Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The greatest thing since sliced bread...video in a DSLR

The greatest thing since sliced bread...video in a DSLR

It was promoted as the greatest thing since sliced bread... video in a DSLR!!! Does anyone have a DSLR with video (you are amongst friends here, you can confess your sins) and more to the point, what have you done with it? Post the movie so we can watch the movie?

I am merely curious. (no sarcasm smilie there BTW)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The greatest thing since sliced bread...

No I don't ... and don't feel the need.

However, once spoke to a guy who lives close by who is a golf photo-journalist (travels the world photographing golf courses for marketing, etc purposes). He said that it was great from his point of view in that he would sometimes want to do an interview with someone (golf course architect, greenkeeper, etc) and would use the camera to record that interview.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I was watching some Moose Peterson videos the other night (on Nikon lenses), where I guess he's using the DSLR because he's shooting through the lens he's reviewing, which means he can demo angle of view and DoF (of fast lenses) quite easily. So there's another use.

To answer your question, I don't believe I have used it on the D5000 yet, but I did use it on my Fuji a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    No I don't ... and don't feel the need.

However, once spoke to a guy who lives close by who is a golf photo-journalist (travels the world photographing golf courses for marketing, etc purposes). He said that it was great from his point of view in that he would sometimes want to do an interview with someone (golf course architect, greenkeeper, etc) and would use the camera to record that interview.
    I can see that it would definitely have a practical use for commercial purposes, as you mentioned. Site architects, planners etc

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I was watching some Moose Peterson videos the other night (on Nikon lenses), where I guess he's using the DSLR because he's shooting through the lens he's reviewing, which means he can demo angle of view and DoF (of fast lenses) quite easily. So there's another use.

To answer your question, I don't believe I have used it on the D5000 yet, but I did use it on my Fuji a few times.
    Perhaps we (that means you, Dave) should video some tutorials for CiC and have a section in the tutorials for them? Sadly, I don't have video (inserts Phew! smilie here) Perhaps you could start with "Shooting water droplets - a tutorial" 16 hours run time, and a lot of bad language.

Real Name
    Jim

I have a 5DII and have done some research on shooting video with it.
    My take on it....if I spend a few thousand for shootgun mike,external audio recorder,stabilizing hardware rig,and a follow focus system. I could shoot video just as good as a $1000 dedicated video camera with the added benefit that I can use different lenses.
    I'll stick to shooting stills.

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Rob;

My 500D/T1i does have a video capability, and I've used it exactly once. We were walking along in Key West while on vacation, and there was a chicken and some chicks beside the sidewalk. I took a couple of pictures, and took a quick video. Let me know if the link doesn't work: it's my first try at a "guest pass" in flickr. I think you do have to have a flickr account to use it.

The video doesn't show the chicken much: by the time I pulled the camera out, it was pretty buried. I don't know why I saved it. This is why the video on a P&S may make more sense, since it's quicker to pull out of a pocket.

I didn't care that the camera had video when I bought it, but it's handy for this kind of thing. I do have a pocket Vivitar flip-video thing, but having video in the camera makes one less thing to carry for this sort of surprise thing.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Let me know if the link doesn't work
    Works just fine, Rick. Like the soundtrack!

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Works just fine, Rick. Like the soundtrack!

Thanks for the verification, Donald. I think the buzzing sound is from the scooters that are all around Key West. People rent them because it's easier to find parking space, and I guess it seems more fun than a car. And you can tell from the sound quality why Jim says he'd get an external audio recorder to do serious video.

Cheers,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
    My take on it....if I spend a few thousand for shootgun mike,external audio recorder,stabilizing hardware rig,and a follow focus system. I could shoot video just as good as a $1000 dedicated video camera...
    I'd get two of everything - one for backup (insert smilie here)

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Hi, Rob;

My 500D/T1i does have a video capability, and I've used it exactly once. We were walking along in Key West while on vacation, and there was a chicken and some chicks beside the sidewalk. I took a couple of pictures, and took a quick video. Let me know if the link doesn't work: it's my first try at a "guest pass" in flickr. I think you do have to have a flickr account to use it.

The video doesn't show the chicken much: by the time I pulled the camera out, it was pretty buried. I don't know why I saved it. This is why the video on a P&S may make more sense, since it's quicker to pull out of a pocket.
    Thanks Rick - that might be the first time that someone has posted their own video on here? "Key West" it has a good sound to it, but I was not sure about the chainsaw going off-camera. Was someone else filming the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 97" in the background? (rolleyes smile there)

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    "Key West" it has a good sound to it, but I was not sure about the chainsaw going off-camera. Was someone else filming the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 97" in the background? (rolleyes smile there)
    I figure it's one or more of the scooters that are like roaches there. People rent them: it's more fun, easier to find parking space, and who needs a car when the island is only about 2 miles by 3 miles?

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    John

The video function would be great for recording outdoor concerts (maybe one or two songs) or the audiences interaction with the music in the background.

Yep I've got a Nikon D90, had it for 17 months and still haven't bothered to find out how to use the video function. If I want video I'll buy a video camera.

Real Name
    Ben

I have a D90 which is supposed to be able to shoot 720p video. The quality looks awful, especially when panning. It might be better using a tripod. If I had bought the camera because of the video feature I would have returned it. Fortunately, it takes pretty good stills .

Real Name
    John

I have a friend who says that the best use of the video function is for capturing lightning. Who wants to sit there trying to time a lightning strike.
    Quote Originally Posted by benm View Post
    I have a D90 which is supposed to be able to shoot 720p video. The quality looks awful, especially when panning. It might be better using a tripod. If I had bought the camera because of the video feature I would have returned it. Fortunately, it takes pretty good stills .

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I have a friend who says that the best use of the video function is for capturing lightning. Who wants to sit there trying to time a lightning strike.
    No need to get the timing particularly close - just open the shutter first and keep it open until the flash (unless it's a particularly long time). So long as there is no significant ambient light then the shutterspeed have any effect on the exposure (exactly the same as studio strobes). (Although personally I prefer to hide under the sheets with a pillow over my head when there's lightening about!)

Real Name
    John

I've seen some southwestern storms on those stormchaser documentaries that would definitely make me want to do the same. I try to time my shots but can never get anything worth keeping when I try to photograph lightning. I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    No need to get the timing particularly close - just open the shutter first and keep it open until the flash (unless it's a particularly long time). So long as there is no significant ambient light then the shutterspeed have any effect on the exposure (exactly the same as studio strobes). (Although personally I prefer to hide under the sheets with a pillow over my head when there's lightening about!)

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    It was promoted as the greatest thing since sliced bread... video in a DSLR!!! Does anyone have a DSLR with video (you are amongst friends here, you can confess your sins) and more to the point, what have you done with it? Post the movie so we can watch the movie?

I am merely curious. (no sarcasm smilie there BTW)
    Are we talking about thick sliced bread with thick crusts here because I dunno if it's quite that good

I've had a wee play with the video on my 7D - Clicky. I've got myself a constant light LED "ringflash" torch thingy to use instead of the focus lamps on a macro flash since then but the species I want to use it on aren't about up here yet. Am keeping my eyes peeled and hoping I can get enough light onto them when I do find some.

I also have a helmet mounted camera for when I'm out on my bike. Need to get it up the hills for some proper runs though....
    Helmet cam 1
    Helmet cam 2

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I remember when video capability was introduced to high-end models there was concern that since video rights and photographic rights were usually different contracts at major events, photographers may not be allowed to use these new "all in one" cameras. Does anyone know if this turned out to cause any issues in the end?

Personally I get frustrated that I can't even use a still camera at most major events.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast