Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Door is locked.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Door is locked.

C.C. appreciated. I know it's a bit soft, but that's due more to my resizing for Flickr than anything else.
    Door is locked.

Re: Door is locked.

No image displayed ?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    No image displayed ?
    I see one, but it could be fixed by now if there was a problem originally.

Klickit,

I trust you are sharpening after down sizing?
    Or do you mean this is a flickr downsized version from a larger one you posted there?
    You might find this post useful

Anyway, it's not too bad on the locks themselves, although the hasp bolts are softer, that probably indicates a DoF issue.

Padlocks look well handled (rounded corners)

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 16th May 2010 at 08:53 AM.

Some really good colours here, and I like the composition. I like rust shots like this, but I find you really need to boost the colour and contrast to make it zing, I did a quick edit, if that's OK, just to boost the contrast and dodge and burn that area in the centre to make it stand out. As Dave said, you really need to sharpen your down-sized images (even if they were sharp before) so I also sharpened it. Can you see how the wood-grain detail looks much more pronounced in the edit?

Hope you don't mind. OTTH.

Original
    Door is locked.
    Edited versionDoor is locked.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Dave, I honestly can't remember what d/size method I used originally, but if it was what I do now, which is using Urfanview, it natively sharpens when it downsizes. The one posted here is the largest size on flickr.

I have had a look at your suggestions - need to print that off so I can see it next time.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Re: Door is locked. Rob....

...I'm quite happy for you to twiddle and tweak. Funny, but I pushed the original quite a lot as it was, but your version really zings!!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Dave, I honestly can't remember what d/size method I used originally, but if it was what I do now, which is using Urfanview, it natively sharpens when it downsizes. The one posted here is the largest size on flickr.

I have had a look at your suggestions - need to print that off so I can see it next time.
    Thanks, I have just been adding to that post, so it should be better now (more self contained and comprehensive).

Now Rob has sharpened it, I can see real pixel edges - was this perhaps a crop off a much larger image?

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    ...I'm quite happy for you to twiddle and tweak. Funny, but I pushed the original quite a lot as it was, but your version really zings!!
    As I said, I do a lot of shots like this myself. But at the end of the day it's a shot of something that may not have much of a dialogue. So you have to grab the attention by really making it stand out. IOW, its shape, texture colour etc are it's only qualities, and you have to really emphasis them. Did you shoot this in RAW? If you want to really boost a shot you have to start with a RAW file. If you did, you might want to post it here http://uploading.com/signup/ and I can download it and have a go at editing it. You will need to send me the link. Up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Now Rob has sharpened it, I can see real pixel edges - was this perhaps a crop off a much larger image?
    Yes, it does look a bit lumpy!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Dave, I'd have to have a look, but IIRC it was only cropped a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    As I said, I do a lot of shots like this myself. But at the end of the day it's a shot of something that may not have much of a dialogue. So you have to grab the attention by really making it stand out. IOW, its shape, texture colour etc are it's only qualities, and you have to really emphasis them. Did you shoot this in RAW? If you want to really boost a shot you have to start with a RAW file. If you did, you might want to post it here http://uploading.com/signup/ and I can download it and have a go at editing it. You will need to send me the link. Up to you.
    Can't recall, but I think it was in RAW. It's on the other h/drive, and it's getting too late to dig that out this evening, but I'll have another look at it and reprocess.

Thanks for the feedback - I'm learning heaps from the people here.

Real Name
    Steve

The colors are fantastic and the sharpening really helps. Great photo

I Rob's new version is really good. Sharpening obviously is important here to bring the image out.