Thread: The Sagrada Familia

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

The Sagrada Familia

Whilst travelling around Spain, another of our stops was Barcelona and specifically to see The Sagrada Familia. Last time we went was nine years ago and we were blown away by the outside whilst the inside was a complete building site. This time, it was exactly the opposite. Added to the fact that there was no access to the towers due to high winds, we spent a happy hour or so marvelling inside.

Here is a small selection

It was the beautiful light and all the little details which fill the place that left me speechless...

The Sagrada Familia

The Sagrada Familia

The Sagrada Familia

The Sagrada Familia

The Sagrada Familia

The Sagrada Familia

The Sagrada Familia

If you haven't been and get the chance - don't miss it.

Real Name
    John

Re: The Sagrada Familia

Nice efforts, I thought I was looking at the interior of a cave with the first image. The composition in images 2 and 3 is so unsettling that it really enhances the height effect. Images 5 and 6 have very dramatic effect. Was this a guided tour? If so, did the guide explain the circular windows? Are those rose windows, royal crests, or representative of some other symbolism? I checked the website for the cathedral and these objects were probably the only thing not mentioned.

Real Name
    John

Kay, we were there 4 years ago and it was still a building site then. The change is remarkable. Nice shots.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very interesting and nice images, my fav is #5

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

All are very informative but #5 and #7 are especially beautiful. Well done!

What a struggle with exposure! Very nicely done.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I love all of it...I have not seen one before...very interesting shots...

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Kaye we were there last year and found the same thing with the construction work. After waiting in a queue for tickets for about an hour, we got inside and were not dis-appointed, it's quite remarkable. You've captured the atmosphere very well I think.

Dave

Real Name
    James Edwards

Kaye,
    I was there four years ago... It is the only building I have encountered which has reduced me to tears! I rate it a wonder of our age.

The internal construction meant that much of the nave was obscured by scaffolding. Things have obviously moved on. Your shots bring back the same feelings I had when I visited.
    Nos 1 & 4 are particularly evocative. Thank you for posting
    James

Real Name
    Janis

Great shots, Kaye! I was there 10 or 15 years ago and the interior was not so beautifully lit. Barcelona is great city, isn't it? I highly recommend the book Barcelona by Robert Hughes; I felt it really captured the flavour of the city and it is a treasured souvenir, along with my books on Gaudi and the Sagrada Familia.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 4th April 2015 at 12:07 AM.

Real Name
    David

Wonderful captures Kaye, what a beautiful place

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice efforts, I thought I was looking at the interior of a cave with the first image. The composition in images 2 and 3 is so unsettling that it really enhances the height effect. Images 5 and 6 have very dramatic effect. Was this a guided tour? If so, did the guide explain the circular windows? Are those rose windows, royal crests, or representative of some other symbolism? I checked the website for the cathedral and these objects were probably the only thing not mentioned.
    John, it wasn't a guided tour so I too have little idea about history/thinking/symbolism of the windows. Also our guidebook is 9 years' old (we were cheapskates and didn't buy one this time) so I have little information about the interior as it was so unfinished then. However it does say that the windows are all designed by one person who has been left to 'interpret' in keeping with Gaudi's ideas. Gaudi was a deeply religious man and I know some of the 'words' are Catalan forms of religious praise/Biblical quotes. All of the windows and artificial lights are designed so that you can't tell whether they are naturally or artificially lit, but I believe in the first four images it is all natural with 5 and six being artificial.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Kay, we were there 4 years ago and it was still a building site then. The change is remarkable. Nice shots.
    It's worth another visit - I wasn't bothered but my husband was adament he wanted to go again - so he was right for once !!

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Kaye,
    I was there four years ago... It is the only building I have encountered which has reduced me to tears! I rate it a wonder of our age.
    - My husband was the same. Go again, it's worth it. Sadly though the outside is now covered in scaffolding and completely 'boxed' in for the construction workers so you can't see it in any meaningful way.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

And thanks to all of you who commented - it is truly a beautiful place.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye Leggett View Post
    John, it wasn't a guided tour so I too have little idea about history/thinking/symbolism of the windows. Also our guidebook is 9 years' old (we were cheapskates and didn't buy one this time) so I have little information about the interior as it was so unfinished then. However it does say that the windows are all designed by one person who has been left to 'interpret' in keeping with Gaudi's ideas. Gaudi was a deeply religious man and I know some of the 'words' are Catalan forms of religious praise/Biblical quotes. All of the windows and artificial lights are designed so that you can't tell whether they are naturally or artificially lit, but I believe in the first four images it is all natural with 5 and six being artificial.
    Kaye,

Thanks for the follow up, I know cathedrals are financed in different ways, so wanted to know the origins of the designs. European countries tend to preserve their architecture and it would be a shame if the origins of specific styles were lost.