and curlers . Shoulder pads were something you wore when carting wire bales to the galvanising shop. Greers was a tripe shop in Wigan and until the advent of IKEA a fondou set was a self perm sported by women of questionable morals.

My Grandmother in her service uniform circa 1972....kidding...or am I. Notice the high class Lancashire accommodation in the background

Water, Water Everywhere

And in Sunday best....

Water, Water Everywhere

1972...we were still sending women and ponies down th' pit then. It was 1981 before we allowed them in pubs. Before that they waited on t' step whit whippet. Even when admitted they had a room (snug) to themselves where they would discuss dolly tubs and liberty bodices over a quite Babycham (Cherry-B for the posh wire drawers wives) Power dressing was a pinny, hair net and curlers . Shoulder pads were something you wore when carting wire bales to the galvanising shop. Greers was a tripe shop in Wigan and until the advent of IKEA a fondou set was a self perm sported by women of questionable morals.

My Grandmother in her service uniform circa 1972....kidding...or am I. Notice the high class Lancashire accommodation in the background

Water, Water Everywhere

And in Sunday best....
    E' lad, thowse a daft booger! and thee downt know thee were lucky to av'e ut glass in 'ouse winders...

(I can't keep this up)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

You had windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    You had windows?
    No, a MAC.